Michael Thomas 6th best WR accroding to PFF (1 Viewer)

A Dez Bryant style talent without all the baggage? Yes, please. He will be a star for years to come. I threw a pillow when the Saints drafted him because I wanted defense with that pick. Guess he showed me. And I couldn't be happier. I bought his jersey and I can't wait to wear that thing for a decade while he makes hay for this team.

I agree,

He runs with so much power that he begins to pull away. The only people that have caught him are guys that had a good angle on him but typically if he broke a tackle you'd see him pull away from the initial guy within a couple of steps.

He won't be caught from behind many times..thats for sure and rarely is he caught by the same defender he makes miss.

He sure looks slow, so I guess it's his exceptionally long stride that fools the eye.

Man, that's some great company Thomas is in. I guess that makes him elite by any definition.

He sure looks slow, so I guess it's his exceptionally long stride that fools the eye.

Man, that's some great company Thomas is in. I guess that makes him elite by any definition.

Agreed. It's weird watching him get open. He looks like he's running through mud sometimes, but then gets solid separation and I've caught myself going, "How did he get that open?" ... whether it's the power in his break or his long stride, it works. It just seems to defy the laws of physics.

Agreed. It's weird watching him get open. He looks like he's running through mud sometimes, but then gets solid separation and I've caught myself going, "How did he get that open?" ... whether it's the power in his break or his long stride, it works. It just seems to defy the laws of physics.

I don't remember which game it was but I swear I saw Michael throw the CB down and catch the ball :covri:.

Beast.

Michael Thomas finished as the 6th best WR according to PFF. What a steal in the second round and good call by Nick Underhill.

mike_thomas.png

I'm pretty sure I called it long before Underhill, but whatev

Apparently, #13 is a lucky number now....4 of the top 7 wear it

Hi y'all;

I was more wondering about Thomas vs. the other WR's ahead of him(not our group).
I still stand on the fact that Cooks provided a better chance for Thomas, than anybody Cooks had in his rookie year. Also the way the O spreads the ball around makes it that much harder to get the catch/yardage #'s.
The WR group looks like a big time unit for the foreseeable future! Worrying about our UFA 4th WR is a good problem to have.

A

I still stand on the fact that Cooks provided a better chance for Thomas, than anybody Cooks had in his rookie year.

I mean, Cooks played with Graham his rookie year. I guess you can argue we forced the ball to Graham too much, but it's hard to argue he didn't dictate coverages. The problem with Cooks his rookie year was the insistence on using him on bubble screens and the like, which he just isn't good at.

I only get to watch about half the games if I'm lucky, and I'm no football guru- so can someone more knowledgable explain one thing to me? Why is it that his YPC is so low - especially considering the tackles he breaks, 12.4 yards per reception seems a bit on the low side. This is not a criticism, I think MT is a beast and was an exceptional draft pick, I'm just curious. Is it just how he's used in the offense and how he is targeted?

I only get to watch about half the games if I'm lucky, and I'm no football guru- so can someone more knowledgable explain one thing to me? Why is it that his YPC is so low - especially considering the tackles he breaks, 12.4 yards per reception seems a bit on the low side. This is not a criticism, I think MT is a beast and was an exceptional draft pick, I'm just curious. Is it just how he's used in the offense and how he is targeted?

Without going back and breaking down his targets/catches, my guess would be he mostly caught curls and slants. Cooks and TE in the seam are usually SP deep play staples.

If you really want to look at a stat that takes breaking tackles into account, then look at YAC (yards after catch). Thomas ranked 9th there including RB's and TE's.

So judging from the YPC and YAC my guess would be that he mostly caught passes around 7.2 yards from scrimmage then was able to break a tackle and get 5.2 more yards (12.4 YPC).

Rank<table class="table table-striped table-bordered table-hover tablesaw-swipe" id="759e38b256f64a6fb87dba9488ddd5d0"><thead><tr><th style="text-align: ''" class="header">
</th><th style="text-align: ''" class="header">Player</th><th style="text-align: ''" class="header">Team</th><th style="text-align: ''" class="header">piece of work</th><th style="text-align: ''" class="header">Rec</th><th style="text-align: ''" class="header">Rec Yards</th><th style="text-align: ''" class="header">YAC</th><th style="text-align: ''" class="header">YAC per Reception</th> </tr> </thead><tbody> <tr> <td style="text-align: center">1</td><td style="text-align: left">Le'Veon Bell</td><td style="text-align: center">PIT</td><td style="text-align: center">RB</td><td style="text-align: center">75</td><td style="text-align: center">616</td><td style="text-align: center">685</td><td style="text-align: center">9.1</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">2</td><td style="text-align: left">David Johnson</td><td style="text-align: center">ARI</td><td style="text-align: center">RB</td><td style="text-align: center">80</td><td style="text-align: center">879</td><td style="text-align: center">659</td><td style="text-align: center">8.2</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">3</td><td style="text-align: left">Travis Kelce</td><td style="text-align: center">KC</td><td style="text-align: center">TE</td><td style="text-align: center">85</td><td style="text-align: center">1,125</td><td style="text-align: center">653</td><td style="text-align: center">7.7</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">4</td><td style="text-align: left">Golden Tate</td><td style="text-align: center">DET</td><td style="text-align: center">WR</td><td style="text-align: center">91</td><td style="text-align: center">1,077</td><td style="text-align: center">635</td><td style="text-align: center">7.0</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">5</td><td style="text-align: left">Jarvis Landry</td><td style="text-align: center">MIA</td><td style="text-align: center">WR</td><td style="text-align: center">94</td><td style="text-align: center">1,136</td><td style="text-align: center">634</td><td style="text-align: center">6.7</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">6</td><td style="text-align: left">James White</td><td style="text-align: center">NE</td><td style="text-align: center">RB</td><td style="text-align: center">60</td><td style="text-align: center">551</td><td style="text-align: center">540</td><td style="text-align: center">9.0</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">7</td><td style="text-align: left">Odell Beckham Jr.</td><td style="text-align: center">NYG</td><td style="text-align: center">WR</td><td style="text-align: center">101</td><td style="text-align: center">1,367</td><td style="text-align: center">518</td><td style="text-align: center">5.1</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">8</td><td style="text-align: left">Julian Edelman</td><td style="text-align: center">NE</td><td style="text-align: center">WR</td><td style="text-align: center">98</td><td style="text-align: center">1,106</td><td style="text-align: center">505</td><td style="text-align: center">5.2</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">9</td><td style="text-align: left">Michael Thomas</td><td style="text-align: center">NO</td><td style="text-align: center">WR</td><td style="text-align: center">92</td><td style="text-align: center">1,137</td><td style="text-align: center">474</td><td style="text-align: center">5.2</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">10</td><td style="text-align: left">Tyrell Williams</td><td style="text-align: center">SD</td><td style="text-align: center">WR</td><td style="text-align: center">69</td><td style="text-align: center">1,059</td><td style="text-align: center">468</td><td style="text-align: center">6.8</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">11</td><td style="text-align: left">Amari Cooper</td><td style="text-align: center">OAK</td><td style="text-align: center">WR</td><td style="text-align: center">83</td><td style="text-align: center">1,153</td><td style="text-align: center">466</td><td style="text-align: center">5.6</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">12</td><td style="text-align: left">Doug Baldwin</td><td style="text-align: center">SEA</td><td style="text-align: center">WR</td><td style="text-align: center">94</td><td style="text-align: center">1,128</td><td style="text-align: center">465</td><td style="text-align: center">4.9</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">13</td><td style="text-align: left">Devonta Freeman</td><td style="text-align: center">ATL</td><td style="text-align: center">RB</td><td style="text-align: center">54</td><td style="text-align: center">462</td><td style="text-align: center">437</td><td style="text-align: center">8.1</td> </tr><tr> <td style="text-align: center">14</td><td style="text-align: left">Melvin Gordon</td><td style="text-align: center">SD</td><td style="text-align: center">RB</td><td style="text-align: center">41</td><td style="text-align: center">419</td><td style="text-align: center">432</td><td style="text-align: center">10.5</td></tr></tbody></table>

im impressed with how shifty he is for his size. and he's so dedicated to YAC. sometimes he looks kinda goofy juking after the catch cuz of his build and height but he gets it done. love it.

So, everyone who has asked what Drew Brees could do with a "True #1 WR" will not only get to see what Drew can do with MT, what what he can do with MT plus a "True deep threat," a "True 3rd down WR," a "Running game that is committed," and hopefully a "True 3rd down back."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Saints have a top 2 offense again next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom