Mike Detillier's Football World - D-Line coach Orgeron back on the bayou (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
askmike.jpg

Mike Detillier / Houma Courier

Today, when I think about former South Lafourche defensive lineman and Ole Miss head coach Ed Orgeron, I recall a conversation I had in 1995 with then New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

Kiffin is currently the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator.

When doing a radio show for WWL 870-AM, Kiffin was a guest with Buddy Diliberto and myself. During the show’s break, I asked Kiffin what went wrong when he was the head coach at North Carolina State from 1980-1982.

“I thought I knew everything about coaching,” Kiffin said. “I had worked under guys like Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne at Nebraska and been the defensive coordinator for Lou Holtz at Arkansas. They were great teachers, but I learned that maybe I wasn’t quite ready at that time in my career to be a head coach. You have to be smart about assistants you hire, get good recruits and win quickly. I didn’t do a good enough job in any of those three areas. I was just fortunate that after I was fired, Bart Starr, who was the head coach with the Green Bay Packers back then, hired me and gave me a new life in the pro ranks.”

After a few seconds of laughter, Kiffin added, “Maybe I just wasn’t wired right to be a head coach.” Full Story - Courier
http://www.houmatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080127/SPORTS/928925705/1103/SPORTS02

In his 1st mock draft Mike has us taking:

10. New Orleans Saints -- Keith Rivers, OLB, USC

Mike doesn't even have Aqib Talib going in the 1st round and he doesn't have Kenny Phillips going until pick #27 to the Chargers.

Great read. I really like the part where he Orgeron talked about playing aggressively upfront and also having lighter ends. I think with about 5 to 10 pounds, you would see better play from Grant and Smith. People forget how fast Smith was coming out of tOSU. He ran a 4.5 in the 40 when he came out, which was quite impressive for a man his size. His first year in the league, he was a terror coming off the edge and led the leagued in forced fumbles. It would be wonderful to see him get back to that this upcoming season.

Wow. Detillier has the Saints taking Rivers at 10 (with Dorsey and Ellis off the board.) After the 10th pick, the next LB taken is Connor at 23. Kenny Phillips goes at 27!

From 10 to 31, 21 total first round selections after "ours" there are 9 defensive picks, and 3 of those are DEs. (On the other hand, 3 of them are CBs and 1 of them is Kenny Phillips.)

If, and I know that there's no telling, but IF somehow they Saints knew that the first round was going to go down like that, 2 words: TRADE DOWN.

Not that Rivers isn't a fine player. No disrespect intended. But damn.

If the Saints are stuck at 10 and Ellis and Dorsey are off the board then Rivers is the pick.

Wow. Detillier has the Saints taking Rivers at 10 (with Dorsey and Ellis off the board.) After the 10th pick, the next LB taken is Connor at 23. Kenny Phillips goes at 27!

From 10 to 31, 21 total first round selections after "ours" there are 9 defensive picks, and 3 of those are DEs. (On the other hand, 3 of them are CBs and 1 of them is Kenny Phillips.)

If, and I know that there's no telling, but IF somehow they Saints knew that the first round was going to go down like that, 2 words: TRADE DOWN.

Not that Rivers isn't a fine player. No disrespect intended. But damn.
Of course you would like to trade down in that situation, but how often do teams move up into the top 10 in the draft? It rarely happens and if the talent drops off around our pick why would any team want to pay the price to move up?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom