Article Mike Detillier: ‘Coach O’ called his shot before successful season (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1578808524810.png

By Mike Detillier / Sports Correspondent

When the LSU Coaches Tiger Tour came to Houma last May, it gave LSU football coach Ed Orgeron, former LSU halfback Kevin Faulk, special teams coordinator Greg McMahon and LSU offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger a chance to visit Bayou Country.

In an interview I did with Orgeron and former LSU Tiger halfback/now broadcaster Jacob Hester, I asked Orgeron about playing for the National Championship.

“Playing for the Southeastern Conference title and the National Championship is our goal each year,” Orgeron said. “As long as I am here at LSU those two goals are always going to be what we shoot for. But when was the last time I spoke to you about playing for a National Championship in May? Remember, it was before the summer of 2004 when I was at USC. We had a great team, tremendous coaches and great focus and determination to win the National Championship. You got a deep memory bank so you will remember this. I really feel if we don’t get a bunch of injuries to key players at one spot we will be playing for the National title in New Orleans in January. We have a tough schedule, this is the SEC so you know the competition, we have some hurdles to jump in getting some key players healthy and we have to beat that school a little out East of us (Alabama), but I feel strongly about this team this year. If I didn’t feel that way I wouldn’t tell you that.”

Full Story - houmatoday.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom