Miami Vice House… (1 Viewer)

I feel like this is very similar to the situation in Austin.. i spent a lot of time in Austin over the past 10 or 15 yrs, and real estate was always expensive there in comparison to nearby cities like Dallas, Houston and SA- but over the last 2 or 3 yrs, it has gotten to almost CA prices…. And there’s obvs a reason they call Austin ‘Silicon Valley South’, the number of tech jobs there is astounding…. All things equal, I’d probably prefer Denver over Austin, but Denver is a little further from family in NOLA than I’d prefer to be, and Austin is unfortunately still in TX :) … which is why i dont live in either.

Yeah, the real estate market has been booming in Austin for quite some time.

My wife and I closed on new construction in August of 2020 and the builder’s starting price has increased by more than 30% since then. Lumber and other material costs, combined with already high demand, have driven home prices at a ridiculous rate.

Robin's nest was for sale 6 years ago. Only asking 15 million. Cannot image what is would be valued at today...

It has since been demolished.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in California. I would need to more than double my wages just to keep my current lifestyle.

So my neighbor ( moving here in April 2022 full time ) has lived in SF for 31 years. Paid $228,000 for his home in early 90s. He will sell for $1.2mm ( Zillow has his home at $1.333mm ) He is absolutely giddy lol. As he should be.

You now have Denver blowing up because tech folks realizing they can get same size home in Denver area for about 20% less. ( which aint much less but less nontheless )

My sisters neighbor - 2 bd rm 1.5 bath - 1360~ sq ft...sold for $679,000 LOLOLOLOL

That is INSANITY. Oh and its 40+ years old.

A similar thing is happening here in SW Washington. When Portland became so popular, people started looking at places within commute distance.
Prices are getting nuts.

Sooo…. What you’re saying is you COULD be paid enough ?? :shrug:
No, the hassle and pain of having to move wouldn't be worth it. I visited California twice and am of the opinion, no tears would be shed if it fell into the ocean.

No, the hassle and pain of having to move wouldn't be worth it. I visited California twice and am of the opinion, no tears would be shed if it fell into the ocean.
this is what i don't get - California is probably the most geographically diverse state
you got beach (several kinds of beach types), you got mountains, you got redwoods, you got desserts, you got wine country and farmland
i'm sure LA is what more try to bag on when they think of Cali, but LA is so stupidly diversified that no one really has much notion of what LA as a whole is -- like NYC had 5 (fairly different) boroughs. LA probably has 20+ majorly different neighborhoods
Bay Area has a similar breadth of diversification
and if you're scared of the libness of each there are plenty of right leaning pockets in those two and of course San Diego and much of NoCal

now if your argument is Cali is too expensive - as far as cities go, that's a valid argument - the rest of the general dismissal of Cali? not so much

this is what i don't get - California is probably the most geographically diverse state
you got beach (several kinds of beach types), you got mountains, you got redwoods, you got desserts, you got wine country and farmland
i'm sure LA is what more try to bag on when they think of Cali, but LA is so stupidly diversified that no one really has much notion of what LA as a whole is -- like NYC had 5 (fairly different) boroughs. LA probably has 20+ majorly different neighborhoods
Bay Area has a similar breadth of diversification
and if you're scared of the libness of each there are plenty of right leaning pockets in those two and of course San Diego and much of NoCal

now if your argument is Cali is too expensive - as far as cities go, that's a valid argument - the rest of the general dismissal of Cali? not so much

Yeah the whole ‘i wish Cali would fall into the ocean thing’ is so played out.. this dood probably thinks he’s original with that take, but unfortunately ive heard many people of a certain, ahem, ‘ilk’ say the exact same thing over the years…. What makes them look even more foolish is that, i swear to god- i met more rednecks living in CA than i ever met in TX… seriously , at one time i worked at a place about 30 minutes inland from Los Angeles, though still in LA County- and almost every employee there drove big jacked up pickup trucks and listened to country music.. on weekends, they went out to the desert and messed around on their toys and drank beer, just like folks in Louisiana and Texas might do… and this wasnt even some far flung part of California, it was in LA County !

Yeah the whole ‘i wish Cali would fall into the ocean thing’ is so played out.. this dood probably thinks he’s original with that take, but unfortunately ive heard many people of a certain, ahem, ‘ilk’ say the exact same thing over the years…. What makes them look even more foolish is that, i swear to god- i met more rednecks living in CA than i ever met in TX… seriously , at one time i worked at a place about 30 minutes inland from Los Angeles, though still in LA County- and almost every employee there drove big jacked up pickup trucks and listened to country music.. on weekends, they went out to the desert and messed around on their toys and drank beer, just like folks in Louisiana and Texas might do… and this wasnt even some far flung part of California, it was in LA County !
You point out an interesting phenomenon- I think when someone moves to a new place they are faced with the choice to assimilate or do the exact opposite -
no one in Tx needs to show off as a redneck (except in Dallas) bc it’s assumed

when I had my house in N Tx I decided to paint it very vibrant colors - it was only afterwards that I noticed all other houses were white/grey - I am sure subconsciously I knew that and instinctively went for contrast
if all the other houses were different colors, who knows what I would have picked

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom