Microwave Popcorn or Bagged Popcorn (1 Viewer)

The Whirley Pop looks interesting.

Currently we are hot air popping sprinkled with Crystal hot sauce as salt wont stick of course. It is ok and I have come to accept it but it could be better.

The bagged corn has gotten pretty good.

Microwave popcorn in the pre-packaged form is full of bad ****, as I understand it. Actually, you can take bulk popcorn kernels and put them in a paper lunch bag with a little bit of oil and salt (the oil isn't necessary but helps the salt stick) and it will pop in a microwave (3:30 power level 8 works well on mine). Use a couple of staples to keep the bag sealed at the top. And that only has three ingredients instead of all that crap in the commercial micro bags - also a lot cheaper.

I do this. 1/4 cup kernels and 2:15 on high. I skip the oil as well.

Skip both and make it fresh like me with the amazing Whirley Pop! Only 3 ingredients needed. Makes a huge tub in about 5 min and I love it for movie night!!!

Also good for roasting coffee at home as well.

The Whirley Pop looks interesting.

Currently we are hot air popping sprinkled with Crystal hot sauce as salt wont stick of course. It is ok and I have come to accept it but it could be better.

I tried to like air popping...really did. It doesn't compare to doing it on the stove though. I put off doing stove top because I thought it would be harder. It's not much worse than using an air or oil popper. Try it. I will also look into the Whirley Pop. Definitely looks interesting.

On another note, what type of oil do you all use when popping popcorn on the stove? So far I've only used coconut oil...and it's fantastic! The popcorn pops perfectly. It's crunchy, light and airy. The salt sticks to the popcorn extremely well afterwards. I'd recommend trying it if you haven't yet.

On another note, what type of oil do you all use when popping popcorn on the stove? So far I've only used coconut oil...and it's fantastic! The popcorn pops perfectly. It's crunchy, light and airy. The salt sticks to the popcorn extremely well afterwards. I'd recommend trying it if you haven't yet.

I've used both olive oil and regular vegetable oil with success. I find the quality of the kernel matters more than the oil (Orville Redenbacher's FTW). Also medium to medium-high heat is sufficient. Don't turn it all the way up.

Will try the coconut oil. That sounds interesting.

I've used both olive oil and regular vegetable oil with success. I find the quality of the kernel matters more than the oil (Orville Redenbacher's FTW). Also medium to medium-high heat is sufficient. Don't turn it all the way up.

Will try the coconut oil. That sounds interesting.

All sound advice. I use medium-high heat. Also use Orville's. When I decided to give it a try, I read that coconut oil worked really well. Since I already had it on hand, I gave it a shot. Haven't tried anything else. May try Olive Oil though.

I prefer microwave, but Smartfood rules.

And all those chemicals just preserve my organ tissue, cutting down on funeral home costs when I eventually kick it.

All sound advice. I use medium-high heat. Also use Orville's. When I decided to give it a try, I read that coconut oil worked really well. Since I already had it on hand, I gave it a shot. Haven't tried anything else. May try Olive Oil though.

Supposedly it's the high smoke point

Is popping the popcorn a mess to clean up afterwards? Bad smell? What about popcorn you get in the tin things during the holidays? Does it stay fresh?

Is popping the popcorn a mess to clean up afterwards? Bad smell? What about popcorn you get in the tin things during the holidays? Does it stay fresh?

Not a mess at all unless you burn it.

I love stove-pop style popcorn and I used to make it a lot. I have to admit though, I go to the bags more often than not these days. The "Good Health" organic brand at Whole Foods is pretty good, even Skinny Pop works for me these days.

These bags usually just have three ingredients: popcorn, oil, and salt.

I still buy Jiffy Pop loved it as a kid and still buy it when i see it.

btw...I have read that you should never store the kernels in the fridge as it reduces the necessary moisture required to pop. I have never tested this out to be sure but it made sense.

What's the quality like on that? It looks interesting. My wife makes unbelievable caramel corn, but only once a year for Christmas. I'm hoping this might encourage her to make it twice a year.

We were gifted a Whirly Pop several years ago for Christmas and its the best popcorn that you can make at home. Its crunchy, cooks consistently, and makes a huge amount in 5 minutes.

I give it two thumbs up for the simplicity, cost, and quality.

:9: :9:

btw...I have read that you should never store the kernels in the fridge as it reduces the necessary moisture required to pop. I have never tested this out to be sure but it made sense.

It has never occurred to me to even consider storing popcorn in the fridge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom