Mike Detillier: Lutz fills the Saints kicking void (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
detillier.png

By Mike Detillier / Sports Correspondent

Saints coach Sean Payton is known for his offensive play calling and his offenses have been ranked in the Top 6 in every year he has been in New Orleans.

Another thing he has been known for is his lack of patience with kickers.

Up until the point when the Saints picked up placekicker Wil Lutz, Payton has averaged having a kicker a year during his tenure with the Saints.

For Lutz, a conversation between Payton and Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh changed his football career and it put a fix to the Saints kicking woes.

“I was confident I could kick in the NFL to be honest, but I also knew when I signed with the Ravens coming out of Georgia State it would be difficult to beat out Justin Tucker,” Lutz said. “Justin is an elite kicker. He’s made a ton of game winning kicks for them. But the experience with the Ravens was great in watching a pro like Tucker on how he handles the mental part of the game, his techniques, his ability to work with the snapper and holder and he is all about perfection. I knew I would get another shot in the league once they released me late in 2016. And I appreciate Coach Harbaugh speaking to Sean (Payton) about giving me a chance.”

Full Story - Comet

Well hopefully he can take it to the team that let him go during the game today. Not that he had a chance there anyway; but it turned out to be a great opportunity for him that I'm sure Lutz is thankful for. Strangely enough I was shocked that Payton actually showed patience with him when he struggled at first being on the Saints roster. Glad that he did because he's been pretty solid. Knock on wood hope that continues.

Tip my hat to John for helping us out. He definitely coached the sport with class unlike his brother. He won a Superbowl the right way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom