Michael Thomas Factoid: (1 Viewer)

Thomas was a great pick up for the Saints. He is also lucky to be drafted by the Saints. His numbers would be half that or less with most teams. Over the years Brees and Payton have been among the best combos a receiver good have.

We do have an exciting receiving group now, but its hard to know how much value Brees adds with his ability throw open receivers with laser like accuracy.

Lance Moore caught a bunch of passes with Brees, he might not have made the roster on other teams. What has Jimmy Graham done since he left the Saints? Would Willie Snead have made any other rosters, he has 37 catches only halfway through the season.

Marcus Colston has hall of fame numbers. Meachem had his career resurrected with Brees.

None of this is to knock the accomplishments of Michael Thomas. He is a very complete receiver with a great blend of strength, speed, athleticism and football intuition.

I somewhat disagree. We know Brees is amazing but the Saints have had a laundry list of WRs and TEs that did not do what Colston, Graham, and Moore accomplished as Saints. Brees is Great, but those guys were good to great as well.

Corrections/clarifications -

Michael Thomas is indeed under contract through 2019.

Brandin Cooks is under contract through 2017 and the club holds a 5th year option for 2018, an option they are assuredly going to use.

Snead is indeed a free agent after this season, however he will be an exclusive rights free agent, so he won't be going anywhere.

We are sitting golden right now. We get a ton of cap space next season and with most of the offense locked up, we can spend most of it on defense.

There is an almost laughable amount of riches at so many key/skill positions on this team that a massive amount of resources can be spent fixing the few, but glaring, holes that there are.

Unquestionable deep playoff runs over the next two years!

Corrections/clarifications -

Michael Thomas is indeed under contract through 2019.

Brandin Cooks is under contract through 2017 and the club holds a 5th year option for 2018, an option they are assuredly going to use.

Snead is indeed a free agent after this season, however he will be an exclusive rights free agent, so he won't be going anywhere.

We are sitting golden right now. We get a ton of cap space next season and with most of the offense locked up, we can spend most of it on defense.

Awesome - thanks!

I somewhat disagree. We know Brees is amazing but the Saints have had a laundry list of WRs and TEs that did not do what Colston, Graham, and Moore accomplished as Saints. Brees is Great, but those guys were good to great as well.

The players I mentioned are all very good. Their production would have been much less with 90% of the other NFL qbs. The best evidence of that is how the ones that left did after they left. Now Moore was a bit older when he left and Graham got hurt, but they would have better numbers if they stayed.

And I think Moore and Snead are two you may never have heard of but for Brees. It was probably a bad thread for me to bring it up in. Thomas would be a fine receiver anywhere and I don't want to diminish his accomplishments.

LOL, listen to this guy backtrack. He nicknamed Michael Thimas the bad Michael Thomas and the Rams Michael Thomas the good one before the season. Ohhh does he have egg on his face.

https://youtu.be/8y42jVAwIoE

Just to nitpick: a "factoid" actually means something that is not true. Very commonly misused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Factoid: B-Train is not always correct.

Full Definition of factoid
: an invented fact believed to be true because it appears in print
: a briefly stated and usually trivial fact

We can thank Norman Mailer for the word factoid; he coined the term in his 1973 book Marilyn, about Marilyn Monroe. In the book, Mailer explains that factoids are "facts which have no existence before appearing in a magazine or newspaper, creations which are not so much lies as a product to manipulate emotion in the Silent Majority." In creating his coinage, Mailer relied on "-oid," a suffix that traces back to the ancient Greek word eidos, meaning "appearance" or "form." Mailer followed in a long tradition when he chose "-oid"; English speakers have been making words from "-oid" since at least the late 16th century.

Factoid | Definition of Factoid by Merriam-Webster

Just to nitpick: a "factoid" actually means something that is not true. Very commonly misused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least he didn't call it a "nugget." Factoids, I'm ok with, but I never read nugget threads.

Not to spoil this whatsoever but Odell only played 12 games his rookie year which makes his rookie year even more amazing.

Thomas was a great pick up for the Saints. He is also lucky to be drafted by the Saints. His numbers would be half that or less with most teams. Over the years Brees and Payton have been among the best combos a receiver good have.

We do have an exciting receiving group now, but its hard to know how much value Brees adds with his ability throw open receivers with laser like accuracy.

Lance Moore caught a bunch of passes with Brees, he might not have made the roster on other teams. What has Jimmy Graham done since he left the Saints? Would Willie Snead have made any other rosters, he has 37 catches only halfway through the season.

Marcus Colston has hall of fame numbers. Meachem had his career resurrected with Brees.

None of this is to knock the accomplishments of Michael Thomas. He is a very complete receiver with a great blend of strength, speed, athleticism and football intuition.

These are the points I immediately thought about when reading the OP. It's clear that Drew Brees has had a big share in making good receivers look great. Also being in the Payton-style of offense doesn't hurt any good receiver from helping to get his career stats padded. If I were a promising wide out, I'd do everything in my power to try and hook on with a team that has a Drew Brees type QB under center.

And there aren't many like the one we have. :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom