Might be unpopular opinion (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Jim Mora was a terrible coach.

He couldnt draft, he lucked into a couple guys every now and then, it was the LB corp that carried that team for years, once that dissolved, Mora couldnt do diddly poo.

He left a mess for the next coach (Ditka).

This is the same team that gave a 1st and 3rd for Steve Walsh in which Jimmy Johnson knew not to draft 1st (Troy Aikman).

Mora went to Indy and never did anything in which they had Peyton Manning.

I think you gotta look at Mora in context of where the Saints were at the time.
The Saints never had a winning record prior and he started the first Saints run. If the Saints weren’t in the same division as the Niners, they may have even won a championship in the 80s.
And I say this now that the Saints have had a legit run post Payton/Brees, there’s no way he would survive 10 seasons without a playoff win.

I think he only got love here because he made us just good enough to not be terrible. Winning cures all and the ones we had, went a long way until he went out. The same can be said for Ditka who was just terrible through and through on name recognition only. I will add Haslett to that list although he did bring us our first playoff win, he never found the footing of success that we’d hope he would and anything that would have been was washed in Katrina. Sean will always be the line of measure from here on out just based on the tremendous success and stability that he’s brought to our franchise.

Hasletts big problem was keeping Venturi, Moras was keeping Carl Smith.

Thing about Mora is, whats the chances we would of done better had we went with someone else?

remember, we already had alot of the teams success in place before Mora got there. That included Ricky Jackson, we even had Jack DelRio and Mel Gray on the team at one point and they left.

Moras entire history is pretty much RB or DE in 1st round of the drafts also.

Jim Finks, wwe, that's the key ingredient in terms of being that highly intelligent, knowledgeable, crafty NFL GM the Saints had never had up until he arrived in 1986 after a disagreement with Bears owner George Halas and his 1-2 year stint with Chicago Cubs. Sure, Bum Phillips and his expert crew of scouts had largely picked most of the Great, legendary players that defined those wonderful, successful Saints teams of the late 80s, early 90s, but even with great individual talent on both sides of the ball, if it's not properly utilized, it's likely to get wasted or some great Saints players never would've reached their full potential.

Also, it was Mora who convinced a skeptical Finks to sign promising, ex-USFL stars Sam Mills, Vaughn Johnson, IIRC Mel Gray, if Mora doesn't convince Finks to go after these guys and sign them as FA's, some of the greatest Saints players never play a down in New Orleans, or possibly anywhere else on other NFL teams. Mora and Mills had had a long, fruitful professional football relationship and had established a strong bond after Mills was a key, defensive captain for Mora's Philadelphia/Baltimore winning teams. Keep in mind, too, wwe, that most USFL experts, even football fans from the time will tell you the Philly/Baltimore Stars were probably THE best, most talented teams throughout the USFL's history.

More brought discipline to a team that sorely lacked it. He was a good coach but as others mentioned... he was just stubborn. Refusing to move on from Carl Smith was his downfall. Funny story...a long time ago I sent him a card to sign along with a letter. In my letter I expressed my concerns that Carl Smith was hurting him and the team (I was a kid.) Not surprising, Mora never responded. A few years after that I sent another card without mentioning Carl Smith. Mora sent the card back signed.

What a bunch of malarky.

Yep. Mora brought respectability to bag heads. The Dome Patrol was the greatest defense of all time and it was of Mora's making. Were we not stuck in the same division as the 9ers who were at the time the greatest sports dynasty in history, we'd have likely won at least 1 superbowl even without much of an offense.

It pains me to daydream what would have been had we had a Payton for OC with that D.

He couldnt draft, he lucked into a couple guys every now and then, it was the LB corp that carried that team for years, once that dissolved, Mora couldnt do diddly poo.

This is the same team that gave a 1st and 3rd for Steve Walsh in which Jimmy Johnson knew not to draft 1st (Troy Aikman).

You're right, it's an unpopular opinion.

You think you know, but you don't know.

He was a good coach, just not good enough to take a team to the next level. The Saints and Colts were absolutely awful before he took them over and turned the clubs around. But he was never that guy that would go for it on 4th down or try an onside kick int he super bowl. He just couldn't break through in the post season. Playing in the same division as the 49ers dynasty didnt help much either.

Can nor agree, sorry. He had issues but did well for the Saints.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom