Article Mike Detillier: The national recruiting plan for LSU & Early Views from Saints Workouts (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

By Mike Detillier / Sports Correspondent

EARLY VIEWS FROM SAINTS WORKOUT DAYS

Training Camp is right around the corner for the New Orleans Saints, but here are a few of my looks at the early offseason workouts.

Tight end Jared Cook is a superb fit player in the New Orleans Saints offense. The 32-year-old Cook’s size, length, his ability to stretch the field and playmaking skills after the reception are exactly what this team needs to upgrade their offensive firepower.

Rookie safety Chauncey Gardner-Johnson has mentally picked up the Saints defense in short order. Johnson played across the board at Florida at free and strong safety and as a slot cornerback and he has done the same with the Black and Gold and gotten high praise from his teammates and coaches. This Gator has some real “bite” in his play.

Watch for two wide receivers during the training camp period and in preseason games in Simmie Cobbs and newly signed veteran wide receiver Rishard Matthews.

Full Story - houmatoday.com

Good read. Sound like we have some good players. Not just players with potential.

1560707984174.png

By Mike Detillier / Sports Correspondent

EARLY VIEWS FROM SAINTS WORKOUT DAYS

Training Camp is right around the corner for the New Orleans Saints, but here are a few of my looks at the early offseason workouts.

Tight end Jared Cook is a superb fit player in the New Orleans Saints offense. The 32-year-old Cook’s size, length, his ability to stretch the field and playmaking skills after the reception are exactly what this team needs to upgrade their offensive firepower.

Rookie safety Chauncey Gardner-Johnson has mentally picked up the Saints defense in short order. Johnson played across the board at Florida at free and strong safety and as a slot cornerback and he has done the same with the Black and Gold and gotten high praise from his teammates and coaches. This Gator has some real “bite” in his play.

Watch for two wide receivers during the training camp period and in preseason games in Simmie Cobbs and newly signed veteran wide receiver Rishard Matthews.

Full Story - houmatoday.com
I've heard about the new receivers the team has bought in much more than Kirkwood or Smith. I don't know whether I should be excited about that or not. I thought Smith flashed enough last season that he could evolve into a more reliable #3 WR this year, and Kirkwood showed consistent enough production in 2018 to become this season's #4. But I haven't heard their names often if at all in the last several days.

I've heard about the new receivers the team has bought in much more than Kirkwood or Smith. I don't know whether I should be excited about that or not. I thought Smith flashed enough last season that he could evolve into a more reliable #3 WR this year, and Kirkwood showed consistent enough production in 2018 to become this season's #4. But I haven't heard their names often if at all in the last several days.

Not too concerned about them for now. It’s been awhile since we’ve had so many new/young WRs for coaches to look at. But it will definitely bear watching come TC!

Rishard Matthews is legit.

Elliss will surprise a lot of people this Summer. He's strong, reacts quickly, sheds blocks well, takes the correct angle, and rarely misses a tackle.

:gosaints:

Matthews isn’t the biggest or fastest, but he’s thick, quick, has been productive, and has experience. With soo many young WRs, that experience should give him an edge, and a pretty good chance of making the 53.

I like Eliss too! He’s very athletic, but you nailed it about his strength! Along with nearly 33in arms and 10 1/2 in hands, Eliss put up 20 reps on the bench! That’s why he’s able to shed blocks and can still make the tackle.

Ellis definitely has the size and athleticism and good instincts he just needs to adjust to the speed of the NFL.

We now have depth at WR we were missing and it will be a huge competition behind Thomas.
Ginn and Meridith are healthy, Smith and Kirkwood are entering their 2nd year and Cobbs if not for his off the field incident graded out as a day 2 pick and with the addition of Matthew's gives us the slot guy we've missed since Snead left.

I thought I read that Kirky was held out with some small health issue or tweak. Maybe a hammy or a quad.

Not a thing on TQS though... and he was a star of the shorts and shells practices last summer.

Last edited:
Definitely like what he has to say about McCoy at the end of the article too. It'd be great if he could come in and win the job to be the day one starter because that'd leave us with choices only for depth on the OL - of which we've got plenty.

We're probably going to get rid of a lot of players who'll make other teams' 53 man rosters this year - practice squad, for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom