Michael Thomas Twitter Exchange with Underhill (1 Viewer)

But to whose benefit? Is he obligated to repay the team when he outperformed his rookie contract?

I’ll side with the player being paid 10/10 times, before in the end, it’s their bodies that go through a half dozen car crashed a game.
He's not necessarily obligated to do anything, but it can be a good gesture to the team to restructure his contract. Other players have done it and there is precedent for it.

That said, I don't know where he is on it. Maybe he's had issues with the front office for other reasons and that's influencing him. But it's hard to just without having all of the facts.

Yep, that's how I feel. All I want is a healthy productive MT and I don't have to think twice about his contract.
Same.
This QB situation (courting Carr) got me to thinking, would having Carr here help sway MT into more restructuring and possibly remaining with the team? Just spitballing as I’m not sure how he feels about Carr.

Same.
This QB situation (courting Carr) got me to thinking, would having Carr here help sway MT into more restructuring and possibly remaining with the team? Just spitballing as I’m not sure how he feels about Carr.
That's a good question. I do think bringing Carr in would signal to the players that the front office is still serious about trying to put a winning product on the field.

Not sure whatether that impacts MT or not tho.

So, Nick has been pretty vocal that Mike Thomas will be a post-June 1st cut. That the best way MT's restructure made sense was if that is the case.

Sounds like Thomas has seen those comments and doesn't agree. Maybe he intends to stay on the team.

Sure, but nobody's really worth $50 million for playing a game.

Silly post.

They’re not “playing a game.” They are in the entertainment industry and there are TV networks, sponsors, and fans paying billions of dollars in total to broadcast them, advertise with them, and watch them.

Should all that money just stay in the owners’ pockets, or should the actual entertainers get their fair share of the pie?

It's a business, Thomas has to look at it from the Saints perspective. If he stays with the team, he's gonna have to work with the team. You can't be paying guys that kinda money who are riding the pine. Thomas is probably breaking down at his age and needs to come to terms with it.

Sure, but nobody's really worth $50 million for playing a game.

Exactly. We pay someone who can throw, catch, pass, shoot, hit, act, perform, entertain us.....$25+ million a year, yet we pay $35 thousand a year to people who teach, protect, save us, rescue us....WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?!?!?! Our culture is so azz backwards.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching my Saints, but the salaries are way out of control. It's still a GAME! Chess, checkers, Tetris, are games. Should we pay the people who play these games millions of dollars also?

Average Salary in the U.S. Average Salary in the U.S. (2022) $53,490 per year According to the latest data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the annual mean wage for a full-time wage or salary worker in the United States is $53,490 per year or $1,028 per week (for a 40-hour work week). Let's bump that up to $100,000 per year for sake of argument. Multiply that times 55 years work expectancy = $5,500,000 earnings life time.

The average length of a player's career in the National Football League (NFL) is relatively short, with the average career lasting around 3.3 years. The league is considered one of the most physically demanding sports leagues in the world, with players regularly exposed to hard hits and collisions. This leads to a high risk of injury, and many players are forced to retire early or miss significant time due to injuries. Taking this into consideration, a player should earn $5.5 million after 4 years. Players who last longer should get paid more accordingly. That should be the standard for all sports. Just my opinion. Oh, and they should get health insurance for life after they have completed 5 years of the NFL as a bonus.

Last edited:
Exactly. We pay someone who can throw, catch, pass, shoot, hit, act, perform, entertain us.....$25+ million a year, yet we pay $35 thousand a year to people who teach, protect, save us, rescue us....WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?!?!?! Our culture is so azz backwards.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching my Saints, but the salaries are way out of control. It's still a GAME! Chess, checkers, Tetris, are games. Should we pay the people who play these games millions of dollars also?
The reality is that all those people making the $35k in your example are tuning in enough and spending enough for that athlete to get $50m.

Do chess checkers and tetris players generate billions of dollars of revenue for just playing?

Last edited:
Sounds like Nick hurt the emotional ones feelings by saying he’d be cut.

The saints at this point are dumb not to cut him based off his recent injury history. That’s just facts.

We all would love him to be healthy and on the field, but right now there seems to be little chance of that happening

Sorry, but I edited it. Please read the additional add on.
Its still wrong

Why do people hate how much athletes make when it's their attention that makes what they do worth so much?

Secondly I have no problem with how much they make...they work their entire lives to get where they are and they're < 1% of those who dedicated their lives to that goal. Not only are they physically gifted, they're also the most mentally gifted at what they do despite what us fat guys on the couch think about them.

Average Salary in the U.S. Average Salary in the U.S. (2022) $53,490 per year According to the latest data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the annual mean wage for a full-time wage or salary worker in the United States is $53,490 per year or $1,028 per week (for a 40-hour work week). Let's bump that up to $100,000 per year for sake of argument. Multiply that times 55 years work expectancy = $5,500,000 earnings life time.

The average length of a player's career in the National Football League (NFL) is relatively short, with the average career lasting around 3.3 years. The league is considered one of the most physically demanding sports leagues in the world, with players regularly exposed to hard hits and collisions. This leads to a high risk of injury, and many players are forced to retire early or miss significant time due to injuries. Taking this into consideration, a player should earn $5.5 million after 4 years. Players who last longer should get paid more accordingly. That should be the standard for all sports. Just my opinion. Oh, and they should get health insurance for life after they have completed 5 years of the NFL as a bonus.
Everyone is worth what the free market will bear. If you don't like it, stop watching and posting. Until then, you're a part of the "problem."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom