Mike Detillier’s column: Rebuilding of the New Orleans Saints (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1533433410904-png.100642

By Mike Detillier / Correspondent - houmatoday.com

There is no question that the golden days of New Orleans Saints football has to be measured from 2009-2013.

The 2012 season, in which head coach Sean Payton was suspended for the season, ended up being a 7-9 campaign, but when you add up the numbers in those five years, the Saints were 55-25 overall. They made the playoff four times, won four playoff games and won a Super Bowl title in 2009.

But when the core unit of those teams got old or left via free agency, the Saints failed to replace many of their key players adequately either through free agency or the draft.

What we saw was a parade of veteran players who were well past their football prime. There were players who didn’t fit the team, were looking for a payday and not wanting to be a strong locker room presence or a leader on the team.

During five drafts held between the 2010-14 seasons, the Saints have only defensive end Cameron Jordan, halfback Mark Ingram and offensive tackle Terron Armstead still left on the roster. They did re-acquire cornerback Patrick Robinson after selecting him in the opening round of the 2010 draft after he made his rounds through the NFL after leaving the squad. ...

Full Story - houmatoday.com

Remember in 2015 when some people were livid because the Saints were giving up big plays and general looking Aints-ish, and Payton would just keep his arms folded and not say much?

He probably knew then what people know now in hindsight...........the team was rebuilding. He could never outwardly tell US that......because you want the fans to feel like anytime Brees is out there, the team has a shot. But he knew ..........and I wouldn't even be shocked if his expectations for last season were initially so-so.......before realizing just how big they hit it with that draft.

Remember in 2015 when some people were livid because the Saints were giving up big plays and general looking Aints-ish, and Payton would just keep his arms folded and not say much?

He probably knew then what people know now in hindsight...........the team was rebuilding. He could never outwardly tell US that......because you want the fans to feel like anytime Brees is out there, the team has a shot. But he knew ..........and I wouldn't even be shocked if his expectations for last season were initially so-so.......before realizing just how big they hit it with that draft.

I’m still in shock with last year’s draft. And I called how good AK would be. Proud of that.
That class may turn out to be our best ever.

I remember it well. I told all the people in my season ticket crew that we were in for a couple of rough years but when 2017 came along it would start to be fun again. Well, it's fun again. :)

I remember it well. I told all the people in my season ticket crew that we were in for a couple of rough years but when 2017 came along it would start to be fun again. Well, it's fun again. :)

2014 thru 2016 basically felt like a continuation of one annoying season......mixed in with occasional bursts of hope.

Not terribly different from that 2001 thru 2004 run we had with Haslett / Brooks.

Ideally, you have the right mixture of young and veteran players, so you never need to rebuild. PIT and NE have been the model for that over the years. I guess sometimes the players go bad on you, whether on the field or in the locker room, before you know what happened. Coaching is tough. Strict disciplinarian coaches are gambling. Players tend to respond to them more quickly, but if they don't win, they reject their program more quickly. Seems to me Payton has it about right, but there are always players that are unhappy no matter what.

We have been rebuilding for the last 3-4 seasons, people were upset when Payton resigned to Coach the Saints because for some reason people thought a new coach meant new results but a new coach would have to do the same thing Coach Payton has done for the second time since he arrived here and that's rebuild the roster into a competitive competent unit having moved away from the talented but troubled players he was trying to strike gold with and went back to his recipe of smart, tough football players (emphasis on smart).

It’s not just that we rebuilt

I think we rebuilt with life after Brees in mind

The best WR corps we’ve ever had, good running game, good oline and young and talented defense

Drew takes advantage of that for the next couple years

And for whoever succeeds Brees has a much easier time

Our post Brees years may not be as dark as I feared

We have to find a way to keep Jeff Ireland long term. His eye for talent is undeniable.
When we win the SB this season it is going to be hard to keep the coaching and some key FO staff. There are legit 6-7 assistant coaches on our team that could be (or have already been) NFL head coaches. And Ireland if he desires it could easily be a GM again. However it is a problem you want to have after you hoist the Lombardi.

We have to find a way to keep Jeff Ireland long term. His eye for talent is undeniable.
Like the players, or anyone else...gonna have to pay the man .

Maybe Loomis changes title to something like President of Football operations and Ireland gets GM title and and equivalent pay.

But Ireland ultimately may want to go somewhere where he gets the top decision making power as well. It's only natural.

It’s not just that we rebuilt

I think we rebuilt with life after Brees in mind

The best WR corps we’ve ever had, good running game, good oline and young and talented defense

Drew takes advantage of that for the next couple years

And for whoever succeeds Brees has a much easier time

Our post Brees years may not be as dark as I feared

Except it won't be so easy just to keep everybody around, eventually we'll have to pay them - obviously much easier with drew's money off the books, but if you want to afford all the young talent we're developing we'll need to find a (relatively) cheap quarterback, like what seattle was able to accomplish (until RW finally got his payday).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom