Mid to late round HB's and QB's have good value for us (1 Viewer)

seraph33

always lurking
Reaction score
This is a very deep year for HB and QB's. There's going to be alot of really good guys left in the 3rd and 4th at both positions. We definitely have a need at back-up QB, and I think this would be an excellent year to get a developmental guy through the draft. HB is exceptionally deep. If we had someone like Forte staring us in the face in the 3rd, I wouldn't be mad at all to have us make that pick. Deuce is questionable (it took him an extended period to come back from his last ACL), so it makes sense especially if we don't get Stecker resigned. That said Deuce should get every chance to come back and play this season (even if he's not ready at the start). Now don't get me wrong, we need to retool our defense through FA and early in the draft. Still if we are in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round and we have an offensive player that fell, then we should take them over reaching for defense. Right now I think there's a good shot at some very good HB's and QB's there.

Also I know I'm going to get the homerism thing here, but I would love to see us draft Hester in the 4th or 5th. He'd probably be the most valuable 3rd stinger we've have had in a long time time. He could be our back-up FB to Karney and our 3rd HB at the same time. If Deuce is slow to get back he can be a guy that can pound it in on short yardage. He's a excellent special teams player and very good blocker. His versatility makes him so valuable, plus he has great character.

I don't believe you can be accused of homerism just for recognizing a good football player when you see one.

I dont think we are in "need' of a backup quarterback, I think Martin is a solid backup, Palko is the backup (#2) waiting in the wings...I dont know what happened between last year and now that, all of a sudden Palko isnt a good choice to be a backup? whoever the backup is or eventually will be unless he was starting for one of the other 31 teams last year, I dont see how we are in much better shape if Drew goes down? its not about talent, its about can he grasp and run the offense, and Palko grasped and ran the offense pretty well last year.

All and all I agree that even though we will be thinking defense this offseason, that you cant ignore the offense, and if we are in a positon to get a offensive player that can help this team, and we feel that we have addressed the defense (starters) after round 3, then sure lts use a pick on someone on the offense, but that should be only after we get that CB, LB and DT in those first 3 rounds.

Deuce came back pretty darned fast. We have a very good prospective backup QB on the roster. I thought that RB was a day one priority but Pierre changed that. I think Pierre will be our ace in the hole. It'll be hard to not have Steck and Deuce, but it'll be hard to let Pierre go. We probably won't draft a RB at all unless something ridiculous happens and one slides way too far for us too pass him up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom