Microsoft is pulling an Apple Move on Consumers!! (1 Viewer)

MikeyF

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
New CPUs from AMD, Intel now locked out of Windows Update on Windows 7, 8.1

Last month, we covered news that Microsoft had introduced a KB update that would break Windows Update when running on Kaby Lake or Ryzen hardware from AMD. What was less clear is when the company would actually switch that capability on. Now we know — they did it yesterday.
Ars Technica reports that as of now, Microsoft detects Ryzen or Kaby Lake CPUs running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and returns the following message:
Your PC uses a processor that is designed for the latest version of Windows. Because the processor is not supported together with the Windows version that you are currently using, your system will miss important security updates. Please select the “Learn More” link to address the situation.

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...intel-now-locked-windows-update-windows-7-8-1

I just upgraded my desktop to a Ryzen 1600 and found this out the hard way!

I hope there are massive amounts of lawsuits filed against Microsoft for this underhanded ploy to get us to upgrade to Windows 10...

I like Windows 8.1 x64 because I like having control over my system!

I don’t understand the problem. Just don’t take the update and continue on with your day. Windows 7 was releases 9 years ago. It’s time. Upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Windows 8.1 is crap compared to 10. Well, that's my IMO. I hated 8.x and upgraded from 7 to 10 where I could.

I preferred windows 8.1 using Start Menu 8 to make it look and operate more like Windows 7.

It's not crap you just had to tweak it!

My issues with windows 10 are control, privacy and bandwidth...

I’m with Microsoft and Apple on this. Having to maintain multiple code streams for various CPU families gets expensive. Older OSes get less and less support and rely on older practices that can be unsecure. There is a laundry list of reasons why MS shouldn’t have to support a CPU architecture past a certain point. The longer they keep that support, the more they have to spend resources on that support. That is fewer resources they can dedicate to other initiatives. Also, MS wants to get away from their Intel/x86/x64 dependency. They are looking to eventually be exclusively x64 or ARM.

Microsoft is also looking to have much tighter control on their eco system, just like Apple. Hence the creation of Windows 10 S. Forcing devs to go through their App Store lets them insure abusive software isn’t getting onto the platform and reduces points of entry.

As for privacy, I agree that Win10 has issues there but MS is at least giving us more and more control with each release. My biggest beef is that the constant state of change in Win10 is making it harder for admins keep up. It puts more reliance on 3rd party tools like AirWatch UEM or MS InTune. At least they are starting to move away from SCCM.

I preferred windows 8.1 using Start Menu 8 to make it look and operate more like Windows 7.

It's not crap you just had to tweak it!

My issues with windows 10 are control, privacy and bandwidth...

If you have to tweak it, then well, it's... :hihi:

hopefully, you have at least 98 2nd edition.. almost useless today without having USB support.

95 version b introduced usb. i think there was even an update to add it to version a. c was the most stable though.

BTW, I do think I whould mention that I have a bit of a bias here. I work for VMware and specailize in our EUC products. So the push to Windows 10 just means more opportunities to sell Airwatch licenses. That said, Airwatch makes Win10 management stupid simple....

OH, and if you want an easy way to clean all the horse crap off Win10, I suggest you check out our Guest OS optimization tool. Its meant to optimize performance on any Windows OS by letting you easily kill off all the crap you don't want or don't need in virtualization. However there is nothing stopping you from using it on a physical PC.

Did I mention it's free? Keep in mind that it isn't a supported tool so you are using it at your own risk. Of course it's been used millions, perhaps billions, of times..

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vmware-os-optimization-tool

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom