Article Mike Detillier: Things to Watch for at Saints Training Camp (2 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1563684222609.png

By Mike Detillier / Sports Correspondent

The New Orleans Saints are starting the training camp practices in the next few days and here are a few things to keep an eye on as we are getting ready to kickoff the 2019 football campaign.

DEVELOPING THE YOUNG RECEIVING UNIT

Michael Thomas was marvelous last season catching 125 passes for 1,405 yards and nine touchdowns, but the next best wide receiver number wise was Tre’Quan Smith, who caught 28 passes for 427 yards and five scores.

Teams at the end of the 2018 season double-teamed Thomas and Alvin Kamara and forced the other receiving options to get open downfield.

The Saints have combated that sort of coverage scheme due to adding a very talented pass-catching tight end in Jared Cook, who is a perfect fit for the Saints offense, but this team needs to develop a young receiving unit.

Healthy, the Saints know what they will get out of the speedy Ted Ginn, Jr., but he’s 34 years old and like all players, if an injury occurs it takes a little longer to get back in the lineup.

The Saints coaching staff saw glimpses and are still very high on the receiving skills of Smith and Keith Kirkwood, but what they want to see from both is more improvement in their consistency to get open and further developing their ability to gain separation downfield. Both players flashed skills to be good NFL receivers, but they need to further their growth overall to make this a strong unit.

Full Story - houmatoday.com

Not sure if it goes against TOS, but if someone could DM me the text of the full article, it would be much appreciated. Houma is one of the sites that deny access to my side of the Atlantic since GDPR came in, and I like to read Mike D.

The things I'm looking forward to seeing in camp this year:

1. How does Murray step into the shoes of Ingram with pass protection. Ingram was EXCELLENT at this!

2. The chemistry between Brees and Cook.

3. Does Meredith show up and play like the WR he was paid to come here and be. I don't know if we can afford to cut him if he doesn't produce, but him holding a spot with "hopes" of being an force on the field is not going to help us ONE bit! Show up or move on time in my mind...

4. Armstead's health...curious how many "rest" days he gets in camp. Should be telling as to how his health holds up through the season in the coach's eyes.

5. Does Davenport take the next step to becoming what we hope out of him.

6. How much are we REALLY gonna miss Rankins on the line.

7. Who steps up to play the #4 and 5 spot in our LB'ing corp? I feel our starters are solidified after their showing from last season.

8. Our defensive backfield played "above average" last year. Who steps up and steps out will be a big question. We have tremendous talent, so it's time for them to get and shut down the backend of the field.

9. Is "The Leg" like a fine wine or what? He seems to get better and better each year. What's next....6 second hang times on those punts????

10. Finally...these guys know they are good. Curious to see how the staff handles camp this year to ENSURE, we stay healthy and make it to the big dance after being robbed in back to back years. What's the attitude of the coaches and players gonna be coming out of the gates this year? Fast start, ears pinned back and showing total dominance in each and every game...starting with game 1?

All good questions. I do, however, believe that Meredith does not have a salary issue (took a pay cut this offseason) that would preclude the Saints from cutting him if he cannot come back from his devastating injury. I just hope one of those guys can step up and become that true ascending #2!

I am with Mike D in wondering how much Taysom has improved over the offseason. You hear about everyone else’s off-season training, but nobody has really talked about Taysom. Has he worked on being a wide receiver, quarterback, running back, tight end?

The things I'm looking forward to seeing in camp this year:

1. How does Murray step into the shoes of Ingram with pass protection. Ingram was EXCELLENT at this!

2. The chemistry between Brees and Cook.

3. Does Meredith show up and play like the WR he was paid to come here and be. I don't know if we can afford to cut him if he doesn't produce, but him holding a spot with "hopes" of being an force on the field is not going to help us ONE bit! Show up or move on time in my mind...

4. Armstead's health...curious how many "rest" days he gets in camp. Should be telling as to how his health holds up through the season in the coach's eyes.

5. Does Davenport take the next step to becoming what we hope out of him.

6. How much are we REALLY gonna miss Rankins on the line.

7. Who steps up to play the #4 and 5 spot in our LB'ing corp? I feel our starters are solidified after their showing from last season.

8. Our defensive backfield played "above average" last year. Who steps up and steps out will be a big question. We have tremendous talent, so it's time for them to get and shut down the backend of the field.

9. Is "The Leg" like a fine wine or what? He seems to get better and better each year. What's next....6 second hang times on those punts????

10. Finally...these guys know they are good. Curious to see how the staff handles camp this year to ENSURE, we stay healthy and make it to the big dance after being robbed in back to back years. What's the attitude of the coaches and players gonna be coming out of the gates this year? Fast start, ears pinned back and showing total dominance in each and every game...starting with game 1?

Chad: You don't post a lot (<2000 since 2003), but with posts like this... you should do so more often.

Great job! :9:

:gosaints:

“Lil” Jordan Humphrey will be given a long look. Humphrey, a 6-3 ½, 215-pound END, caught 86 passes for 1,176 yards and nine touchdowns as a junior for the Longhorns in 2018."

I love Mike D, and I love how he occasionally uses "end" instead of wide receiver, a la 1969. I hope he never stops.

I want to see the battle at WR between Smith, Kirkwood, Meredith, Simmie Cobbs and Lil'Jordan Hunphrey. What a great problem to have if they all end up being good enough to make the team. I know we can't keep them all. The only ones that are pretty much guaranteed to have a starting spot right now are Thomas and Ginn. Think the odd man out right now is Carr. But then you have to consider we also have Cyril Grayson Jr., Deonte Harris, Micah Wright and Rishard Matthews. It will be a battle for sure to see who will get the final 3 or maybe 4 spots at WR.

I want to see the battle at WR between Smith, Kirkwood, Meredith, Simmie Cobbs and Lil'Jordan Hunphrey. What a great problem to have if they all end up being good enough to make the team. I know we can't keep them all. The only ones that are pretty much guaranteed to have a starting spot right now are Thomas and Ginn. Think the odd man out right now is Carr. But then you have to consider we also have Cyril Grayson Jr., Deonte Harris, Micah Wright and Rishard Matthews. It will be a battle for sure to see who will get the final 3 or maybe 4 spots at WR.

Ginn has been good for us no doubt, but I'd love to see a Colston-Stallworth type development occur where Ginn gets pushed off the roster. Right now, I just dont see that happening. No one makes me feel really good. It sounded like Rishard Matthews looked the best in the spring and that says volumes for how well our young guys have distinguished themselves.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom