Metal roof or shingles? Cheaper? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I have a house I've been trying to sell for over a year and it's been at a stand still for about 8 months. I am currently renting it, but it could use some TLC. I am at a pretty tight situation with money, but if I will continue renting, I will need to do home improvements. It currently has the OLD style tin roof, which is in OK shape, but it looks bad.

I was thinking of changing to roof to either a metal or putting shingles. It is a fairly small house, with a simple frame at about 700sq ft. I don't really mind putting shingles if it will save me a ton of money up front. I think I will sell it before they will need to be changed, or I hope so anyway. My question for those with experience, will I save a large sum of money by going shingle?

I have a house I've been trying to sell for over a year and it's been at a stand still for about 8 months. I am currently renting it, but it could use some TLC. I am at a pretty tight situation with money, but if I will continue renting, I will need to do home improvements. It currently has the OLD style tin roof, which is in OK shape, but it looks bad.

I was thinking of changing to roof to either a metal or putting shingles. It is a fairly small house, with a simple frame at about 700sq ft. I don't really mind putting shingles if it will save me a ton of money up front. I think I will sell it before they will need to be changed, or I hope so anyway. My question for those with experience, will I save a large sum of money by going shingle?

Many people like metal roofs because of the way they look when aged. Post a picture if you can, but unless it's leaking I probably wouldn't do anything except perhaps clean and paint or just clean it.

Shingles are cheaper than metal. Depending on the code where you are, the metal is probably 150-200% more expensive. Of course, you've got a very small building so I assume it's a very small roof.

It it's 14 squares of roof, you're probably looking at 2800 for shingles and depending on style of roof and metal chosen you could be as much as $5600 by the time you install proper flashing, closures and trim.

If it's a rental, do as little to it as you can unless it's luxury and you need to to keep up the price.

And, I hate metal roofs. Based on your situation, I'm assuming you're talking about the least expensive option so that would be an exposed fastener, screwed-down metal roof. The cheaper the material the more likely it is to oil-can and show ripples. It will show marks from hail or pine cones. Every 4-5 years you may need to remove and replace the screws as the rubber gaskets age. And, if they leak it's hard to trouble shoot sometimes.

And, the number one reason to hate metal roofs:

Insurance companies don't have to pay to match. If you get a tree limb that falls on a couple panels, they're going to pay only for the damaged panels. Then you have a mismatched and devalued roof and any buyer will consider it when negotiating price.

Go with dimensional shingles and if you're going to keep it long term, opt for a secondary waterproofing membrane instead of felt. It will be cheaper than metal and last a good long time.

Many people like metal roofs because of the way they look when aged. Post a picture if you can, but unless it's leaking I probably wouldn't do anything except perhaps clean and paint or just clean it.

Shingles are cheaper than metal. Depending on the code where you are, the metal is probably 150-200% more expensive. Of course, you've got a very small building so I assume it's a very small roof.

It it's 14 squares of roof, you're probably looking at 2800 for shingles and depending on style of roof and metal chosen you could be as much as $5600 by the time you install proper flashing, closures and trim.

If it's a rental, do as little to it as you can unless it's luxury and you need to to keep up the price.

And, I hate metal roofs. Based on your situation, I'm assuming you're talking about the least expensive option so that would be an exposed fastener, screwed-down metal roof. The cheaper the material the more likely it is to oil-can and show ripples. It will show marks from hail or pine cones. Every 4-5 years you may need to remove and replace the screws as the rubber gaskets age. And, if they leak it's hard to trouble shoot sometimes.

And, the number one reason to hate metal roofs:

Insurance companies don't have to pay to match. If you get a tree limb that falls on a couple panels, they're going to pay only for the damaged panels. Then you have a mismatched and devalued roof and any buyer will consider it when negotiating price.

Go with dimensional shingles and if you're going to keep it long term, opt for a secondary waterproofing membrane instead of felt. It will be cheaper than metal and last a good long time.

Thanks. I have a family member who will be going out and telling me how much I would need. I am really, at this point, making it better curb appeal. From what I've been told, people are not looking for fixer uppers in the area. Of course, that's just one person who said that. I don't believe there is any wood under the roof, which adds quite a bit of cost if there isn't. I will have to go see this weekend. I don't have any long term plans on keeping this property, but I can't make people buy it. I am selling at what is owed and I am getting nothing.

Thanks. I have a family member who will be going out and telling me how much I would need. I am really, at this point, making it better curb appeal. From what I've been told, people are not looking for fixer uppers in the area. Of course, that's just one person who said that. I don't believe there is any wood under the roof, which adds quite a bit of cost if there isn't. I will have to go see this weekend. I don't have any long term plans on keeping this property, but I can't make people buy it. I am selling at what is owed and I am getting nothing.

So, you've got no roof decking and the metal is installed barn style over the rafters or with some spaced nailers, right? No problem.

Anyway, if you haven't sold it or had any action, you've probably got it priced too high. If that's what you owe on it and don't want to come with cash to close, then hopefully it's paying enough in rent to cover your payment.

If so, keep it and let someone else pay for it for you.

15-20 years from now when it's paid for you'll have a little cash flow to go with your old age!

My question for those with experience, will I save a large sum of money by going shingle?

To answer that question...I can say that when we built our house up here in the Bossier City area (in 2011), the cost of a metal roof (with no decking under it) was approximately 2.5 times the cost of shingles with decking.

So, you've got no roof decking and the metal is installed barn style over the rafters or with some spaced nailers, right? No problem.

Anyway, if you haven't sold it or had any action, you've probably got it priced too high. If that's what you owe on it and don't want to come with cash to close, then hopefully it's paying enough in rent to cover your payment.

If so, keep it and let someone else pay for it for you.

15-20 years from now when it's paid for you'll have a little cash flow to go with your old age!

I was talking to my dad and we not believe there are slates under the tin. If so, this is a huge bonus. I will work on the calculations. Thanks for the input.

I just purchased 992sq of 26 gauge metal for a porch. Just under $1,000 including all the screws and closure strips. You would also need whatever flashing and trim.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom