Mickey, Sean, please... Join the WR hunt (1 Viewer)

Really need to settle down.

If Sean has shown us anything over 14 seasons, he knows how to move the football and score points, and he’s done it year after year without “big names”.

Why would this year be any different?

Let’s see the teams that are signing big name after big name WR.

Browns- worst franchise in sports over the past 20 years.
Raiders- A complete bottom feeder for a decade.
Titans- Bottom 10 team nearly every season.
Bills-(Beasley and Brown)- Another bottom dweller forva decade.
Jets -( Bellamy and Crowder) Another bottom dweller
Bears - Last playoff win, 2010.

There are the teams that are snagging up WR after WR.

Let’s see who isn’t signing guys......

Saints
Pats
Steelers
Chiefs
Rams

Now let’s look at the 10 highest prices FA WR in 2018.

Watkins
Robinson
Lee
Richardson
Gabriel
Wilson
Crabtree
Nelson
Hurns
Amendola

None of the 10 produced to their salary.
Every single one underperformed.

In fact, the highest in “receptions” was Taylor Gabriel, and he was 37th.

So I’d advise to sit back, trust the winning programs know what they are doing, and we will keep on winning, while those teams keep on losing.

I can agree that we don’t need big name overpaid powerhouse receivers, but we do need a veteran reliable receiver or two that are mid to late 20s, instead of over 30 who can be reliable and help Thomas and Ginn. Maybe resign Dez if they think he can heal up properly and then look at Tate or someone else if they don’t break the bank.

I’m guessing that because the Saints did not release Meredith, they still feel he can be what they expected when the signed him last year. As for the rookies from last year. This offense is so complex that it generally takes receivers a few years to get it down pack. Especially rookies that are not use to playing in nfl style offenses.

I’m all for waiting another year with what we have. I do think we need an upgrade on tight end but I have not seen one I would want yet.

Did you feel okay watching the Saints Offense struggle to score in the second half of last season? Did you feel okay knowing the ball would be forced to MT and Kamara on every play?

Do I feel OK knowing that we were the most obvious missed call in NFL history from making the Super Bowl?

Yes, I feel OK with where we are.

And I’m OK despite the WR acquisitions Browns, Raiders, Bills, Titans and Jets.

All whom are in the AFC, and they all have sucked for a decade.

Please tell me 1 WR FA that we have signed under Sean that lit it up in his first season?

I would guess it was Willie Snead about 5 years ago.....and that was OK at best.

FA WR are not where the answers are....as has been proven over and over by so many teams.

The answers are in developing Kirkwood and Tre.

Do I feel OK knowing that we were the most obvious missed call in NFL history from making the Super Bowl?

Yes, I feel OK with where we are.

And I’m OK despite the WR acquisitions Browns, Raiders, Bills, Titans and Jets.

All whom are in the AFC, and they all have sucked for a decade.

We will see how it goes this season.

Oakland got Brown and Tyrell Williams from Chargers. Do Chargers have any WRs we might want? Jordy Nelson anybody?

Just my personal opinion, but I’d rather have any of the WRs I mentioned over any that you mentioned with the exception of MT.

Money doesnt grow on trees brother.

The real irony is you would be the first type of guy calling for a riot if the saints werent able to extend our own guys in the coming years.

Look at the big picture, we will be fine. This years WR class is deep, and some of these guys are better then the names you mentioned. We can get one of them for a lot cheaper. That's what wins you championships

Did you feel okay watching the Saints Offense struggle to score in the second half of last season? Did you feel okay knowing the ball would be forced to MT and Kamara on every play?
Those who are opposing you cannot answer that question.
Most of the the replies here are basically saying "trust the front office". Yet for two years in the row, we have receivers who struggled facing man-coverage and could not get open.

We have to address this problem.
I agree with a few members on here that are saying other teams overpaid, but I'd say we still wait until the 2nd or 3rd wave to sign a WR.

The truth is that if we wait until the draft, there's a very strong chance that we won't get much production out of him this season.

Those who are opposing you cannot answer that question.
Most of the the replies here are basically saying "trust the front office". Yet for two years in the row, we have receivers who struggled facing man-coverage and could not get open.

We have to address this problem.
I agree with a few members on here that are saying other teams overpaid, but I'd say we still wait until the 2nd or 3rd wave to sign a WR.

The truth is that if we wait until the draft, there's a very strong chance that we won't get much production out of him this season.
I think many forget Cam Meredith is on the books for $6.5M this year. He could be released for less than $3M in dead money if they didn't want him. You might as well consider him a free agent addition. He wasn't out there when the offense starting having trouble. He's also cheaper than players like Humphries and Beasley. They let Snead go, who was a proven 900 yard WR in this offense, to go get Meredith. He's the WR we need. We just need him at 100%. He should be good to go at this point.

I think many forget Cam Meredith is on the books for $6.5M this year. He could be released for less than $3M in dead money if they didn't want him. You might as well consider him a free agent addition. He wasn't out there when the offense starting having trouble. He's also cheaper than players like Humphries and Beasley. They let Snead go, who was a proven 900 yard WR in this offense, to go get Meredith. He's the WR we need. We just need him at 100%. He should be good to go at this point.
This is even worse than hoping that we sign an UDFA WR and hoping that he lights things up.
The Saints took a gamble on signing Meredith and it's a possibility that he may never be what we thought we were getting. Now if he turns out to be the player that we hoped for, then maybe these WRs threads will not exist. But don't hold your breath waiting on Meredith.

This is even worse than hoping that we sign an UDFA WR and hoping that he lights things up.
The Saints took a gamble on signing Meredith and it's a possibility that he may never be what we thought we were getting. Now if he turns out to be the player that we hoped for, then maybe these WRs threads will not exist. But don't hold your breath waiting on Meredith.
The coaches have seen Meredith up close and personal for the past year. They aren't just hoping he can be the player they hoped for. At this point, they pretty much know what they have. Unless you are just talking about the possibility of re-injuring his knee. He has to be 100% by now or he wouldn't be on the roster IMO.

It doesn't matter where the talent comes from 1st round, 7th round or UDFA. Talent is talent and you don't know how players will develop in the right system. Also, if you do some research on these UDFAs you'll find out that their path to the NFL usually isn't just a go to a big school, perform, get drafted. Had Kirkwood stayed at Hawaii and continued on with his development there, he may have been drafted instead of being an unknown coming out of a small school.

The Saints all time leading receiver was a 7th round pick. Antonio Brown was a 6th. Chasing Free Agents (there's a reason teams let them go) or high draft picks isn't the answer. Teams are built in the middle to late round and with UDFAs that develop.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom