mike d said on the radio today...... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
heard it on a local radio affiliate here in my parts, klrz fm. mike had a different slant on our cap situation. he said we did have 30 or so million dollars in cap money. he said we do not have any significant tight ends signed yet, brian young is not signed, will smith is in the last year of his deal, colston will also enter the last year of his deal. he also said patten, copper, and maybe someone else, were also ufa's. he mentioned aaron stecker also being an ufa. he stated that resigning some of these players will take a good chunk of that cap number. just passing on what i heard this morning. do you guys think this will hamper our aggressiveness in free agency? he mentioned, as most of you guys have stated before, we need one or more top tiered corners, an impact linebacker, and one dominating defensive linemen. that's about the gist of what he said.

Well, he is right of course. But that is something that we have known for awhile.

It all comes down to CAP management and personnel evaluation. We will also probably cut a few players to make some room, perhaps restructure one or two and structure new contracts to be cap friendly while putting some bonus dollars in players pockets up front.

This is Loomis' strength. If we evaluate our personnel right, I'm not at all concerned about the CAP. It will all work out just fine. :9:

All the more reason to let the UFA's we have walk (with the exception of some) and fill those spots through the Draft and whatever impact free agent we can find.

heard it on a local radio affiliate here in my parts, klrz fm. mike had a different slant on our cap situation. he said we did have 30 or so million dollars in cap money. he said we do not have any significant tight ends signed yet, brian young is not signed, will smith is in the last year of his deal, colston will also enter the last year of his deal. he also said patten, copper, and maybe someone else, were also ufa's. he mentioned aaron stecker also being an ufa. he stated that resigning some of these players will take a good chunk of that cap number. just passing on what i heard this morning. do you guys think this will hamper our aggressiveness in free agency? he mentioned, as most of you guys have stated before, we need one or more top tiered corners, an impact linebacker, and one dominating defensive linemen. that's about the gist of what he said.

yes, I do think that it will take a chunk of the available cap. That's why all of these threads of "lets sign and trade for every available player in the NFL" are ridiculous. Fortunately, the Saints have two of the best cap guys in the NFL in Loomis and Russ Ball. It also further magnifies the importance of filling one or more of those needs in the draft, since typically, rookie salaries cap-wise, are relatively lower in the first few years.

Charley Casserly just said on the CBS pregame show that he thinks Colsten will get a long term extension at some point during the offseason. I would imagine that's gonna involve giving him a considerable raise. He's earned it.

Well, he is right of course. But that is something that we have known for awhile.

It all comes down to CAP management and personnel evaluation. We will also probably cut a few players to make some room, perhaps restructure one or two and structure new contracts to be cap friendly while putting some bonus dollars in players pockets up front.

This is Loomis' strength. If we evaluate our personnel right, I'm not at all concerned about the CAP. It will all work out just fine. :9:

+1!

Also, the Saints had to re-sign many FA's last season who were starters etc, and had a good cap size as well last year. We re-signed them all + FA's from different teams as well, and we were still fine with the cap.

I would also think this means we have to renegoiate Duece's contract. I don't know if he is willing but it would seem necessary.

we still will have opportunity to sign FAs. mike talked about us being in good shape cap wise last week

Did he address the possibility of losing some players who don't deserve their salaries and how that could benefit the cap?

I.E. Jason David, Shanle, Simineau, Fred Thomas, etc.

I would like to point out that I cannot remember a time when we were left with less then 10 mil on the cap board before a season started. it seems like we never spend all of those dollars. maybe this is how Benson makes a profit due to the lower income on suites.

if this holds true this year that really only gives us 20 mil of cap space.

Charley Casserly just said on the CBS pregame show that he thinks Colsten will get a long term extension at some point during the offseason. I would imagine that's gonna involve giving him a considerable raise. He's earned it.
I hope a new and lucrative contract doesn't have the same effect on Colston's play as Grant's contract did on his level of play:covri:

Did he address the possibility of losing some players who don't deserve their salaries and how that could benefit the cap?

I.E. Jason David, Shanle, Simineau, Fred Thomas, etc.
Eric Johnson as well. Mark Campbell will return from IR, and that will likely be the end of Johnson. IMHO, Campbell is as good a reciever as Johnson and a better blocker.

I just hope this off-season is more productive than last year:dunno:

That would seem to be a logical move - assuming he comes back healthy.
I just hope that's not too big an assumption. I'd love to see him back, but 2 reconstructive knee surgeries in 3 years is a huge hurdle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom