Mike Florio and Chris Simms - keep Drew Brees or move on to Taysom Hill (1 Viewer)

Brees is a no brainer for next year and as long as he can maintain play at the level he did this year. It's amazing how some on the board expects perfection from him and is ready to throw him out with the trash. Arm strength still adequate, even though not as strong as many in the league. He is the most accurate passer in the league and probably the most dedicated, intense, and intelligent QB in the league. Give him more consistent protection and a more threatening WRs than MT, and our offense will be at the top of the league. Bridgewater has great trade value at this point. The Saints should use it and not lose it to free agency. Continue to use Taysom as we have. Contrary to the dreams of some, he is not a Lamar Jackson or will he ever be. But he is a unique talent that can make the difference.

Brees is a no brainer for next year and as long as he can maintain play at the level he did this year. It's amazing how some on the board expects perfection from him and is ready to throw him out with the trash. Arm strength still adequate, even though not as strong as many in the league. He is the most accurate passer in the league and probably the most dedicated, intense, and intelligent QB in the league. Give him more consistent protection and a more threatening WRs than MT, and our offense will be at the top of the league. Bridgewater has great trade value at this point. The Saints should use it and not lose it to free agency. Continue to use Taysom as we have. Contrary to the dreams of some, he is not a Lamar Jackson or will he ever be. But he is a unique talent that can make the difference.

I agree that Brees is still playing at a high level but I think there is more that goes into this decision than just that. The Saints are in the position where, reportedly, they have two other QBs they think highly of, and all three are going to be on the market. That means an assessment of opportunity costs has to be made, whichever decision they make. If they keep Drew and he can play at a high level for another season, while still accounting for decline in the skills of an older player, is that worth potentially losing out on future years of Teddy or Taysom? Or does the team feel good about its chances to replace Drew in a season or two with a player of equal or greater ability than they have on the roster right now?

I think they also have to decide if there are limitations developing in Drew's skills that are limiting the offense and can they game-plan effectively around that?

And, as much as the money side can be frustrating, is the value still there in signing Drew when looking at the big picture and making all the salaries work?

I don't have the answers to those questions, but I hope the team will be true to a full evaluation process, whichever direction they go.

Based off his performance against the Vikings, I feel Taysom has established himself as the future/new leader of this team. He has his flashy and he will have to adapt but I think this could be similar to a Nick Foles situation. His play will be solid while this team rallies around him and play better as a whole.

I think we are a better team with Drew at QB and Taysom used like he has been only used more. What we need is a deep threat to keep defense honest when Taysom plays QB. I dont think Taysom should be a full time QB. With the way he plays there is no chance he stays healthy for a full season and a deep playoff run.

How did the more slightly built Lamar stay healthy?
It was the part where I said I accepted the bet on the condition that included the Saints matching any offer.

That made it clear that I was conditioning the bet on Hill be valuable enough to a team to offer him a substantial contract, with or without giving up a 1st round pick.

Then I realized that the Saints might offer him a substantial contract before free agency, so I wanted to make sure that was clarified as well.

If you don't want to bet against Hill being valuable enough to a team to get a substantial contract, that's cool.

I'm willing to bet you that Hill gets a $9M a year or more contract from someone and the loser leaves the board forever.

Take it or leave it.

Clarify if the offer includes performance bonuses. Taysom knows he still has to prove the skeptics wrong so he may be willing to put his talent where his mouth is.

It's hard to accept, but Mike Florio and Chris Simms nailed the dilemma the FO has to deal with this offseason.
There's no dilemma here. The Saints can control Taysom's rights at an affordable cost for one more season, so it's perfectly reasonable to bring back both Brees and Hill. If there's a possible dilemma, it's with Bridgewater.

How did the more slightly built Lamar stay healthy?

Because he's a helluva lot more elusive than Hill. Hill would rather make contact than avoiding it. Why do you think he spent most of his college career injured. I love him as a gadget guy, but not sold on him as a full-time QB.

There's no dilemma here. The Saints can control Taysom's rights at an affordable cost for one more season, so it's perfectly reasonable to bring back both Brees and Hill. If there's a possible dilemma, it's with Bridgewater.

What is affordable? I won't be surprised if some team decides they want to take a chance that Taysom is the real deal and the second coming of Steve Young. Young was the same age when he took the 49er reins.

More than a few, who are more football savvy than most of us, think the odds are in Taysom's favor.

Is there any Saint fan on this forum that would say no to another SB?

I’m sure we can’t do this but asking question anyway,can we sign Brees to a non guaranteed 1 year contract? Cut him post June 1 and the. Carry over the 21.3 million cap hit over 2 years rather than 1.

i think Brees on a pitch count .. he cant throw 30-40 times a games.. comes down to upgrading the offensive line, and Payton running the ball more.. You have to keep Taysom and he can take over in 2021, but if hes the future then you still need a backup plan..he will be near 30 and forget him playing special teams..

It's funny how many people say they have seen enough of him to know that he is not an NFL QB but Sean Payton and Drew Brees, probably good judges of QB talent, say the opposite.

They didn’t give Teddy 7 mill to stick around for nuthin. I don’t care what they say in public

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom