Mike and Mike ["Elite" QB Discussion] (1 Viewer)

Qb's aren't born elite, and as they develop some have stretches where they play at an elite level. Flacco Schaub Brees pre'09 are examples of that. A qb becomes elite for real when they play at an elite level a lot more than they don't. Which is why eli confuses people. He has elite stretches interrupted by some really non elite performances. Same with Romo.

Brees, like a lot of players on non high profile teams probably earned the elite tag in 09. A year before he got credit.

All that to say, all the mike and mikes and the van pelts recognize Brees as a first ballot hall of famer. So........
His showing up at the end of the sentence only means that he became consistently elite after Manning and Brady did.

Flacco had an elite post season. He should be considered elite if he follows through with some consistency

Another point that came up in the ACTUAL elite discussion.... Brady, Rogers, Eli, all have had only one real coach. Peyton doesn't count because he is his own coach. But Drew has put up big numbers in SD, with SP and last year with two other interim coaches. That says a lot too. He transitions well. Peyton is obviously the ultimate. Going to a SB with Jim Caldwell standing in the best seat in the house. Was he even allowed a headset?

It's not even a topic. I always here them go "There's the first four guys who are on everybody's list, (in whatever order they rank or list them) Brees, Brady, Manning, Rodgers, and then there's-"

What should come next is, everyone else who is NOT elite like those four. Those four. Those are your "elite" QBs. Then there's everyone else. But whatever.

Let 'em debate. Football season is over for a while. So they gotta gab about whatever they can.

this discussion ****** me off because it shows that Americans have adopted slang and cliche over the ENGLISH language.

Top 25% isn't elite!!! Elite means the best of the best. I would be willing to give the Elite title to the top 5% (realize that I am not even talking about QBs...I am talking about anything). 5% of 32 is 1.6...rounded up to 2. Pick your favor two QBs. They are elite. If you have a tough time deciding between a few guys...maybe I am willing to let it slip.

But really? RGIII, Eli, Flacco, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Luck, Rivers, Rodgers... they can't all be elite. Just saying.

this discussion ****** me off because it shows that Americans have adopted slang and cliche over the ENGLISH language.

Top 25% isn't elite!!! Elite means the best of the best. I would be willing to give the Elite title to the top 5% (realize that I am not even talking about QBs...I am talking about anything). 5% of 32 is 1.6...rounded up to 2. Pick your favor two QBs. They are elite. If you have a tough time deciding between a few guys...maybe I am willing to let it slip.

But really? RGIII, Eli, Flacco, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Luck, Rivers, Rodgers... they can't all be elite. Just saying.

Correct. Half of the quarterbacks in the NFL are below average. :ezbill:

I am not sure they know what "Elite" means making the list so long.
Nor do I believe a Superbowl changes much.

Are these Elite QBs?:
Jim Plunket
Joe Theismann
Ben Roethlisberger
Jeff Hoestetler
Mark Rypien
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Jim McMahon
Phil Simms
Doug Williams

Are these not Elite QBs?
Dan Marino
Dan Fouts
Jim Kelly
Warren Moon

And if just getting to the Superbowl is good enough then why not?
Earl Morrall
Craig Morton
Joe Kapp
Billy Kilmer
Vince Ferragamo
Ron Jaworski
David Woodley
Tony Eason
Boomer Esiason
Stan Humphries
Neil O'Donnell - I know a friend who once told me he was elite
Drew Bledsoe
Chris Chandler
Kerry Collins
Rich Gannon
Jake Delhomme
Matt Hasselbeck
Rex Grossman

I think Joe Flaco is elite in the same way Phil Simms and Joe Theisman were.

Elite is like "first ballot hall of famer". A generally useless way to discuss a guy while he's still playing.

Top 25% isn't elite!!! Elite means the best of the best.
While I completely agree, it depends what you consider the field...once you take into account backups, Arena League QBs, CFL QBs, college QBs, and other guys that didnt cut it like JaMarcus Russell, that top 5% gets to be larger.

Personally I think anything beyond a Top 5 isnt saying much.

Change "elite" to "hall-of-famer" and it changes the discussion dramatically. "Hey Joe, Eli, Big Ben, Aaron: are you elite"? answer: "Yes".
"Have you put up the numbers/records/SBwins to be in the Hall of Fame"? Ans: either "NO" or "NOT EVEN CLOSE YET".

Brady, Manning, Brees: first rounders

My point is that neither word matters.

Your point about getting in the HoF is exactly what I mean. It depends on who else is up for the vote.

What does Elite give you? Bragging rights? Who care? If Drew is elite, but never wins another SB would we be happy? Would he be happy? Dan Marino was one of the best QB's to play the game, but does he care that he's considered elite or does it burn him that he never got a ring?

Everyone is different, so some might care about being 'elite'.

To me it's just lazy to call a guy elite or a first ballot hall of famer. It's like they're just saying, there is no need to discuss the player, because they're so great.

EDIT: I see you deleted your post.. looks like I'm arguing with the wall. lol.

EDIT: I see you deleted your post.. looks like I'm arguing with the wall. lol.
I realized your were saying the same thing...my point was moot and wasting space. Sorry I left you hanging there.

Flacco is a good QB. I would not trust him to go out and "win a game", but I would definitely trust him to not "lose a game".

this is my definition of a game manager like Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. I won't say Flacco is elite but I give him a little more credit than that. He can win games himself - he just needs a good team. He could not carry an average team.

I am not sure they know what "Elite" means making the list so long.
Nor do I believe a Superbowl changes much.

Are these Elite QBs?:
Jim Plunket
Joe Theismann
Ben Roethlisberger
Jeff Hoestetler
Mark Rypien
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Jim McMahon
Phil Simms
Doug Williams

Are these not Elite QBs?
Dan Marino
Dan Fouts
Jim Kelly
Warren Moon

And if just getting to the Superbowl is good enough then why not?
Earl Morrall
Craig Morton
Joe Kapp
Billy Kilmer
Vince Ferragamo
Ron Jaworski
David Woodley
Tony Eason
Boomer Esiason
Stan Humphries
Neil O'Donnell - I know a friend who once told me he was elite
Drew Bledsoe
Chris Chandler
Kerry Collins
Rich Gannon
Jake Delhomme
Matt Hasselbeck
Rex Grossman

I think Joe Flaco is elite in the same way Phil Simms and Joe Theisman were.

Joe Flacco has nine post season wins, several on the road. Been to the post season every year he has been in the league and still in his mid twenties.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom