Miami doctor's call to broker during baby's delivery leads to $33.8 million judgment (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know a lot of people think that these kind of high judgments are one of the things wrong with our healthcare system but it seems to be completely justified in this case
======================================================

Marla Dixon was in the final stage of labor and ready to deliver a baby boy when the obstetrician arrived at her bedside at North Shore Medical Center in Miami.

It was not a high-risk pregnancy. But over the next 90 minutes, the doctor made a series of missteps that led to a tragic outcome for Dixon and her baby - and a $33.8 million malpractice judgment, according to a federal lawsuit.

The doctor ordered nurses to restart a drug to strengthen contractions, failed to perform a Cesarean section - and walked away from Dixon's room for long periods, once for an eight-minute phone call from his stockbroker, the verdict said.

By the time the baby was delivered on Dec. 2, 2013, he was blue in the face and his limbs were limp, according to the verdict handed down by U.S. District Judge Robert Scola. It took a medical team to revive the infant, named Earl, Jr., and by then he had severe brain damage from lack of oxygen, according to the lawsuit filed by Dixon and the boy's father, Earl Reese-Thornton, Sr.

The doctor, Dixon said later, blamed her for not pushing hard enough. He also tried to cover his tracks by falsifying the 19-year-old mother's medical record with a note that made it appear she had refused a C-section, according to the testimony of the nurse in charge of delivery............

Miami doctor's call to broker during baby's delivery leads to $33.8 million judgment

from the same article. How in the world does this guy still have his license? or isn't suspended from practicing pending an investigation
=========================================================

Despite the verdict in Dixon's case, Atogho has not received a reprimand and no other disciplinary action has been taken against his Florida medical license for the incident. He's not personally liable for the $33.8 million judgment, either.

That's messed up.

How can that doctor not have been reprimanded or punished? I mean, he was fired from the group, but is still licensed.

there were multiple cases.

Had a conversation with disenchanted orthopedic surgeon last week at a function for Ms. Caliente's MBA program. Guy was upset because "the only people in medicine making money these days are the hospitals", and he went on to tell me how he had worked 11 hours the day before, and only made $900 for the day (net; after all his expenses). I had to hold back the tears for the guy. It's got to be rough. In my family we have a few doctors in Cuba, and they make $50 a month...the same as a trash collector, or teacher, or everyone else.

I get it, poor guy isn't bringing in the 500-300k like he was a few years back, and there are more restrictions on his profession, but man, you guys are doing it to yourselves as much as anyone is doing it to you.

from the same article. How in the world does this guy still have his license? or isn't suspended from practicing pending an investigation
=========================================================

Despite the verdict in Dixon's case, Atogho has not received a reprimand and no other disciplinary action has been taken against his Florida medical license for the incident. He's not personally liable for the $33.8 million judgment, either.

I highlighted the answer for you.

Cue BobE...

That's messed up.

How can that doctor not have been reprimanded or punished? I mean, he was fired from the group, but is still licensed.

there were multiple cases.

OB is one of the most litigious fields in medicine. Most doctors have been sued for malpractice at least couple of times throughout their careers in this field. I'm not defending his case in particular without more information, but the multiple cases against him might be as strong an indication of repeated incompetence as it might seem.

Also while his personal phone call and poor decisions can be shown to be potential causes for the botched delivery in hindsight, it might be hard to prove that he was making grossly incompetent decisions in the moment that directly resulted in injury. The difference in this case is that it provides an avenue for a malpractice suit but might not be enough to remove his license completely.

There are a lot of really bad doctors unfortunately, but there is also a shortage in many more rural areas and in many of the more primary care specialties. Many of these guys probably should lose their license but since the process of replacing each doctor takes about 12 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars it puts a TON of pressure to only remove those doctors that are the most grossly negligent.

Again I don't know the specifics of this specific case but just wanted to attempt to show some of the complexities in why he might not have had his license revoked after a $30+ million dollar lawsuit.

I would imagine that the only reason he's not at that clinic or any other FQHC is because FTCA (the agency that insured him) told that clinic they were dropping him and they needed to as well.

This is the type of stuff that needs to be public. As an HR director in healthcare, I would see all of this once I run my background check on him through the data bank for medical professionals. But the public needs to have access to this info to make cognizant decisions about who they want as a healthcare provider, just as I have access to it as an employer.

florida.gif

Had a conversation with disenchanted orthopedic surgeon last week at a function for Ms. Caliente's MBA program. Guy was upset because "the only people in medicine making money these days are the hospitals", and he went on to tell me how he had worked 11 hours the day before, and only made $900 for the day (net; after all his expenses). I had to hold back the tears for the guy. It's got to be rough. In my family we have a few doctors in Cuba, and they make $50 a month...the same as a trash collector, or teacher, or everyone else.

I get it, poor guy isn't bringing in the 500-300k like he was a few years back, and there are more restrictions on his profession, but man, you guys are doing it to yourselves as much as anyone is doing it to you.

Clueless.....

Comparing Cuba where independent taxi drivers make more than government doctors is a poor choice.

$900 Net: You realize your doctor gave up 4 years of earnings and took on a $250k loan to go to Medical School. Accrued 4 years of interest on that loan. Then worked 3, 4, or more years of 70+ hours weeks for maybe $50-60k in a high cost of living area. Maybe take more loans to start a practice where they pay for staff, equipment, lease, advertising, insurance. Paid thousands to maintain accreditation during conferences where they make zero dollars if they aren't seeing patients. Only to work 11 hrs a day for the next 20 years to get out of soul crushing debt. There is a reason your GPs stop taking your insurance and move to fee for service, 100% out of pocket models. The reimbursement is actually not great and the large dollars earned come with equally large expenses.

Clueless.....

Comparing Cuba where independent taxi drivers make more than government doctors is a poor choice.

$900 Net: You realize your doctor gave up 4 years of earnings and took on a $250k loan to go to Medical School. Accrued 4 years of interest on that loan. Then worked 3, 4, or more years of 70+ hours weeks for maybe $50-60k in a high cost of living area. Maybe take more loans to start a practice where they pay for staff, equipment, lease, advertising, insurance. Paid thousands to maintain accreditation during conferences where they make zero dollars if they aren't seeing patients. Only to work 11 hrs a day for the next 20 years to get out of soul crushing debt. There is a reason your GPs stop taking your insurance and move to fee for service, 100% out of pocket models. The reimbursement is actually not great and the large dollars earned come with equally large expenses.

Between my wife and I, we see around 8-10 doctors in a given year (most years I just see 1 and she sees 2-3). Not a single one is doing what you say they're doing. They all take insurance. They are all doing well.

That being said, we also don't know from that anecdotal story what "after expenses means". The staff salaries, rent, electric, their own pay? Was that a typical day or an abnormal one?

900*26*5 = $117,000. I have a feeling most days aren't that bad.

Between my wife and I, we see around 8-10 doctors in a given year (most years I just see 1 and she sees 2-3). Not a single one is doing what you say they're doing. They all take insurance. They are all doing well.

That being said, we also don't know from that anecdotal story what "after expenses means". The staff salaries, rent, electric, their own pay? Was that a typical day or an abnormal one?

A career in medicine gives you pretty good stability but rising competitiveness and tuition rates are making it it far less lucrative than it once was. So older doctors are probably much better off than younger ones.

The average age for incoming medical students is now about 25 depending on the school. The average cost for private medical schools is about $80,000/yr and public ones are $50,000/yr. So not including college debt people typically leave medical school at age 29 with $200,000-$320,000 in debt.

4-8 years of residency/fellowship will pay $60,000 with more for fellowship which is enough to make some payment but not really cut into the debt so now you are 35ish with still huge and growing debt.

Now you jump up to $150,000-$300,000 salary but you are placed in the highest tax bracket regardless of your debt. So while you are making good money you are probably living averagely or have massive debt for the next 5-10 years until you are 40-45.

So yes, you have fantastic income but when do you focus on marriage? When do you start a family? How many kids can you have before you are 40 and increase the risk of developmental problems.

This debt can get out of hand really quickly when you add a family so physicians are forced into a few options:

1) Chase the money in high paying specialties which causes the shortages in primary care.
2) Join the military to get debt waived.
3) Pledge to practice in a rural area to get debt waived.
4) Pledge to practice in primary care to get debt waived.

Obviously there are many worse situations. But money can still be a stressful
issue for someone making >$150,000/yr given certain context.

I would imagine so.

OB/GYN is one of the best paid in the medical field. I should know. I cry every two weeks, reviewing payroll, about being in the wrong field. And I'm at a non-profit organization. I can only imagine what one would make in the private sector.

Hell, I remember one, who specializes in high-risk pregnancies, asked for $1,000 a day to work for only four hours a day. Doctors are very well off.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom