Microsoft Tech Support (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
So my daughter gets a call from Microsoft Tech Support, Toll Free 800 number.

Indian sounding dude.

We see that you are having problems with your computer.(She was having a little bit of problems but nothing major)

She thought this was a good thing that they called her but how they got her number she do not know how.

Asked her to type in a few things and next thing you know they were in her computer.

My first thought to her was that Microsoft Tech Support would not be calling her direct and that more than likely her brand new computer, Windows 10, is compromised. Her and her husband have a friend that is somewhat good with computers and he is going to try to help out. She is having a panic attack now.

AP

Edit: What can be done in this situation if anything can be done?

AP

This is a pretty common scam nowadays; it definitely wasn't Microsoft. Tell your daughter to do a full factory reset and stop allowing unknown callers from remoting into her computer.

Ok, me and their friend helped do a factory reset and everything seems fine. Their friend said something about changing their home Wi-Fi Password. What do you think? Is that a good idea too?

AP

I don't think changing the wifi password is necessary, but if it will give her peace of mind go ahead and change it. It's not the wifi password these scammers are after when they pretend to be Microsoft and trick the unsuspecting into giving them access to their computers.

There is a company with a similar name as my company doing these scams on the east coast. We are getting calls daily with complaints that we scammed them. It's getting old.

Yea, I was getting calls from these guys almost daily. We had some very "spirited" conversations

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We've been getting these calls... Wife started getting them on her cell phone...

Frustrated one day, she hands the phone to me... I listen to the guy for a few seconds and then tell him to hold while I get our computer expert...

Hand the phone to my 11 yr old with instructions to "go full troll".

He laffs, then heads to his pc where he starts playing annoying youtube videos while holding the phone near the speakers and yelling "I can't hear you... Please fix this problem quickly!"

I think my record with these guys is keeping them on the phone for 30 minutes while I "rebooted" and "unplugged" and "tried to fix the screen". Of course nothing ever worked. :scratch:

I think my record with these guys is keeping them on the phone for 30 minutes while I "rebooted" and "unplugged" and "tried to fix the screen". Of course nothing ever worked. :scratch:

I understand that Anita is a hacker/IT guru... He's instructed me in the past to reload the speaker drivers.

Did you try that yet?

I've gotten those calls before. I mess with them so much until I can get them to hang up on me. I've told them everything from I don't have a computer to I'm a senior developer for Microsoft and that THEIR computer is having issues and we need to fix it ASAP.

I like to give them incorrect info when I have a bit of time. Giving them the IP just before a flush. Disabling some services so they get stuck and can't complete their "task". It's gets hilarious when you have a room full of engineers who run the caller in circles before they finally call it quits and hang up on us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom