Michael VIck has been conditionally reinstated *MERGED* (1 Viewer)

Fair or not, there's noway Goodell could not punish Vick for some amount of time within the premise of the NFL and keep his credibility. He's been so suspension happy with others who weren't even convicted of a crime that there is noway he could let this pass.

but didn't Goodell suspend him in '07 when the charges were brought up before he even went to trial?

Jus think if the Dolphins sign him to be a wildcat type player....We play them week 7.

Vick statement:

"I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to Commissioner Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League. I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for opportunity I have been given.

"As you can imagine, the last two years have given me time to revaluate my life, mature as an individual and fully understand the terrible mistakes I made in the past and what type of life I must lead moving forward.

"Again, I would like to thank the Commissioner for the chance to return to the game I love and the opportunity to become an example of positive change. I would like to also thank Coach Tony Dungy for all of his support and for serving as a mentor."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

His suspension in 2007 was "indefinite". In terms of pre-incarceration games (and I'll go from the date of sentencing for this discussion), he missed 13 games in 2007. Add five this year, and it's 18 games. That's a pretty solid suspension, given that he was convicted of a federal offense and lied to management, etc.

I think that it's fair, and I look forward to seeing who signs him and what he has now. Makes for a more exciting pre-season, that's for sure.

The NFLPA head said as he understands it, Vick will be able to play in the final two presaeson games.

On NFLN they said that the conditional suspension by Goddell will allow Goddell to decide by week 6 on whether or not Vick will play. They said that this means he could play week 1, if Goddell feels he's got the right attitude and whatnot. Or he could not play all year, if he's still "good" 'ol Mike Vick. But, the decision must be made by week 6, as per the terms of the conditional reinstatement.

Maybe I missed something, but why wouldn't Vick be able to play in the first 2 preseason games?

Maybe I missed something, but why wouldn't Vick be able to play in the first 2 preseason games?

That's just what the new NFLPA guy said, not sure that it's correct. I would think he'd be up to speed on the language in Goodell's decision.

Vick basically lost most everything he had and spent two years in jail. Put me in the group that says the man ought to be allowed to try to salvage what limited time he has left in his football career.

He did the crime and did the time. Let him play now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom