Mike Detillier: Remembering Gay Culverhouse (1 Viewer)

• Admin
1593998815563.png

By Mike Detillier / Sports Correspondent

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers president Gay Culverhouse passed away from an aggressive form of leukemia on July 1.

Three weeks ago, she told me that doctors at the Mayo Clinic told her she might have three months to live, but in reality, she survived only one month.

Gay was a good friend of mine and had so many ties to LSU even though she attended the University of Florida and Columbia University.

Culverhouse’s mother was the first female golfer on the LSU golf team because they had no woman’s golf program at that time. Two of Gay’s grandchildren currently attend LSU and every time she would call me over the last few years she would start the conversation with “How’s Coach O doing in recruiting?”

When LSU defeated Alabama in November, it was Gay Culverhouse who was the first to call me as I was waiting to do pregame coverage for WWL-TV Channel 4 and she counted down the final seconds of the contest and let out this loud yell of excitement.

Culverhouse was a frequent guest of “The Second Guess Show” on WWL 870-AM on Monday nights with Bobby Hebert and I and she was very colorful and opinionated.

Full Story - houmatoday.com

Dan

Dan

Admin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom