Article Mike Detillier: Things to Watch for at Saints Training Camp (1 Viewer)

Said it last year and I'll say it again: Don't sleep on Kirkwood. He's big, fast, smart, and has a heart similar to Colston. I like the way he takes advantage of his size and makes YAC.

I love Kirky! I think he has the ability to be the Saints version of Adam Thielen. I have more faith in Kirky to seize the #2 WR role than any other WR on the roster.

As far as the Mike D article goes... I’m very excited to see Taysom Hill in TC. Watching him in the preseason is what I’m most looking forward to. I just believe in the guy. He’s a special talent, and I’m not giving up on him being the heir-apparent.

As far as the Mike D article goes... I’m very excited to see Taysom Hill in TC. Watching him in the preseason is what I’m most looking forward to. I just believe in the guy. He’s a special talent, and I’m not giving up on him being the heir-apparent.

I have been thinking the past few days. Taysom, from what I have seen, seems to have a heck of an arm. He can chunk the ball down the field, and he's thrown a few passes that were on point. He hasn't had a ton of chances to pass here, and is no doubt nowhere near Brees in accuracy. BUT.. I can't help but think the addition of Hill somehow rejuvinated Payton's creativity.

Think of all the ways Payton has used him. I find myself asking, has Payton basically just been giving him an extended look to see how effective the offense would actually run with that type of a guy at QB? Or is he just mixing it up while we have a guy like that. He can run, he can pass. It definitely opens the playbook and makes things interesting.

I, too, think Taysom has every shot to compete for the eventual starting job, and I think in a way, he's showing now that things could be very interesting with a guy like him. He just needs to work on accuracy, but I do think we could possibly win some games with him. Whether or not he lands the job eventually, I don't know, but I'm also rooting for him.

No mention of Davenport...???

In my mind, he's the one guy on defense that can take us from "middle of the pack" to "top notch"....

He has every physical tool you could ask for... If the light comes on for him this year.... and Cam Jordan stays Cam Jordan.... Not many people will be able to block them both.

Davenport is the guy I am looking at...

No mention of Davenport...???

In my mind, he's the one guy on defense that can take us from "middle of the pack" to "top notch"....

He has every physical tool you could ask for... If the light comes on for him this year.... and Cam Jordan stays Cam Jordan.... Not many people will be able to block them both.

Davenport is the guy I am looking at...

Remember the early days of Junya? Jordan and Gallete combined for like 28 sacks. That was aweome. I hope Davenport can be that force opposite Jordan, because back then we didn't have the interior players we have now. Our D-line has the potential to be sick!

I have been thinking the past few days. Taysom, from what I have seen, seems to have a heck of an arm. He can chunk the ball down the field, and he's thrown a few passes that were on point. He hasn't had a ton of chances to pass here, and is no doubt nowhere near Brees in accuracy. BUT.. I can't help but think the addition of Hill somehow rejuvinated Payton's creativity.

Think of all the ways Payton has used him. I find myself asking, has Payton basically just been giving him an extended look to see how effective the offense would actually run with that type of a guy at QB? Or is he just mixing it up while we have a guy like that. He can run, he can pass. It definitely opens the playbook and makes things interesting.

I, too, think Taysom has every shot to compete for the eventual starting job, and I think in a way, he's showing now that things could be very interesting with a guy like him. He just needs to work on accuracy, but I do think we could possibly win some games with him. Whether or not he lands the job eventually, I don't know, but I'm also rooting for him.

Taysom Hill will never be as accurate as Drew Brees, but the fact is... practically no one will be. Brees is a HoFer and record breaker/holder because he is one of the best EVER.
However, there are things Taysom Hill can do that Brees has never been able to do. Hill is a very special talent.
If the offense was tailored to Taysom Hill’s strengths, I believe he could be a very good QB.

More than anything else though.. what really makes me believe Taysom could be the guy... is how his teammates appear to love him and rally around him. He has leadership qualities that cannot be taught.

I love Kirky! I think he has the ability to be the Saints version of Adam Thielen. I have more faith in Kirky to seize the #2 WR role than any other WR on the roster.

I kind of have the same feeling about Kirkwood, he just needs more consistency and needs to beat out the likes of Matthews and TQS in TC and preseason....we will see....

NFL Training camp starts today for the most part and there is like zero buzz around the league.

Thanks! I tend to only write something when I don't already see that someone else has. No sense in beating a horse to death??
I think it’s beating a dead horse but if you feel like you want to be a horse to death then by all means go ahead, who am I to judge!?

Our defense has the most talent ever IMO.

The defensive line is really talented.

DE: Cam Jordan, Marcus Davenport, Mario Edwards Jr, Trey Hendrickson, Geneo Grissom, Wes Horton, Corbin Kaufusi

DT: Sheldon Rankins, Malcom Brown, David Onyemata, Taylor Stallworth, Sylvester Williams, Kenny Bigelow

Mario Edwards & Sylvester Williams are some pretty talented players we added. Malcom Brown should be a HUGE upgrade to Tyeler Davison IMO. We are deepest we have been on the interior and pretty deep on the outside as well.

The linebackers have some of the best depth possibly in years.

Demario Davis, Alex Anzalone, AJ Klein, Craig Robertson, Kaden Elliss, Vince Biegel, Porter Gustin, Darnell Sankey, Colton Jumper, Chase Hansen

I can’t wait to see Kaden Elliss, Porter Gustin(could be a pass rush DE), & Chase Hansen(when healthy). Those 3 have some serious talent to go with some pretty good LBs already on the roster. Hopefully we can keep Hansen on the roster/IR till next year if he’s not able to play in camp & preseason. Think he can be a legit WILL linebacker in the NFL.

The secondary is off the charts with talent as well.

CB: Marshon Lattimore, Eli Apple, Patrick Robinson, PJ Williams, Ken Crawley, Justin Hardee, Kayvon Webster, Marcus Sherels

S: Marcus Williams, Vonn Bell, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson(slot corner), Chris Banjo, Saquan Hampton, JT Gray, Rickey Jefferson

This is by far the most talent we have ever had in the secondary. Adding PRob, CGJ, Hampton, & maybe even Webster makes this secondary one of the deepest in the league. Can’t wait to see what PRob, CGJ, & Hampton look like in camp/preseason. CGJ has some serious talent and hopefully can be our Tyrann Mathieu type of versatile DB that can play both safety & nickel corner. Our 5th corner for now was our starter just a couple of seasons ago.

Last edited:
Time to clean the refresh button on my laptop. First day of practice is almost here. Gosh I love this time of the year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom