Mickey Loomis Discusses Coaching Changes, Free Agency and the NFL Draft (2 Viewers)

Scotlandsaint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
On new Defensive Coordinator Rob Ryan:

“He has an enthusiasm and excitement to him. His personality is a little different then Steve’s (Spagnuolo). Not necessarily better, depending upon the team, but for our team I think it will be good for us. We are moving to a three-man front defense and that’s what he has done in his career. We are looking forward to some of the changes that he is going to implement along with the remaining staff – Joe Vitt, Bill Johnson, Andre Curtis and some of the other guys on defense. I think we are going to have a good group there.”

On the salary cap:

“We are above the cap. I think that has been well documented and we have some work to do but we have known that. We have known where we are going to be and we have planned for it. We have some restructuring to do in some cases and reductions in other cases. There are a lot of different pieces to that puzzle. We have knocked out some of those. We will get a few more done and hopefully it will work out that we are able to keep all of our core players.

more
New Orleans Saints | Mickey Loomis Discusses Coaching Changes, Free Agency and the NFL Draft with FOX-8

I want to point out ----> "We have some work to do but we have known that. We have known where we are going to be and we have planned for it."

Everything is going to be OK.

I want to point out ----> "We have some work to do but we have known that. We have known where we are going to be and we have planned for it."

Everything is going to be OK.
Beat me to it.

It was some good old fashioned info from the man in charge.
I hope it puts some of these crazy threads to rest and we can start reading some level headed posts in the near future.
It's been tough to come to SR the last week or so and see the sky is falling.

If there is an organization that has shown that it plans for the future with every move its the Saints.

People have been harping on Ingram but he wasn't brought in to make an instant impact...nor has he been given a chance. Everyone has roles and SP has a vision for everyone.

The roles get expand/shrink as the players grow. Ingram i expect his role to increase this year.

I know i know that was off topic.

You can also take into account that SP said that he'd been thinking about a switch a 3-4 for some while and we'd even been drafting/signing guys that fit the scheme for a few years now.

They've always been a few steps ahead.

“I think based on what we have seen so far, this is going to be a deep draft. I think we will be able to find contributing players, not just in the first round but the later rounds. Our scouts do a great job of finding players that help us in the third, fourth or fifth round. Even with some undrafted free agents. I think this will be a good year for the latter part of the draft. I know our guys are working hard to uncover some guys that fit what we want to do.”

If I were a betting man it sure doesn't seem like trading back is an option right now. which coincides with another poster stating that we have a history of sitting squat or moving up...but not moving back.

Another year of Bill Johnson...

Will Smith has regressed because of Age

Junior G has steadily progressed
Cam Jordan Progressed
HIcks Progressed
Tom Johnson has progressed
Elis maxed out his ceiling....

I don't see what makes people think Bill Johnson needs to go.

In fact if you think about it the DB coach is the only guy coming in by himself.

We are hirng an assitant DL coach to work with Johnson
Rob Ryan will work with the LB's and or OLB's next to Vitt

So there are your fresh minds. New Eyes @DB coach, New Eyes @ LB with Ryan, and New Eyes on the D-line with the soon to be hired assistant.

The Saints need a home run in this year's draft. We need players who will be playmakers in short order. The offense is strong....the defense is the problem. We have 5 picks, that could be potentially 5 starters, and at least 3-4 of those on the defensive side.

Mickey Loomis has the confidence of most Saints fans. He is quite capable to either bring in new talent evaluators, or make the ones accountable. But this year's draft is particularly important to be a good draft. the ramifications could be very important 2 years from now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom