Michael Thomas (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
did he have ankle surgery? just wondering how he is coming along,

I love that we can lean so heavy on MT and I hope we don't have to lean so heavy on MT this season...that will mean others have stepped up and contributed. I want to see balanced attack in the passing game again and a cast of names different each week of who contributed the most to the win! MT gonna MT, though and nothing wrong with that.

The most amazing thing about MT is that his catch percentage when he is covered, at least prior to last year, is better than most other top receivers that are open. o_O That's just crazy. MT is just a bad man when the ball is coming his way.

The most amazing thing about MT is that his catch percentage when he is covered, at least prior to last year, is better than most other top receivers that are open. o_O That's just crazy. MT is just a bad man when the ball is coming his way.
Some of that was Drew’s accuracy. He could literally put the ball in a 1 foot window.
That being said, Thomas has the strongest hands in the league.

With Jameis' arm strength to hit other speedy receivers (Deonte, Trequan, Callaway) downfield, AK41 out of the backfield, and Trautman dominating seam routes, I don't see how Mike Thomas won't have BEASTLY numbers this season.

:gosaints:
MT's utilization of his body is top tier. He is what I look for in elite TE play with using their body. Davante Adam's use of his body and leverage in space is equal to what MT does in close coverage. They are different skills but both are elite.

With Winston or any QB, arm strength means nothing if you can't "feel" the receiver and have accuracy/decision making problems. A QB has to have anticipation and be on the same page as the WR as to where the only spot to throw that ball to is going to be presented. Knowing the routes and reading the coverage will telegraph those windows. If wrong, you are flirting with disaster and better to just NOT throw the ball and live another day...it isn't a 50/50 "hope for the best" situation. If you are not connecting downfield and marking low percentages over the top, it is the same as having no deep ball game at all and defenses will not respect it. Winston will have to show consistency in the deep ball before teams really focus on that. We have to build the THREAT of deep ball before it is even to be considered a part of the main arsenal...but that isn't CSP's m.o., anyway. I am not saying Winston CAN'T progress to be able to do this, but as we stand today, that is not in his wheelhouse strength in game time.

I like your optimism though, ndcc!!!!
Some of that was Drew’s accuracy. He could literally put the ball in a 1 foot window.
That being said, Thomas has the strongest hands in the league.
Yes and Yes. ...and is more than "SOME" in regard to Drew's placement. MT is always trying to get to a spot and setting his body up to have these windows. He is always looking to extend a route or find a spot to help the QB out. When the QB can "feel" and read this, you are in a balance of throwing a man open (from the QB side) or setting up the window to hit (from the WR side). That is chemistry, awareness and a lot of just common sense, too. Hill did a good job of finding those windows with MT, especially in the first ATL game. It was encouraging to see. MT's ability to just be able to get separation and giving the QB a place to throw is really special. You have to have that instinctively or you don't. It can be nurtured, but has to be there to begin with. MT is like the best of Horn and Colston had a baby and kicked up a bit on top of that. His hands are ridiculous!

With Jameis' arm strength to hit other speedy receivers (Deonte, Trequan, Callaway) downfield, AK41 out of the backfield, and Trautman dominating seam routes, I don't see how Mike Thomas won't have BEASTLY numbers this season.

:gosaints:
Arm strength means nothing if he don't have accuracy and chemistry with the Thomas.

The only thing I've seen from Thomas are his weird selfies he's been posting on IG.

Seriously, there's no expression. Just a stoic look at his phone. I guess he's ok.

To be fair, there are plenty of videos of Winston working with other receivers...
My comment was from the other posters assuming things will open up for Thomas because of Winston arm strength and getting the others involved. Everything can happen but without that chemistry with Thomas, it starts to become a problem. Brees and even Bridgewater had that connection with Thomas. My thought is the opposite of what he is thinking. I am thinking that once there's a true connection between Winston and Thomas, then it will open up for the rest.

My comment was from the other posters assuming things will open up for Thomas because of Winston arm strength and getting the others involved. Everything can happen but without that chemistry with Thomas, it starts to become a problem. Brees and even Bridgewater had that connection with Thomas. My thought is the opposite of what he is thinking. I am thinking that once there's a true connection between Winston and Thomas, then it will open up for the rest.
I feel you. I just think MT is that good, he don't need no stinking chemistry :ROFLMAO:! Seriously though, I think MT really can catch everything, so I'm leaning toward others getting involved and freeing him up. But like you said, anything can happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom