Metallica (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have known about Metallica since I was a teenager, but had never listened to their music beyond Enter Sandman and One. I always thought their music pre Black would be too heavy/fast for me.

I discovered Spotify a few months ago and have had fun putting together playlists I enjoy. While adding Enter Sandman and One to the rock list, I took a listen to Wherever I May Roam and loved it. Having never listened to their older stuff, I decided to check it out. Have to say I was missing out on some pretty awesome heavy metal. I just watched their Live S... Binge & Purge in Seattle 1989 concert. Pretty crazy, but the music was solid.

I've been listening to their stuff for 3 days straight now. Weird.

Just play the entire Master of Puppets album on repeat, then when you get tired of that do the same to Ride the Lightening, then when you get tired of that play And Justice for All. Just listen to the complexities of each song. The massive amount of riffs that are each unique and you can tell they came from the fingers of Hetfield. I am a Metallica apologist for sure, but their first 5 albums are some of the most legendary stuff ears have ever heard.

What 44slayer said \m/

Puppets, Lightning and Justice are all superb albums, start to finish, their best IMO. Kill 'Em All, Black Album and most of the Loads are great too (e.g. Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn).

Check out the Garage Days covers album as well.

I would personally give St Anger and Lulu a swerve.

What 44slayer said \m/

Puppets, Lightning and Justice are all superb albums, start to finish, their best IMO. Kill 'Em All, Black Album and most of the Loads are great too (e.g. Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn).

skip lulu and st anger and go into death magnetic (with the EP as well).... death magnetic SHREDS

And use the angle button on your DVD remote on S&M. You can watch each members vantage point for a few songs.

What 44slayer said \m/

I thought you were talking about SR.com members here :hihi:

I'm a big fan of the Black Album, Load, and Garage Inc. While I appreciate the intensity of the older stuff, it's not my thing on a day in/out basis.

:rock:

Watch S&M, you'll thank me later.

I did, f...ing amazing. Lol. Anyone who says Metallica isn't good music is just ignorant, heh.

FWIW, today I'm going through each album from earliest to latest. I've heard enough to think there's more good stuff to be heard. I am actually finding many of the lyrics are pretty meaningful. I wouldn't have ever guessed that.

So far my faves are Wherever I May Roam, One, Blackened and Sad But True.

I actually like most of the live versions better. Particularly live versions of their first two albums. It seems like Hetfield's voice got deeper in subsequent albums, which I much prefer. His growling gets better with time, heh.

The live version Enter Sandman in Moscow is freaking crazy. Can't imagine 1.6 million people crammed in one place for a concert.

If I could only pick one album from them to listen to the rest of my life it would be Master of Puppets. The sound changed when Cliff died. Black is great album but imo the preceding albums are what Metallica is.

I'm very partial to Justice, personally. I think what they were going through after Cliff's death showed in that album. I feel bad for Jason as he was put in the background and really was taking a lot of abuse as the new member. I wish he would have stayed with them.

I agree on Justice and if you look on YouTube, you can find and Justice for Jason,which are just remasters of what the album should have sounded like. It's incredible.

Justice is my favorite album, the 3 before are all master pieces but Jutice was the first one I heard and got me hooked to Metallica, I need to see that video you mentioned when I get a chance

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom