Micky Loomis (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
With all the talk about who stays and who goes, I haven't seen Loomis mentioned.

He seems to be safe bc of Benson and not saying I would get rid of him, but how much of this teams failures fall on Loomis?

He is the one ultimately responsible for talent and salary cap, right? Both of the have not been managed well the last few years.

Could Benson leave Mickey in some kind of control of Saints/Pelicans(like one that makes ownership type decisions, even help with player negotiations) and bring in a football GM to run the Saints. Then let that GM make all football decisions like coach and players.

I get that the buck has to stop with Loomis, but his approach was one most of us lauded when the team was doing well. "Make it happen, Loomis!"

The team clearly got burned on some deals and maybe he should have been able to see the eventual outcome for what it would be, but most of the moves were met with a lot of popularity among fans. Hindsight and all that, but a lot of fans on this board wanted Jenkins and Harper on the earliest flight out of town and thought Byrd was going to be the ballhawking, gamechanging centerfielder the defense needed.

A lot of fans thought Spiller was a tailored fit for this offense. A lot of fans thought Loomis was doing a masterful job of buying early and below market on a rising star, Junior Galette.

Yikes.

The old scouting department stayed in place too long but that's been addressed and we will see how that pans out in time. A lot of people seem encouraged by Ireland.

Inevitably, these discussions break down to arguing for or against Loomis and Payton. I admit, I really have no idea what is best for the team's future. I like the job that Loomis has done, for the most part, but I also appreciate that he's ultimately responsible for what we see on Sundays and that hasn't been good for three seasons now. I don't think he's been careless or incompetent, however, but believe the team has suffered from some really garbage luck on some tide-changing events - bounty smear, injuries to key players and free agent acquisitions, Galette going Galette - that derailed the fortunes of a franchise on the rise.

Is there another GM in the league that is also the GM of another major sports franchise?

Is there another GM in the league that is also the GM of another major sports franchise?

The Pels and Saints each have a first ballot Hall of Famer on the roster but can't find a supporting cast for either of them and ownership/management seems verrry slow to make changes at the top.

Depressing time for New Orleans sports.

With all the talk about who stays and who goes, I haven't seen Loomis mentioned.

He's been mentioned (and debated) many times. If one checks the historical threads, one will find that it's been debated before. With varying opinions.

As a manager of a business, who hires people to run my business, I do not have the opportunity to watch future employees perform on tape prior to hiring them. Its buyer beware for me. I can interview them but cannot ask prior employers of their work traits or anything of substance due to EEOC laws..I can use my "gut feeling" if they are a good fit or not but I don't really know what kind of employee I'm getting before I put them through the hiring, training, and production process. Having said that, the NFL and all of these teams have extensive resources devoted to screening every single employee ( players and support staff) to find out if they are a good fit... It really drives me crazy to see the same common mistakes year in and year out that continue to get ignored out of blind ignorance or blind allegiance in hopes of improving the product on the field. If I ran my business with minimal gains or even regression, I would be out of a job pretty darn quick.. just saying...

As a manager of a business, who hires people to run my business, I do not have the opportunity to watch future employees perform on tape prior to hiring them. Its buyer beware for me. I don't really know what kind of employee I'm getting before I put them through the hiring, training, and production process. Having said that, the NFL and all of these teams have extensive resources devoted to screening every single employee ( players and support staff) to find out if they are a good fit... It really drives me crazy to see the same common mistakes year in and year out that continue to get ignored out of blind ignorance or blind allegiance in hopes of improving the product on the field. If I ran my business with minimal gains or even regression, I would be out of a job pretty darn quick.. just saying...

So are you calling out Mickey Loomis? Fire him?

Does Loomis even make personnel decisions, or does he just crunch the numbers? As I envision it, the scouts rank available players by position, the staff (Payton?) meet with Loomis to work out the offseason strategy. What kind of a deal would we offer player A, what about if we could get player A and player B, etc.

I'm not saying Loomis is untouchable, but remember, the Saints were coming off an 11-5 season and were supposed to build on that. Being in "cap hell" doesn't look so bad if you're 12-4 or 13-3. What they didn't plan on is being 7-9 with little to no cash to bring in players without a complete rebuild.

There isn't even one. Demps is the GM and VP of the Pelicans.

I had heard he was managing both teams too. So which is it? Is Loomis so busy handling all of Benson's teams, business, inlaw/step/adopted family issues,etc. that he's stretched too thin? Or has he just dropped the ball on the handling of the Saints in recent years by letting Payton make personnel decisions that he clearly stinks at, seeing as we have no depth due to horrible past drafts and FA pickups?

Again I ask....which is it? I'd really like to know. Even my wife knows something ain't right in the organization. She said after Sunday's debacle against the Lions that at least when Rita was here we were winning a Superbowl....and she's met Rita in the past and can't stand her!

Well.. in a word.. yes I am...

Calling him out. I'm not quite ready to see him go, after all he has taken us to the promised land before, so its not like he doesn't know what he is doing. I will be the first to admit that I have absolutely no knowledge of the inner workings of an NFL team. I will say that four years of sub-par performance is not by accident. Something needs to change within that organization. In my business, you either perform or they will find someone that will. Ultimately I have share holders to answer to. (So do the Saints i.e. season ticket holders and casual ticket holders) IMO it comes down to accountability at the top. There doesn't seem to be any.

So are you calling out Mickey Loomis? Fire him?

I will say that four years of sub-par performance is not by accident.

There is, I think, a simple caveat to whatever other views we hold about the Saints; winning in the NFL is very difficult. Most coaches fail. Most front offices come up short.

Obviously there has to be a threshold at which point organizational change occurs. I think a coach and GM who have won a Super Bowl have earned more leeway than their unproven colleagues, but the current regime has to be getting perilously close to that threshold. Will next year be make or break, at least for Payton? My feeling is it will be.

I had heard he was managing both teams too. So which is it? Is Loomis so busy handling all of Benson's teams, business, inlaw/step/adopted family issues,etc. that he's stretched too thin? Or has he just dropped the ball on the handling of the Saints in recent years by letting Payton make personnel decisions that he clearly stinks at, seeing as we have no depth due to horrible past drafts and FA pickups?

Again I ask....which is it? I'd really like to know. Even my wife knows something ain't right in the organization. She said after Sunday's debacle against the Lions that at least when Rita was here we were winning a Superbowl....and she's met Rita in the past and can't stand her!

I know he was brought in to the Pelicans organization right when Benson bought it but was really seeing how things were being run and assessing what he thought should be changed organizationally. He was never part of the GM-type operations with them. He was given some kind of top level executive title, and I think he still holds it, but as far as I know, he isn't involved in basketball operations really at all.

Loomis is the overall GM. He runs the team overall. Khai Harley is in charge of the salary cap management and strategic planning. Terry Fontenot is VP of pro scouting. Jeff Ireland is Asst GM in charge of talent scouting. So really, unless Loomis is doing everyone else's job, he's not even hands on in charge, at this point I'm assuming in more of a closer oversight role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In reality, Loomis signs the contract, Payton tells Loomis who to sign. I think it's just that simple.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom