Mike D's 1st round projections (1 Viewer)

Picking Ezekial Ansah in the first round would be like picking Jimmy Graham in the first round in 2010. It looks great if it plans out but there is too much you can't tell on an inexperienced player to mitigate the risk. Personally I wouldn't touch him until the second until he shows he can take a pounding and play hurt. Sounds harsh, but that's football.

There are front offices that feel the exact same way you do.

It's completely understandable, he is one of the most intriuging prospects IMO. Its more than just "he is a great athelete" though, he just comes off as this big ball of unmolded clay...tons of potntial and he seems to have true football instincts. That alone cant be coached. Even if we dont draft him (which I dont think we will) I will keep an eye on him. I just have a feeling (probably misguided) that he will have a great NFL career.

With the extra 2nd/3rd/4th round pick we have some flexibility.

I think trading down is just a pipe dream, we would love to do it but I hardly see a team falling in love with a player to trade up to 15, when similar options are coming just behind the draft.

I also think that if we totally skip out of the first round, to around 33-48 we may get an extra third rounder, but I don't see us claiming a second rounder by trading down.

I think trading down is just a pipe dream, we would love to do it but I hardly see a team falling in love with a player to trade up to 15, when similar options are coming just behind the draft.

I also think that if we totally skip out of the first round, to around 33-48 we may get an extra third rounder, but I don't see us claiming a second rounder by trading down.

Stranger things have happened. And from my experience of watching the draft, it never happens how you expect or want it to.

Have we ever traded down, atleast in the early rounds? Doesnt really fit our MO

Im excited for the draft.

I think this board is gonna light up big time. I see us drafting either secondary or offense. I forsee lots of threads heated over our first round selection.

Im excited for the draft.

I think this board is gonna light up big time. I see us drafting either secondary or offense. I forsee lots of threads heated over our first round selection.

:hihi:
Watch we take Lattimore at #15. I think the SR.com servers will literally explode.

Thought I'd post this here for those saying he will be there late in the 1st. Savage is a longtime NFL scout.

"I'm thinking that maybe even the top five with the way that teams are so desperate to adjust what they're doing for all these read-option quarterbacks," said Savage

Y! SPORTS

Thought I'd post this here for those saying he will be there late in the 1st. Savage is a longtime NFL scout.

Y! SPORTS

I'd be shocked if he goes top 5, not so shocked if he goes top 10.

He is all over the board. Some people (current and former scouts) are saying they wouldnt take him in the first. Some people think he could be the best defensive player in the draft. At the end of the day, it's all projection. If you take away what you THINK he can do with more experience and coaching, and just go off his college tape and athleticism, he is a late 1st rounder.

Personally, I have a prospect crush on him.

The thing that makes me giddy yet apprehensive (somehow) is that he doesn't explode off the snap. He literally comes out the 3pt stance (which he doesn't even know is called that) just to get himself upright then basically rushes with a split second delay. And he's still beating people.

There's bust potential, sure. But I'm a risk taker. If Ansah is there, take him. But I think he's gonna blow up like the...uh...is too soon to quote Biggie? Anyway.

The thing that makes me giddy yet apprehensive (somehow) is that he doesn't explode off the snap. He literally comes out the 3pt stance (which he doesn't even know is called that) just to get himself upright then basically rushes with a split second delay. And he's still beating people.

There's bust potential, sure. But I'm a risk taker. If Ansah is there, take him. But I think he's gonna blow up like the...uh...is too soon to quote Biggie? Anyway.

I completely agree. I'd take him, its just the risk taker in me. Guess thats why Im not a GM. :hihi:

I dont know how low his floor is though. I think the worst he could be is a flash player. A guy who will make 2 or 3 great plays and 3 or 4 "WTH?!" plays.

I suggested this guy 4 games into our season with his size and speed he is a steal a bit raw though

I definitely would not complain if he is our pick. Yes yes I have read all the "raw" analysis ad nauseam til I am blue in the face. Does he have a lot of football to learn? Absolutely, so do a ton of current players for our new 3-4 system.

What sells me on this kid he is beastly versus the run and can close on a QB in a flash. He has lightning quick reflexes only found in much lighter 230 lb backers, for a man his size is simply uncanny. He is the perfect weapon against these pistol offenses/running QB's out there. Carolina has our number right now with Cam's maneuverability against our slow D. Way too many plays I remember Smith or Jordan looking like statues trying to catch this guy. Carolina isn't the only team, Washington, Seattle, San Fran will all be in NFC playoff contention. We need a heat seeking missile on the D side to counter these teams mobile QB's as we are slow as molasses. Ansah IMO is the perfect player that can play all downs, great vs the run and can light up a QB quick fast and in a hurry. He would be a great pick for us and I am sure Ryan would know how to use him.

we are a bad drafting team in the first round. Hope things change this year.

I would trust guys who watch college football all the time over our front office in the first round.

But in the mid rounds we are great.

Well, it's certainly a lot to think about. It's still a defense in flux.

And I suppose that's what I mean by Ansah, who has great potential but very raw, not being a great fit for us. We have a new scheme, new coaches, old players who need to find a place in the new scheme, coming off a horrendous year defensively. I think it's going to be a hard place for a guy still really learning the game to come in and make an immediate impact. Where he would fit best is a strong and established defensive team which has had a few years of continuity. he could play either 3-4OLB or 4-3 End (where I like him better), but it's the environment he goes to which will have a big impact on whether or not he develops quickly or at all.

You know a lot more about these prospects than I do. I like Lemonier as a 3rd/4th round option based on the senior bowl. I've vaguely heard about Sio Moore and don't know Devin Taylor at all!

Im not ready to go that far yet.

I think that personal motivation plays a big part like it did with Cameron Jordan. I never saw him as a player that would be able to post more than 6 sacks in a season after 2011, but he lost weight, worked on his technique, approached the game with a solid attitude and was probably our best LE since Darren Howard last year.

Lemonier is a junior and didn't play at the senior bowl but i'd be ecstatic to take him in that range. He might be the second best edge-setting 3-4 linebacker in the draft behind ansah, and he really gets good extention on tackles with his arms against the run.

Sio Moore reminds me of an undeveloped version of James harrison and Devin Taylor might be an Aldon Smith Clone with better physical talent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom