Might be unpopular opinion (1 Viewer)

He was a good regular season coach but he was god awful as a playoff coach. His ultra-conservatism caught up with him. To win playoff games you often have to take chances offensively, he never got that concept....and before folks start saying but Carl Smith, Carl Smith hung around so long because Mora embraced his offensive philosophy (for the life of me I can't see how folks don't get that).

He brought the Saints to a level of respectability but never won a playoff game in his career, even at Indy with Peyton Manning (albeit a young Manning)....

It pains me to daydream what would have been had we had a Payton for OC with that D.

Mora would have never hired an offensive coordinator like Payton....

"Unpopular" might not be quite the right word. "Minority" might be a better descriptor.

I don't think Mora was a bad coach, just not a great one, and for reasons noted in several posts on this thread. The offense was pretty poor, and that kept the Saints from advancing to the next level year after year. I think a lot of us saw the lack of attention to defense more recently as the grim counterpart to the offenses of the Mora era.

Ditka was an abomination, to throw in a gratuitous observation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom