Microsoft looking to bring sports streaming to 360 (1 Viewer)

The Mongoose

Porkers?
Reaction score
http://gizmodo.com/5451239/live-streaming-of-sports-possibly-coming-to-xbox-live

While you never necessarily needed cable, the one gap in internet video service has always been the lack of live sports. According to the NY Times, Microsoft and Disney are looking to change that, bringing ESPN to your Xbox Live.

Xbox Live users can already access dated content via Netflix, but this move towards live streaming would be a major one towards killing off cable once and for all. Especially since it targets a dedicated audience (sports fans) that has significant overlap with Xbox Live's built-in gaming community.

The set-up would be similar to that of ESPN 360, which is already available from some ISPs. It would be based on a per-subscriber fee, and would include live streams of sporting events and possibly also interactive games that incorporate the ESPN brand. We'll update with more details if and when they're available.

cue anita - "I never watch ESPN anyway..."

it's true...i only watch ESPN for actual sporting events...

it's true...i only watch ESPN for actual sporting events...

Me too. I haven't watched SportsCenter or any of their commentary shows in years and my life is much calmer since I stopped. Of course, I don't listen to sports radio or WWL anymore for the same reason. I don't need to listen to dumb people talking about things they know very little about.

What's interesting to me is what happens when you hold NFL Network up next to ESPN.

They so thoroughly dog ESPN that the contrast becomes laughable. There is depth at NFL Network, while ESPN is like those magazines near the checkout line at the supermarket.

Specifically, Rich Eisen's influence over NFL Network causes it to be awesome. I'm interested in the things he is interested in. He jokes when it's time to joke, and he asks the talent for serious opinions when it's time to do that.

He gives Mike Perrara the business (at least a little) when something won't ring true with the fans.

I just like that dude's sensibilities. Plus, he's a huge Midnight Run fan.

NFL Network, while not perfect, skull drags ESPN all around the yard is what I'm saying.

Every college football game on ABC is by ESPN. You can already watch those ABC primetime games on ESPN 360. So you would at least have 2 live college games a week.

espn has a few sportscasters i like, but "analysts" like tim hasselbeck are mentally challenged.

oh, like the ones they already show on the cable i pay way too much for because of ESPN

when i worked at cox, espn was almost solely responsible for price increases year after year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom