Metallica essentially censored themselves (1 Viewer)

woohoosaint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'm a former NOLA club band musician (80s/90s) and I can definitely understand Metallica's fight for protecting their product...but it came back to bite them in a funny kind of way.
They were doing an online performance of For Whom The Bell Tolls for the BlizzCon gaming convention when the performance was automatically censored due to copyright infringement (DMCA) ...

Metallica sucks for destroying how awesome napster was. Do you know what Alice Cooper says about people pirating his music? As long as they are listening to his music he doesn't care.

It's kinda odd to censor a live performance of a song due to copyright, when the copyright holder is doing the performance....

Isnt it just that Twitch screwed up?

It isnt like Metallica was the first concert via Twitch. Right?

Metallica sucks for destroying how awesome napster was. Do you know what Alice Cooper says about people pirating his music? As long as they are listening to his music he doesn't care.

Pretty sure Metallica wasn't the only one. And tbh, I don't blame them. Several other big time musicians did the same, including Prince iirc.

In fairness it wasn't just Metallica, and all they did was ask that existing law be enforced. I think people who create should be entitled to their own view on how to protect their creations. Some will take Alice Cooper's view, others will take Metallica's.

What's more interesting is what has happened since then, with the streaming platforms basically putting an end to record sales as we knew them.

In fairness it wasn't just Metallica, and all they did was ask that existing law be enforced. I think people who create should be entitled to their own view on how to protect their creations. Some will take Alice Cooper's view, others will take Metallica's.

What's more interesting is what has happened since then, with the streaming platforms basically putting an end to record sales as we knew them.
We old people still buy new stuff if we like it. What changed for me is that I'm now able to find out if the album is a dud with one good song before I buy it.

I'm sure that young people don't buy though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom