Mike Ditka was one toxic man as Saints coach (1 Viewer)

Didn't the Cam cleeland almost losing and eye happen when Ditka was here? Or was that Haslet
Pretty sure that was Ditka's team.

Yes, nothing builds team comaradarie like forcing your rookies to run a gauntlet with pillow cases over their heads and having your "teammates" punch, kick -- and in Cleeland's case hit you with a sock full of coins.

There was another player who smashed through a window and cut himself so bd it ended his career.

Definitely don't miss those days.

No disrespect to Iron Mike but he was a ā€œhas beenā€ when he came to the Saints. The game had already passed him by and his coaching style had faded we'll into the past.

I don't even think he was a "has been", the great team he had, was because of Buddy Ryan's defence plus Walter Payton.

Ditka is the classic egomaniac with a loud mouth that just got lucky with his circumstances.

Not a good coach, even with his time at Chicago.

This was too funny. You can hear Abramowicz apologizing as he was walking closer. What year was this from?

I'm sure most of our younger fans do not remember this era, but Ditka's era was a joke. He made a goof of himself, but inspite of the losing, it was an entertaining time.

I don't even think he was a "has been", the great team he had, was because of Buddy Ryan's defence plus Walter Payton.

Ditka is the classic egomaniac with a loud mouth that just got lucky with his circumstances.

Not a good coach, even with his time at Chicago.
Definitely agree. I didn't mention Buddy Ryan or the Bears 46 defense although it was one of my first thoughts (I was sitting in the doctor's officešŸ˜). Anyway, I kind of forgot about Walter Payton. I wasn't a Ditka fan after the 85ā€™ super bowl where gave Refrigerator Perry the TD and not ā€œSweetnessā€.

The older name of this site was ironera.com. Ditka's ineptitude made Andrus change its name. Start with the Ricky Williams trade and the SI cover. Rumor has it that Ditka made the trade during the draft and then played golf during the rest of it. He never seemed to me that he took the job seriously. And it never seemed to me that he considered the quarterback position seriously enough.

At least Bum Phillips and Jim Haslett tried to do something with the team. Ditka just didn't appear to care about it.

Last edited:
My least favorite Saints coach of all time...and that is saying a lot. A stubborn blowhard that was way overrated as Chicago's head coach. The end of his tenure was the only time I ever vowed to stop watching my Saints until a coach was fired. Thankfully I only had to wait a few games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom