Mike florio’s take on the saints . (1 Viewer)

I think the talk about Brees, losing a bit, is valid. When you're the BEST QB in the last decades, any slip is gonna look bad, but he still has far superior play than almost all of the QBs. Not having time in the pocket due to OL problems, separation probs, 3 div opponents in a row & his thumb, ALL effect performance(not to mention lost timing w/his receivers 5 weeks away, after surgery). Brees even said he needed to work faster in the pocket to help the left side. How many drops have we seen (especially THU)? For a QB who never had the arm, it's amazing that Brees has the best avg of all QBs in long passes(until this year).
Why does Brady get a pass & NE will get it ready for the playoffs, but NO can't? Brees is playing better than Brady(again), even missing 1/3 of the season. The schedule has DEFINITELY helped the NE stats/record. Their "historic"D has come back to earth.

Well, we are talking about how they looked in order to discuss if they will be able to win those 3 games.

The past does not predict future outcomes in the NFL. It only guarantees you the opportunity to compete.

Excellent critique of the Saints.

Ugly finish vs Houston
Ugly finish vs Seattle
Ugly finish vs Chicago
Ugly finish vs Carolina
Ugly finish vs Atlanta

Payton and Allen need to tighten things up considerably or you might be looking at something pretty ugly next Sunday.

Ugly finish vs Houston
Ugly finish vs Seattle
Ugly finish vs Chicago
Ugly finish vs Carolina
Ugly finish vs Atlanta

Payton and Allen need to tighten things up considerably or you might be looking at something pretty ugly next Sunday.

Seattle wasn’t an ugly finish. We kept them in bounds and let them chew clock.

Chicago and Atlanta were onside kick problems. We have to fix it, but I’d rather be so far ahead that we’re even dealing with onside kicks.

We just played four straight divisional games, which are always grinds. Outside of the penalties (and injuries), I’d say there’s very little that we’ve seen that is concerning relative to how it would translate to playing SF.

Last edited:
yet they are 10-2
The 2009 Saints didn’t always win
in style or was it pretty but they won.
I still can’t believe you guys are still
starting these negative threats.

Ugly finish vs Houston
Ugly finish vs Seattle
Ugly finish vs Chicago
Ugly finish vs Chicago
Ugly finish vs Carolina
Ugly finish vs Atlanta

Seattle wasn’t an ugly finish. We kept them in bounds and let them chew clock.

Chicago and Atlanta were onside kick problems. We have to fix it, but I’d rather be so far ahead that we’re even dealing with onside kicks.

We just played four straight divisional games, which are also grinds. Outside of the penalties (and injuries), I’d say there’s very little that we’ve seen that is concerning relative to how it would translate to playing SF.
That was utterly ridiculous the way we played defensively in the 4th quarter vs Seattle. That shouldn't be acceptable to any Saints fans.

I'm telling you that mindset of not playing every down on defense and taking plays off is going to bite us in the behind in the playoffs. That's the point I'm making.

Finish games like the Patriots do. That's why they win Super Bowls vs being merely one of the favorites to win it all but fall short. Belichick holds every player accountable to do their jobs the entire 60 minutes.

That was utterly ridiculous the way we played defensively in the 4th quarter vs Seattle. That shouldn't be acceptable to any Saints fans.

I'm telling you that mindset of not playing every down on defense and taking plays off is going to bite us in the behind in the playoffs. That's the point I'm making.

Finish games like the Patriots do. That's why they win Super Bowls vs being merely one of the favorites to win it all but fall short.

You mean the same Patriots that got annihilated by Baltimore? Or let Buffalo come back and needed an interception to stop a late game winning drive? Or let Philly hang around all game despite dropping passes left and right? Or needed bad calls to extend drives in the AFCCG last year?

The Seattle game was over. It was never close. Divisional games are what they are. Yes, we have some things to clean up. But so does every team right now (outside of maybe Baltimore). And we need to be peaking in a month. Not right now.

You mean the same Patriots that got annihilated by Baltimore? Or let Buffalo come back and needed an interception to stop a late game winning drive? Or let Philly hang around all game despite dropping passes left and right? Or needed bad calls to extend drives in the AFCCG last year?

The Seattle game was over. It was never close. Divisional games are what they are. Yes, we have some things to clean up. But so does every team right now (outside of maybe Baltimore). And we need to be peaking in a month. Not right now.

Saints better peak next Sunday if they know what's good for them.

I think the two have a good point. We don't have the long strike ball to rip the top off the defense with a streaking WR behind all the DBs. Brees is 40. Brady doesn't have that capability either and hasn't for at least 1 if not 2 years. But Bellicheck build a team to negate that as much as possible and they keep winning SBs

And what you said is that we could have had 2-3 long TDs. The ball may only go 30-35 yards in the air, but SP and Brees are geniuses. We just need Cook and Gin to catch the freakin ball.

But again, I just think this is a team of destiny. This is a magical season and no one can take away the fact that the Saints are the 1st to clinch their division with their HOF QB for 6-games. I don't think any other team could do what this Saints team has done this year and the best is yet to come.
Yeah that’s not true at all. Brees threw over 50 yards in the air to Ginn the other game, perfect in stride - dropped. Brees can throw it deep my man

Yeah that’s not true at all. Brees threw over 50 yards in the air to Ginn the other game, perfect in stride - dropped. Brees can throw it deep my man

Hope you are right Leather. I definitely want to very dumb about this. You and I want the same thing 1-2 more Lombardis before he retires. In a very clean pocket where Brees can really step into, in the Dome, I've seen 2 accurate 50 yarders. I've seen him float a few without a clean pocket but that's true for 90% of the pro QBs. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this, again hoping I'm wrong. Outside, especially in cool weather, Brees arm strength appears to me to be noticeably weaker. Do you think this is possible? thx much

Hope you are right Leather. I definitely want to very dumb about this. You and I want the same thing 1-2 more Lombardis before he retires. In a very clean pocket where Brees can really step into, in the Dome, I've seen 2 accurate 50 yarders. I've seen him float a few without a clean pocket but that's true for 90% of the pro QBs. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this, again hoping I'm wrong. Outside, especially in cool weather, Brees arm strength appears to me to be noticeably weaker. Do you think this is possible? thx much
I think the thumb injury had more to do with anything you observed regarding that this year. His arm is fine and the thumb is nearly 100% recovered. Can’t wait for the playoffs and sneak peak of the playoffs against the 9ers next week

I think the thumb injury had more to do with anything you observed regarding that this year. His arm is fine and the thumb is nearly 100% recovered. Can’t wait for the playoffs and sneak peak of the playoffs against the 9ers next week

Thx for your response. I don't know why. Ah-ha that's a self-lie lol. I think we are going to handle the 49er because Coach Pete feels strong we will. But Coach Pete is no savant at picking individual games, self-admitted. Personally, this team just seems to rise to the occasion and do what is necessary.

Edit: Coach Pete was not aware of this Dr Shin procedure. When he heard the details of the actual injury from one of the Saints trainers, he told me that it was probable Brees was out for much of the season. He said that so much of the power of the QB passing arm is dependent on that joint and finger/muscle (?) he tore it would be real hard for Brees to regain strength in his passing. Regardless, I still feel very confident Brees can and will lead this team to another SB this year. He's 2x the QB Brady was last year when the Pats won it all.

yet they are 10-2
The 2009 Saints didn’t always win
in style or was it pretty but they won.
I still can’t believe you guys are still
starting these negative threats.
It’s not meant to be a negative thread. I’m glad we are 10-2 , but Just trying to point out that this is a different saints team. We probably won’t see as many of the blow out wins like the past saints teams and that’s fine as long as we win!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom