Mike Florio on Saints Free Agency Approach (1 Viewer)

I think he realizes a lot of Saints fans read him now. Especially after he was one of the few to actually research the bounty gate.

I don't think so. They didn't post anything about the Saints yesterday. Zip. Zero. Nada. They finally got around to Bushrod, but didn't post anything about retructuring of Vilma and Smith until this morning. I found out from other sources yesterday. We've scheduled a visit with a CB from Jacksonville and they haven't mentioned that yet and its been out there for 3 hours. If we're not splashing, PFT isn't even paying attention.

But they did post about the Colts signing a bunch of nobodies, so what gives?

"So fear not, Saints fans. Your team surely has a plan. And they definitely have an elite quarterback. Which is more than plenty of the teams making moves and spending money right now can say."

Lots of hopium being smoked elsewhere. Meanwhile, Loomis is playing the long game.

I don't think so. They didn't post anything about the Saints yesterday. Zip. Zero. Nada. They finally got around to Bushrod, but didn't post anything about retructuring of Vilma and Smith until this morning. I found out from other sources yesterday. We've scheduled a visit with a CB from Jacksonville and they haven't mentioned that yet and its been out there for 3 hours. If we're not splashing, PFT isn't even paying attention.

Players restructuring to stay on the same team just isn't that newsworthy to the nation at large on the day free agency starts.

Because we haven't done anything in FA. There was little to post about Vilma and Smith, as demonstrated by the sheer volume of hysterical misinformed panic that flooded this forum yesterday, until details were released.

Scheduling a visit with Derek Cox? In the context of all the signings that occurred yesterday, scheduling (but not even actually having it occur yet) a visit hardly ranks high on the news scale. The Colts may have signed a bunch of nobodies, but actually executing a contract is still more newsworthy than the complete absence of activity.

Frankly I hope it stays that way through the weekend. Let the big cap-free teams burn their roll out before we wade in.

The bad teams are the ones that go out and land the 5 year, $50mill ($30 guaranteed) FA's.

Good teams wait it out.

At least that's what ESPN told me this morning.

rarely do the champs of the offseason become the champs of the real season.

The better approach often is to apply patience and restraint. The market inevitably softens, and deals will be available at plenty of positions.
This needs to be sticky'd...

Meh

Well, they posted several restructurings about other teams throughout the day yesterday, so um... apparently its news if its not the saints.

I like PFT, read it a ton, but they do overlook us. I practically begged Florio to post about the Joe Vitt transcripts release, which I thought backed up his good character and showed a guy who had conviction that they had done things the right way. Florio finally did, 3 days after the fact.

I'm just saying, go back and look at some of their free agency posts in the last 24 hours. Sometimes I have to wonder about what they consider news.

With the 49ers and Seahawks loading the cannon with new players and the Falcons getting back Tony Gonzalez and the Bucs trying to spend their way into playoff contention, Saints fans are getting nervous.

We know that because we’re hearing from plenty of them. Repeatedly.

Sounds about right.

This needs to be sticky'd...

You know it's worth repeating that the 2011 champions of free agency, the Eagles, just released their crown jewel of that class, Nnamdi. And the 2012 champions, the Buffalo Bills, didn't make the playoffs. The 2010 champions, the Bears, did make the playoffs in 2010, just haven't been back since.

Incidentally, the Bears lost to the Packers, whose only free agent signing of any consequence (i.e. that played at all) was the immortal Charlie Peprah, someone they signed on April 26th.

"So fear not, Saints fans. Your team surely has a plan. And they definitely have an elite quarterback. Which is more than plenty of the teams making moves and spending money right now can say."

Lots of hopium being smoked elsewhere. Meanwhile, Loomis is playing the long game.
Did you just make up the Smoking Hopium phrase?

Never heard that before, but it is very clever.

Well, they posted several restructurings about other teams throughout the day yesterday, so um... apparently its news if its not the saints.

I like PFT, read it a ton, but they do overlook us. I practically begged Florio to post about the Joe Vitt transcripts release, which I thought backed up his good character and showed a guy who had conviction that they had done things the right way. Florio finally did, 3 days after the fact.

I'm just saying, go back and look at some of their free agency posts in the last 24 hours. Sometimes I have to wonder about what they consider news.

PFT was all over the Bounty Scandal (on the Saints side), much more than any other popular sports website.

I don't understand this post. Yesterday was the start of the league year and a FLOOD of free agent signings dominated the day. The restructuring of Vilma/Smith was important to us, as we wanted to know their status, but had been in the news for weeks. PFT (as a news source) was trying to get views yesterday (as noted by their acknowledgment that they saw over 6M hits yesterday) and NEW stories (ie free agent signings and visits) was the way to get that.

If you want to stay up-to-date on Saints moves, saintsreport.com is clearly the best option anyways. You have hundreds of users online at all times, many of whom are all simultaneously checking a very wide range of sources. It won't be posted here first, but it will be posted here within 3 seconds of it being posted elsewhere, and this forum covers all available sources while any one individual can only cover a finite/limited number.

Really the only reason to even bother looking elsewhere is so you can be one of the 7 threads that get merged together when something does happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom