Met Jay Richardson this morning/small nugget about our defense (2 Viewers)

60minutes

Camp Body
Reaction score
So I was talking with Richardson this morning who is trying to make the squad as a 5-tech DE. He'll basically be competing with Kenyon Coleman to be Cameron Jordan's backup. Though Coleman has the perceivable edge, Richardson started out with Rob in Oakland and has also played for Rex. Anyway, he said that though he's a five-tech DE, he said Rob has indicated that he will sometimes line them up at LB in a heavy set. He said you can almost bet that Cam Jordan will be used as an OLB at times. He said he even asked Rob should him slim down a bit (he's 280) but Rob said he's at the ideal weight.

I love the idea of using Cam Jordan as a rush backer in certain sets as he has a unique skillset that we finally seem like we will take full advantage.

So I was talking with Richardson this morning who is trying to make the squad as a 5-tech DE. He'll basically be competing with Kenyon Coleman to be Cameron Jordan's backup. Though Coleman has the perceivable edge, Richardson started out with Rob in Oakland and has also played for Rex. Anyway, he said that though he's a five-tech DE, he said Rob has indicated that he will sometimes line them up at LB in a heavy set. He said you can almost bet that Cam Jordan will be used as an OLB at times. He said he even asked Rob should him slim down a bit (he's 280) but Rob said he's at the ideal weight.

I love the idea of using Cam Jordan as a rush backer in certain sets as he has a unique skillset that we finally seem like we will take full advantage.

I like the idea of Jordan being on the field because he actually GETS to the QB, so anywhere you line him up is fine by me.

He said you can almost bet that Cam Jordan will be used as an OLB at times. He said he even asked Rob should him slim down a bit (he's 280) but Rob said he's at the ideal weight.

I think the best pass rushers in NFL history have been in the 240-260 range.

Talked about this in the who will be our LBs thread
I wouldn't be surprised if ryan develops several tweeners to cause offensive confusion esp on 3rd downs

Is this just another way of saying Goal line defense? Harper said he is playing linebacker in quarter sets, should he bulk up 15 or 20 llb's?

As to the OP's point, Cam Jordan actually stood up as an OLB at Cal a bit, so he has done it before. I love the idea to get more beef on the field.

Who's the backup 3-tech then?

Hicks will probably start, and Tom Johnson will surely back him up. Tyrunn Walker is in the mix, plus our UDFAs.

I could see Richardson and Coleman both making the team, while an upstart potential guy on the DL gets the redshirt stash, or Practice Squad or even release.

Who's the backup 3-tech then?

There typically isn't anyone playing the 3Tech in a 34. The ends play 5 Tech and the NT plays 0tech. Obviously this changes in reality from down to down and even more so in a 1Gap, but they are still typically called 5Techs.

There typically isn't anyone playing the 3Tech in a 34. The ends play 5 Tech and the NT plays 0tech. Obviously this changes in reality from down to down and even more so in a 1Gap, but they are still typically called 5Techs.

The ends play 5-tech in a 2-gap scheme; we are running a 1-gap scheme, as you pointed out so it does change in that scheme. Right now, Jordan is the starting 5-tech and I assume Hicks or Smith will be the starting 3-tech. So

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom