Article Mike Detillier: Things to Watch for at Saints Training Camp (1 Viewer)

I kind of have the same feeling about Kirkwood, he just needs more CONSISTENCY and needs to beat out the likes of Matthews and TQS in TC and preseason....we will see....

In another thread I have Rishard Matthews as one of my “under the radar” players for this very reason. Prior to last season, from 2015-2017, Matthews averaged about 54 catches, for 800 yds n 6 TDs. Last year, he signed a one year extension with the Titans, but asked to be released because of lack of playing time. He signed with the Jets during the season, but played little n ended up on IR.

Not being signed in vet FA had to only add to his frustration. Safe to say, he had a bit of a chip in his shoulder when the Saints finally gave him a tryout during minicamp. The team liked what they saw n wasted little time in signing the 29 yr old to a one year deal.

Again, after MT n Ginn, we have lotsa young talented WRs on the roster. But like you said, for many, it’s about developing
CONSISTENCY.

Meanwhile, Matthews ain’t the biggest or fastest of the bunch, but he has the experience, and he knows HOW to play. For 3 straight years, he was a productive n consistent player. So IF he gets back to THAT form, don’t be surprised if he makes the 53.

In another thread I have Rishard Matthews as one of my “under the radar” players for this very reason. Prior to last season, from 2015-2017, Matthews averaged about 54 catches, for 800 yds n 6 TDs. Last year, he signed a one year extension with the Titans, but asked to be released because of lack of playing time. He signed with the Jets during the season, but played little n ended up on IR.

Not being signed in vet FA had to only add to his frustration. Safe to say, he had a bit of a chip in his shoulder when the Saints finally gave him a tryout during minicamp. The team liked what they saw n wasted little time in signing the 29 yr old to a one year deal.

Again, after MT n Ginn, we have lotsa young talented WRs on the roster. But like you said, for many, it’s about developing
CONSISTENCY.

Meanwhile, Matthews ain’t the biggest or fastest of the bunch, but he has the experience, and he knows HOW to play. For 3 straight years, he was a productive n consistent player. So IF he gets back to THAT form, don’t be surprised if he makes the 53.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Matthews makes the team...his experience helps no doubt....but if its close between him and a WR in their early 20's?

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Matthews makes the team...his experience helps no doubt....but if its close between him and a WR in their early 20's?

Well, there will likely be 6 WR spots. After MT n Ginn, that makesTHREE spots open. It might be 4, but IMO, that last spot may go to a STs guy ( I’m keepn an eye on a player like Deonte Harris or Cyril Grayson here).

So for Matthews NOT to make the 53, it would take not one, but THREE of our young WRs to beat him out for spots 3, 4 AND 5. It COULD happen, maybe it will, n I trust me, I hope it does.

But what IF it DOESNT happen n those young guys don’t step up? Will we then see another year of MT, a lil Ted Ginn, and a cast of not-ready-for- prime-time players at WR?

So for now, at the LEAST, jus look at Matthews as an “insurance policy”. Better to have him n not need him.....

Matthews is not the biggest ( 6’0” 217) or fastest ( 4.62 forty). But like you said, he does have the experience. And IF he plays like he’s capable of, like I said, he’s a productive player who knows HOW to play! And regardless of position, if ur a receiver in this O who knows HOW to play, it won’t take long to get Drew’s attention. Once you start makin some plays n gain his trust and confidence, #9 WILL find you!

That’s why I have Matthews as an under the radar player for us this season.

We’ll see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom