Michael Lombardi: Saints Best Option Is To “Tear It Down And Rebuild” (1 Viewer)

I’m confused tear what down we have a very good team.

Last edited:
I did listen to the interview. Nothing he says is really egregious to be honest. If you only extract from the interview, 'Lombardi says saints should tear up team and rebuild' then that's a very poor take.

I think though the main thrust of what he said was that, at some point, the Saints may need to sit down and decide to stop using the credit card to max out the cap, ease back on the spending and get to a cap position where they have more flexibility and room to operate going forward. I think that's essentially what he was saying, and that's essentially what Loomis has said they wanted to do.

He also said mission one was for the team to find a QB. He thought Jameis at this point was considered a short term option who might yet develop, but hadn't quite done enough yet for the Saints. Which, tbf, chimes with the Saints' pursuit of Deshaun Watson and then falling back to Winston, who got a short term deal.

So, if you ignore the sensational headline, I don't really think what he said was crazy and much has been proven correct. I do think though that it's very clear that what Lombardi thinks is hard to achieve or only a small possibility, is something Loomis can do in his sleep. For Lombardi, I think, getting the cap under control necessitates fielding a much weaker team, Loomis manages to do this while also building a better team, albeit with some additional risks (Maye injury, legals; Penning is a rookie, etc). One plays Checkers, the other Chess.
His main take implied the Saints weren't in a position to make moves to replenish the roster, that talent was scarce, and that Jameis was probably not the answer at QB. It also implied that our cap situation was unfixable the way it was and that it would be best to start over....

Fast fwd 4mos, and look at team Loomis and DA put together...and still with cap space to maneuver...

Had the Saints took his advice that would have been an EGREGIOUS!! mistake.

His main take implied the Saints weren't in a position to make moves to replenish the roster, that talent was scarce, and that Jameis was probably not the answer at QB. It also implied that our cap situation was unfixable the way it was and that it would be best to start over....

Fast fwd 4mos, and look at team Loomis and DA put together...and still with cap space to maneuver...

That's why he's an analyst not a GM or coach.

I think I heard it slightly differently and what you say he implied didn't really register that way with me.

Certainly re: QB, he was saying that us getting Rodgers or Wilson was not realistic (Seattle won't trade Wilson because then they have nobody except Geno at QB - oops). Mentioned Taysom not being the answer, mainly due to injuries, which I think is a pretty limited analysis. Then had to be prompted by Deuce about Winston (who to be fair was out of contract so not technically a member of the team after the NFL season ended).

But yeah, as I say, if Lombardi was our GM we'd be suffering I suspect.

Last edited:
Much of the NFL "bigwigs" and sports media agrees with Lombardi. You can tell by the number of 12 Noon Central Time games on the schedule.

Hopefully these "experts" will be in for a big surprise when the season gets into full swing.

Much of the NFL "bigwigs" and sports media agrees with Lombardi. You can tell by the number of 12 Noon Central Time games on the schedule.

Hopefully these "experts" will be in for a big surprise when the season gets into full swing.
The analysts definitely seem “baffled” by the Saints offseason moves which shows me that they haven’t been watching or paying even the slightest bit of attention to the team.

The comments like “why are the Saints approaching the offseason like they are a couple of pieces away from contending!?!”

Why? Because they are and they’d know that if they’d spent 5 minutes looking at the roster and the 9 wins from last season.

The Saints are in a prove it year every year as far as most analysts are concerned. I think we proved last year what we could do while depleted talent-wise. This year we will prove what we can do with a loaded roster. I actually like being overlooked and underrated, makes our victories even sweeter.

I’d have to slightly disagree. They did get three prime time games. They ain’t getting the Detroit treatment.

The analysts definitely seem “baffled” by the Saints offseason moves which shows me that they haven’t been watching or paying even the slightest bit of attention to the team.

The comments like “why are the Saints approaching the offseason like they are a couple of pieces away from contending!?!”

Why? Because they are and they’d know that if they’d spent 5 minutes looking at the roster and the 9 wins from last season.

Precisely why I won't listen to the so-called national "experts"....every time one opens their mouth about the Saints it is obvious they haven't done any real research on the team's context and situation, it's egregariously lazy uninformed opinions done mostly by paid actors...to generate clicks....

Loomis is doing all these moves still with Taysom Hills $21 mill corrupt contract

We need to wait till TH is out of town and our books should be straight
We've managed pretty well regardless. And Hill isn't that much of an issue. It's not ideal, but it's not a back breaker either. ML has gotten the most out of the cap and I also think the most talent we possibly can get in the situation we're in. Few teams have had the level of success we've had over the last 15 years, so having solid teams year in and year out is worth the associated risks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom