Michael Thomas Factoid: (1 Viewer)

Thomas is arguably the best rookie receiver and if not for Ezikiel Elliot and Dak Prescott, i dare say he would have been the front runner for the offensive rookie of the year award ...

It's the best WR corps Drew has ever had and the oldest is 24! I also get the feeling we're only getting started.

The bad part is that they will have to get paid.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thomas is under contract through the end of 2019, so you don't have to think about addressing him until the end of 2018.

Snead is a FA after this year but I don't think he will be hard to keep. He's a quality player but probably seen by the league as a system guy. He's reliable and has nice production but it doesn't jump out at you if you're a GM trying to add a key WR. We'll have to gauge his value but I think it's easily doable.

Cooks is a FA after 2017, so we should address it this offseason. He's a talent and we'll have to pay him. But I don't think he commands AJG/DT/Julio money. We'll get it done.

Just to nitpick: a "factoid" actually means something that is not true. Very commonly misused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas was a great pick up for the Saints. He is also lucky to be drafted by the Saints. His numbers would be half that or less with most teams. Over the years Brees and Payton have been among the best combos a receiver good have.

We do have an exciting receiving group now, but its hard to know how much value Brees adds with his ability throw open receivers with laser like accuracy.

Lance Moore caught a bunch of passes with Brees, he might not have made the roster on other teams. What has Jimmy Graham done since he left the Saints? Would Willie Snead have made any other rosters, he has 37 catches only halfway through the season.

Marcus Colston has hall of fame numbers. Meachem had his career resurrected with Brees.

None of this is to knock the accomplishments of Michael Thomas. He is a very complete receiver with a great blend of strength, speed, athleticism and football intuition.

Odell Beckham is tearing it up. I just read he is the first player since 1967 with 30 receiving touchdowns in his first 35 games. He also has more receiving yards through his first 35 games than anyone since 1965 has had in their first 40 games.

If MT can even be 2/3rds as good, that would be awesome :9:

Just to nitpick: a "factoid" actually means something that is not true. Very commonly misused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Factoid has two possible meanings, one of which goes very well with the original post: A brief, somewhat interesting fact

fac·toid
(făk′toid)
n.
1. A piece of unverified or inaccurate information that is presented in the press as factual, often as part of a publicity effort, and that is then accepted as true because of frequent repetition.

2. A brief, somewhat interesting fact

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/factoid

Marcus Colston has hall of fame numbers.
Awesome numbers but not quite Hall of Fame Numbers. For some reason the HoF standard for receivers is a very high bar.

Excluding Randy Moss, TonyG, and other active players (not yet eligible for the HoF) there are...

18 eligible players with more career yards not in the HoF
13 eligible players with more receptions not in the HoF
12 eligible players with more TDs not in the HoF

I wouldnt bank on Marcus getting into the Hall of Fame on a non-senior slot.

Thomas is under contract through the end of 2019, so you don't have to think about addressing him until the end of 2018.

Snead is a FA after this year but I don't think he will be hard to keep. He's a quality player but probably seen by the league as a system guy. He's reliable and has nice production but it doesn't jump out at you if you're a GM trying to add a key WR. We'll have to gauge his value but I think it's easily doable.

Cooks is a FA after 2017, so we should address it this offseason. He's a talent and we'll have to pay him. But I don't think he commands AJG/DT/Julio money. We'll get it done.

Corrections/clarifications -

Michael Thomas is indeed under contract through 2019.

Brandin Cooks is under contract through 2017 and the club holds a 5th year option for 2018, an option they are assuredly going to use.

Snead is indeed a free agent after this season, however he will be an exclusive rights free agent, so he won't be going anywhere.

We are sitting golden right now. We get a ton of cap space next season and with most of the offense locked up, we can spend most of it on defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom