Michigan TE and potential first round pick Jake Butt suffers serious knee injury in bowl (1 Viewer)

You sure can draft / sign a TE, and if it hurts his confidence so he it. The NFL stands for "Not for long". If you aren't living up to expectations than tough luck. But I doubt Fleener is built like that. The Pats had Gronk and Hernandez for a while and that didn't hurt either guys production (it was the double homicide that did that). We could use a solid TE duo.

You saw him as a push 2nd, but countless media outlets had him rated as a potential 1st. Seeing him play this season he was as good as Heath Miller was when the Steelers took him in the first.

Teams that doubt taking him are teams being led by guys who aren't long for this league. Watch him go to a Pats, or to a Seahawks, and watch him waltz in as a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and make a huge impact when he finally hits the field. Kid is a gamer.
How long ago was Heath Miller drafted? Better question may be, how many tight ends have gone into post-season rated by the media as a first rounder only to fall into second or third round? Let's keep in mind that the media outlets play a guessing game until they start to hear from the scouting community later into the draft season. Then we get a ton of stories about certain guys rising or falling when all along they may have already been rated high or low based on actual "football" people grades.

No one on this board roots more for Jake's success than me. But if I am honest in my assessment, he was not going to be a first rounder prior to the injury. He has solid hands and understands route concepts. But if you are a 5/40 guy, you better have some strong in-line blocking traits because you won't have tremendous success being split wide a la Gronk or Graham or Kelce to name a few. Jake is a willing blocker and a fiery competitor. But he's got a ways to go to become an adept blocker. He also slows to contact and personnel guys around the league have taken notice of it. He's still a very good player and there's a lot to like about him. But I think the media to which you allude simply look at numbers and the program and discount the many factors that scouts consider in grading a player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom