Saints Michael Thomas makes his best sales pitch for Teddy Bridgewater (1 Viewer)

Thunderchild

Flock Up!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
MT makes some very good points. Hopefully Bridgewater will think along those same lines and be willing to wait for his big payday in exchange for being with a great team ready-made for a QB like him to take over.

MT on wanting Teddy to stay here:
Nobody wants to go somewhere and lose or go to a culture and play quarterback and have to fix the culture all at the same time,” Thomas continued. “It’s too much. We’re trying to do the right things to keep him here, and keep this whole locker room as much intact as possible.” That stability is important for the future of the team as much as the present. With the exception of retired tight end Ben Watson, nose tackle Tyeler Davison is the only starter from last season who should not expect to return in 2019.

“When I look at Teddy and talk to Teddy, he’s a guy that wants to win,” Thomas gushed. “He has that winner mentality. He has that passion. But of course he wants to be a starter. He’s a guy that wants to win first, and that’s why he fits in here with us.” Thomas’s tone turned towards something of a sales pitch: “You can compare all the other jobs where things aren’t right or you can stay here. Stay here and stay as long as you can because you’ll have a supporting cast.”
https://saintswire.usatoday.com/201...-michael-thomas-teddy-bridgewater-drew-brees/

Good stuff.

Side note: I don't really enjoy seeing the NFCCG score when I click on that page.

Wait, why would we expect Tyler Davison to not return? He definitely has a role on this team and is not going to cost much to re-sign. With Rankins hurt and Onyemata probably suspended, they're not going let him just walk. I think Ingram is more likely to leave and I'm pretty sure that Ingram returns.

Wait, why would we expect Tyler Davison to not return? He definitely has a role on this team and is not going to cost much to re-sign. With Rankins hurt and Onyemata probably suspended, they're not going let him just walk. I think Ingram is more likely to leave and I'm pretty sure that Ingram returns.
My thoughts exactly. We need to re-sign all of our D-Linemen. We can't afford to let Davison walk, and we also need to re-sign Bromley. I'm hoping Teddy B. re-signs with us.

Why will Davison not be back? I thought he played well or at least not badly. And we don't have draft picks to replace him.

I wish we as fans had more to see on Teddy with the starters. After the Carolina game I’m not as excited about him, which could be due to vanilla offense. But this endorsement from CGM is a plus. Teddy does fit in perfectly in the locker room. And that can go a long way for him and the team.

Many of us got to see Teddy's first ever regular season snap in the NFL first hand. It was in the Dome back on Sept. 21, 2014 when Matt Cassel went down with a season ending injury. We beat the Vikings 20-9 that day, but the following week, Teddy and Co. beat the mess out of the Falcons 41-28.

I have no issue with Bridgewater. He has a short but fairly sweet resume. He made the probowl as a 2nd year QB, that's impressive. If the coaches and team feels he can be our next QB, then I can get behind that. One game does not tell the tale, and everything about week 17 vs the Panthers was ugly, not just the QB play. As was said in an earlier post, I'm not sold on him yet. I'm going to need to see him have success running SP's offense before I can get behind him wholeheartedly.

But having Mike Thomas come out and say these things... You can tell he believes in Teddy. And who has more riding on the Saints next QB than CGM? NOBODY! So that is a huge endorsement to me.

On a side note, with all the speculation that's been going around for years as to how long Drew is going to play before retiring... I've always believed that the coaches and other players "know". I would think that Drew would be straight up with them, and our coaches and players would keep it quiet, so that Drew can handle it with the media and fans on his own terms.

If that's the case, then what Mike is saying here could actually be a clue. I don't think he says this if Drew has 2 or 3 years left, or if it's still undecided. There's a good chance that Teddy would stick around one more year to be handed such a great situation. I doubt he would stay if he was going to have to wait longer than that.

From personal experience, I can tell you that a good work environment is wonderful. I had great colleagues (for the most part :mwink: ) for 28 years, and it made coming to work actually pleasant and even fun.

These Saints support each other to an extraordinary degree. That makes them want to come to work and excel.

People in poor work environments are under a lot of stress. They have my sympathy because I certainly have experienced that as well. It seems that the Saints have the right culture. CGM clearly reflects that culture in his statements. To me that transcends the looming question about Teddy Bridgewater.

Every time someone brings the pro-bowl I cringe. 14 TDs 9 INTs 3231 yds got Bridgewater in the pro-bowl.

Still impressive even being a mediocre game manager as a 2nd year player. That was about as good a start as you could ask for from a QB that young up until Mahommes sort of won League MVP as a 2nd year player / 1st year starter.

Still impressive even being a mediocre game manager as a 2nd year player. That was about as good a start as you could ask for from a QB that young up until Mahommes sort of won League MVP as a 2nd year player / 1st year starter.

It is not impressive when you consider how he got there to begin with, and the other QBs who didn't make it.

The QBs from the NFC that were voted in were Wilson, Rodgers, Palmer, and Newton. Rodgers, Palmer, and Newton didn't go. Bridgewater replaced Palmer.

A few QBs who didn't make it...
Drew: 32/11 4870
Stafford: 32/13 4262
Cousins: 29/11 4166

Others who made it as alternates:
Manning: 35/14 4432
Winston: 22/15 4042

If you go by QB rating, Bridgewater was the 12th rated starting QB out of 16 in the NFC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom