Article Mike Detillier: The talk about Ryan Ramczyk (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

By Mike Detillier / Sports Correspondent

With the Louisiana Linemen Camp and Manning Passing Academy taking place at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux over the next week, there is a lot of talk between coaches and former players about current college players and guys in the NFL.

One player who has gotten a lot of attention is New Orleans Saints right offensive tackle Ryan Ramczyk.

Ramczyk was the final first-round selection in the 2017 NFL draft, but some coaches feel he may well be the best right tackle in the NFL today.

“I didn’t know a lot about Ryan Ramczyk until the Saints picked him,” a college offensive line coach said. “Having to prepare for other teams and with Wisconsin not being on our schedule, I didn’t know a lot about him. I read about him in your draft book, but I can’t say I watched him. But today when I break down film to show my players I show them film on Ramczyk. Here’s a guy who wasn’t a three, four or five-star recruit who came from a vocational-technical school to play at Wisconsin. He gets hurt late in the 2016 season for the Badgers and he emerges as one of the best technique players in the game today. His footwork and body balance skills are off the charts for a big man and he is a very physical run blocker. Ryan is the type player others can learn from because of how he does things so consistently well from snap to snap. He’s a tremendous pass blocker and he knows how to use his hands and arms so well to tie-up and stun blockers at the point of attack. I have watched a lot of right tackles in the NFL and Ramczyk, in my opinion, is the best in the league today. (Alvin) Kamara and (Michael) Thomas are star players, but so is Ramczyk.”

Full Story - houmatoday.com

When we drafted him I got a text from a friend whose son went to UW, he watched every one of Ram's games....the text said "congrats, the Saints just drafted the best offensive lineman in the draft and their starter at RT for the next 10 years"

When we drafted him I got a text from a friend whose son went to UW, he watched every one of Ram's games....the text said "congrats, the Saints just drafted the best offensive lineman in the draft and their starter at RT for the next 10 years"

Who did Saints fans want to draft over Ram again?

Oh, yeah. Reuben Foster.

We were lucky or what

We had Foster on the phone. Then the 49ers called so he hung up on us. It looked as though the 9ers had crushed our soul yet again. But now Foster is on the Redskins' IR and Ram is one of the best young Tackles in football. Thank god for call waiting.

Thank god for call waiting.
I may have been one of the few people screaming that we shouldn't want anything to do with Foster. I'm actually kinda surprised that he was so high on our draft board with character issues. There's just something that doesn't seem to click in that dude's brain.

I was still surprised by the Ramczyk pick. I just thought we were going to be going for best defensive player available. Sure am glad I was wrong about that. We've got a RT who'll end up in at least the Saints HOF if he plays his whole career here.

I may have been one of the few people screaming that we shouldn't want anything to do with Foster. I'm actually kinda surprised that he was so high on our draft board with character issues. There's just something that doesn't seem to click in that dude's brain.

I was still surprised by the Ramczyk pick. I just thought we were going to be going for best defensive player available. Sure am glad I was wrong about that. We've got a RT who'll end up in at least the Saints HOF if he plays his whole career here.

Remember though, that prior to the combine, Foster was considered a top five pick! Things fell apart for him at the combine and he definitely, n literally, paid the price, n dropped from an easy top 10 pick to the end of the 1st rd.

I’m no big Bama fan, either. They’ve been so dominant/talented, esp on D, that I found it hard to project how they’ll do individually in the pros. But after I saw Fosters college vids, I mean...he’s good, REALLY good! Despite the background, I could still see why he could be a steal as a late 1st rd pick.

But fortunately, we got a much better STEAL with Ram!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom