Michael Thomas or Jarvis Landry (1 Viewer)

Snead is no where near as physical as Landry. Thomas is pretty close. And that's a two way street. Teams know Landry is the number one and will get force fed the ball and yet he still delivers. Snead is a clear number three option with teams more worried about Cooks and Thomas.

What does "physical" mean to you? Ability to break a tackle? Catch in traffic? Put your head down and plow through a safety? Because Snead excels at those things.

Thomas is on another level than Landry in every way. I'm not even bothering with that comparison. The analytical stats picked it up this year and you'll see that in the top line stats next year.

But Snead did excel last year when he was the #2 and much more keyed on as well, including games Cooks barely played. So it's not fair to relegate him to simply a #3 in skill level. He's proven more.

I wouldn't say that "it's not even close", and I would also say that since we went WR already in the 1st, Kony Ealy would have been the right pick instead of SJB.

That draft was viewed as the deepest draft at wr in the last decade or so. I wanted Verret in the first and that should have been the pick. Any number of good wideouts were available in the 2nd and third. We supposedly take bpa available every year. That woulda been a wr instead of a need reach project in sjb. Doesn't matter if we drafted Cooks. We still needed a replacement for Colston.

I'm sure most on here would prefer a pro bowl CB and any of moncrief, Robinson, or Landry instead of cooks and sjb....

That draft was viewed as the deepest draft at wr in the last decade or so. I wanted Verret in the first and that should have been the pick. Any number of good wideouts were available in the 2nd and third. We supposedly take bpa available every year. That woulda been a wr instead of a need reach project in sjb. Doesn't matter if we drafted Cooks. We still needed a replacement for Colston.

I'm sure most on here would prefer a pro bowl CB and any of moncrief, Robinson, or Landry instead of cooks and sjb....

Landry would not of been a replacement for Colston.

5'11" WRs who catch 80% of their passes within 10 yards of the LOS are not replacements for a guy who excelled down the seam and in the intermediate game. Heck, 24 of Landry's catches came behind the LOS this year. He gets a lot of WR screens and flares. Things Colston couldn't do.

And I do think Landry is better than Snead so don't think I'm trying to say otherwise. Much quicker first step and he's shiftier.

Michael Thomas is on another level than all these guys. You'll see that this next season. There's maybe 3 WRs in the league I'd trade for him and one of them is Julio Jones.

What does "physical" mean to you? Ability to break a tackle? Catch in traffic? Put your head down and plow through a safety? Because Snead excels at those things.

Thomas is on another level than Landry in every way. I'm not even bothering with that comparison. The analytical stats picked it up this year and you'll see that in the top line stats next year.

But Snead did excel last year when he was the #2 and much more keyed on as well, including games Cooks barely played. So it's not fair to relegate him to simply a #3 in skill level. He's proven more.

I agree Thomas is better or will be a lot better than Landry. But the gap is closer between Thomas and Landry than Landry and Snead if that makes sense. And yes a physical wr has all the traits you just stated. And I can tell by the eyeball test. Landry was #6 in the entire NFL in yac. The #2 wr overall in that category. Thomas was #9 and Snead was #30. That stat doesn't nessasarily indicate how physical a wr is but it's a good starting point for a measurement. Golden Tate was the #1 wr in that category and he is a pretty physical wr also.

I agree Thomas is better or will be a lot better than Landry. But the gap is closer between Thomas and Landry than Landry and Snead if that makes sense. And yes a physical wr has all the traits you just stated. And I can tell by the eyeball test. Landry was #6 in the entire NFL in yac. The #2 wr overall in that category. Thomas was #9 and Snead was #30. That stat doesn't nessasarily indicate how physical a wr is but it's a good starting point for a measurement. Golden Tate was the #1 wr in that category and he is a pretty physical wr also.

I'm about to head out, so I can't respond to everything, but his YAC is in some part because he caught 24 passes behind the LOS. They call a ton of plays specifically for him.

But to your point, Snead doesn't have the first step to do those plays.

Not everything is always as it appears.

Something tells me that had we had a different scouting department Verret or another defensive player would have been the pick. I think the fact that we traded up for Cooks showed that he was rated higher than almost everyone remaining, but with a more formidable scouting department he wouldn't have been that highly rated, or even been the best guy on our board.

I am happy that we have the scouting department in place now, and I think that we will get a more balanced draft from here on.

They are two totally different players. Both players are great fits for SP's offense but I think Thomas has more upside. I mean the guy came in as a rookie and put up #1 WR numbers in an offense that spreads the ball around. 92 receptions for 1,137 yards and 9 TDs would be enough to get a player into the Pro Bowl some years.

It's hard to wrap my head around just how far they hit it out of the park with that pick. We could be looking at the best WR corp in football.

Landry would not of been a replacement for Colston.

5'11" WRs who catch 80% of their passes within 10 yards of the LOS are not replacements for a guy who excelled down the seam and in the intermediate game. Heck, 24 of Landry's catches came behind the LOS this year. He gets a lot of WR screens and flares. Things Colston couldn't do.

And I do think Landry is better than Snead so don't think I'm trying to say otherwise. Much quicker first step and he's shiftier.

Michael Thomas is on another level than all these guys. You'll see that this next season. There's maybe 3 WRs in the league I'd trade for him and one of them is Julio Jones.

I disagree, I think Landry could have been a replacement for Colston. 24 catches may have been behind the LOS but what about the other 70. They run a lot of screens because he is elite at breaking tackles and YAC something Colston was ok at but not great. Most of Landrys other catches are intermediate crossing routes slants and hooks. Most of the same stuff Colston ran.

Color me crazy, but I preferred (and still do) Landry over OBJ - I like the DEPENDABILITY FACTOR esp on Must Have Downs!

I wouldn't.

A lot of what makes Landry appear so dependable is the type of offense that he's in and how he's used.

Don't underestimate the special talent that someone like OBJ has.

I don't know, but I think we have to Pump the Brakes a tad on Thomas since this was only his first year - will opposing teams now play him differently from here on out?

Will he experience the Sophomore Slump?

[That's not to criticize his play this season which was OUTSTANDING for any receiver much less a Rookie!]

if only Landry and Beckham had a good QB like Thomas does

If we're going to play "re-draft" I'd draft Jason Verrett in the first and Allen Robinson in the 2nd.

Landry has a few more yards than Robinson for his career, but Robinson missed 6 games his rookie year and still has 9 more career TD's than Landry, is 4" taller, and all this while splitting targets with Allen Hurns and having Blake Bortles throwing him the ball.

Robinson just gets lost because he's on a terrible team and, well.....Landry went to LSU.

if only Landry and Beckham had a good QB like Thomas does

Tannehill is a decent QB and they maximize Landry's touches.

Beckham, even with a better QB probably doesn't see a major production increase. Eli gets the ball to him plenty. Dude caught 101 balls this year. QBs that spread the ball around would probably hurt their production or at least not help it.

Landry would be huge in Payton's offense. But no way we could have picked Cooks and Landry.

When all is said and done, I think Thomas will be the better player. And that is coming from the guy who thought Jarvis Landry would be a better player than OBJ.

At least Landry catches the ball better and is more clutch. I do not know what has happened to OBJ, but he is not nearly the hands he once was. My opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom