Michael Crabtree (1 Viewer)

You cant judge Crabtree off last yr, not with what they were doing in Bmore with Jackson @qb....all I remember is Crabtree burning us on 4th down on the face. In the slot with his vet savvy, with Thomas and Ginn outside and Cook working the seams. Salary probably holding him up plus these vets dont like to be obligated to these OTAs either.

The sad part is Smith should have had a crap ton of catches considering he got the starting nod when Ginn went down, but outside of two games, he couldn’t produce. I’m sure Crabtree would’ve done way better if he was in our starting lineup when Ginn went down. There is no guarantee that Smith will even take a leap this year. He literally did not seize his opportunity last year.....when we needed him to. Kirkwood actually made some pretty clutch catches last year. I have more faith in him , than Smith
I get that, but Sean Payton is on record saying that he sees a big year two jump for Smith, and I believe I can see where he's coming from. The kid had a good catch percentage and showed some real promise last year, but he came from a non-power five run first spread offense with a limited route tree.

And off the top of my head, I can't think of a solid wide receiver in the league that came from either UCF (recently) or a Chip Kelly based college offense (at all).

Also, the year two season for Saints wide receivers not named Michael Thomas or Marques Colston seem to be, as a general rule exponentially better than the first. So I'm pretty excited to see how he develops.

I wasn't saying throw the bank at this guy. He would command a very low salary for a shot at a Superbowl. In football you win by scoring more points than your opponent and this guy has money in the red zone. Brees jumping over the top of the center at the goal line scares me every time he does it.

Shouldn't we be signing this guy instead of worried about getting mccoy?

Uhhhh.....

Is this a serious question?

We have a lot more depth at WR then we do at DT right now.

We play in a 4-3 scheme. Which means 2 starting DT, one of which is a Nose and the other a 3 tech. With Rankins injury and the unknown surrounding Onyematta. I would imagine DT will be at the forefront of the FO's list once training camp rolls around and some veterans start to become Cap Casualties.

I dont think this team has any PRESSING NEED but if I had to pick one it would def be DT by a longshot. More specifically, probably a 3 tech.

WR isnt even 2nd or 3rd on my list.

I think the position group is pretty well appointed.

Thomas is obvious.
Tre'Quan Smith isn't in any danger, and is due a year two leap.
Ginn is probably safe and slotted as the starter opposite Thomas.
Meredith...well who really knows. The team thinks he's still a viable option by their restructuring of his deal.
Kirkwood was pretty good in limited action. And I think there's four or so rookies gunning for his slot, and it is a smart play to have that role as a young and developing player.

With Cook and Latavius Murray on board, I think your three top targeted players are set, and would even opine that the top five targeted players going forward are well spoken for.

Now, does Crabtree replace Meredith or Ginn directly? Maybe. I just don't see a good fit here, or really a need in the position group or meeting room.

I know it ain’t lookin too encouraging right now, but Im still pulling for Meredith. If we went into the season opener with Cook, and MT, Ginn, Tre n Kirkwood at WR, I think we’ll be in good shape.

It’s just that having a healthy Meredith makes us that much better! Along with good size, speed n hands, IMO, after MT, Meredith is our next best pure route runner. N I could be wrong, but I jus sensed a bit of chemistry brewing between him n Drew last year.

As frustrating as it is, there’s need to rush him back at this point. There’s about 2 months before the start of TC. We’ll likely have to wait until then to see what his status is.

I'm actually a little surprised no one has signed Crabtree yet. He has been productive everywhere he's been. I give him a pass for last season because of the QB and scheme change the Ravens had. Three teams come to mind where he may be good fit: Lions, Dolphins and Redskins.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom