Mike Florio on Saints Free Agency Approach (1 Viewer)

If you want to stay up-to-date on Saints moves, saintsreport.com is clearly the best option anyways. You have hundreds of users online at all times, many of whom are all simultaneously checking a very wide range of sources. It won't be posted here first, but it will be posted here within 3 seconds of it being posted elsewhere, and this forum covers all available sources while any one individual can only cover a finite/limited number.

Really the only reason to even bother looking elsewhere is so you can be one of the 7 threads that get merged together when something does happen.

Yeah, this and twitter seem to be the fastest way. But the most reliable way is to let is all settle for a half day or so to get the whole story.

Yeah, this and twitter seem to be the fastest way. But the most reliable way is to let is all settle for a half day or so to get the whole story.

Absolutely. The extreme panic and hysteria regarding Vilma/Smith with wholly incomplete information was, quite possibly, one of the worst things I've seen on this forum. Which is saying a lot.

Florio is only restating the Saints FO FA approach since Loomis and SP in 2006.

It seems that many of our fans forget this every year. As if this year, when we're under significant cap pressure, will be the first year that we go out and make a big splash on the first day of free agency. Engage thy brains, people.

Maybe Florio has a point. In the last hour so many cuts have been made, there is bound to be a lot of good players available at good prices.

I realize I'm in the minority here. I do understand that Florio was our beacon in the bounty scandal. I'm not really slamming the site, just expressing disappointment.

Sample headlines:

-The Seattle Seahawks tendered offers to three restricted free agents on Tuesday.
-the Jets have restructured the contract of cornerback Antonio Cromartie.
-Free agent cornerback Jerraud Powers arrived in Arizona Tuesday night for a meeting with the Cardinals
-The Redskins and defensive tackle Kedric Golston reached agreement on a new three-year contract on Tuesday.

The list goes on. None of these are terribly exciting. They are retructurings and visits listed.

Vilma and Smith are bigger names than these guys, save for Cromartie maybe. Just expressing a little disappointment.

He's right. The difference between teams that don't make the playoffs year after year and the ones that do make them most years is whether or not the QB can play well enough to beat the other team. I like the fact that he makes the statement concerning Brees being a true elite QB, not one of those who get named that after a good post-season (see Flacco, Joe). I'm wondering when the fans of the Ravens begin to regret THAT contract. He was mostly awful until the post-season, when he went on a tear.

If you want to stay up-to-date on Saints moves, saintsreport.com is clearly the best option anyways. You have hundreds of users online at all times, many of whom are all simultaneously checking a very wide range of sources. It won't be posted here first, but it will be posted here within 3 seconds of it being posted elsewhere, and this forum covers all available sources while any one individual can only cover a finite/limited number.

Really the only reason to even bother looking elsewhere is so you can be one of the 7 threads that get merged together when something does happen.

in the immortal words of sam kinnison. " i like the way you think", I'll be keeping my eye's on you!!!

While I respect our FA strategy to take things slowy and not get trapped in bad contracts, the "make it happen Loomis" mantra has made me believe that anything is possible...so I admit that I might have had some unrealistic expectations. Of course, I haven't been running around screaming and whining like some, but I was slight disappoint yesterday.

One know who else is out there playing a quiet? The Patriots. The elite teams of the NFL?They know how the game works. Just sit back and enjoy the show.

I realize I'm in the minority here. I do understand that Florio was our beacon in the bounty scandal. I'm not really slamming the site, just expressing disappointment.

Sample headlines:

-The Seattle Seahawks tendered offers to three restricted free agents on Tuesday.
-the Jets have restructured the contract of cornerback Antonio Cromartie.
-Free agent cornerback Jerraud Powers arrived in Arizona Tuesday night for a meeting with the Cardinals
-The Redskins and defensive tackle Kedric Golston reached agreement on a new three-year contract on Tuesday.

The list goes on. None of these are terribly exciting. They are retructurings and visits listed.

Vilma and Smith are bigger names than these guys, save for Cromartie maybe. Just expressing a little disappointment.

You complain about this, and he just posted an article about the Saints that's really about nothing. I was actually quite surprised that he would take the time to write about the Saints when they are not the only team that's done nothing in free agency yet. To me, that seems like special attention.

What Florio fails to mention, is that staying put, and let the bad teams spend the money hardly works for the Saints.... Of the FA pickups, only C Lofton is noteworthy....Bunkley was OK, but nothing special.....and who else?...well, nobody else.

Or, we can go back to previous year FA acquisitions...Kennedy?, S Rogers? Both of them were released the following year...

We can say with some degree of certainty that the Saints FO has problems finding good players in FA.... most of the FA pick ups never pan out............maybe this year is different.

What Florio fails to mention, is that staying put, and let the bad teams spend the money hardly works for the Saints.... Of the FA pickups, only C Lofton is noteworthy....Bunkley was OK, but nothing special.....and who else?...well, nobody else.

Or, we can go back to previous year FA acquisitions...Kennedy?, S Rogers? Both of them were released the following year...

We can say with some degree of certainty that the Saints FO has problems finding good players in FA.... most of the FA pick ups never pan out............maybe this year is different.

Everyone has problems finding good players in FA. That's why staying out is a good move. Given the success rate in FA is pretty bad, and given that even when you do finding a contributor you likely overpaid for them, standing pat and overspending less for marginal players is a good move.

The best teams in free agency are teams like the Packers and Ravens who never spend a dime, just collect compensatory picks, or teams like New England and San Francisco who pick off under appreciated older players late, late in the process on cheap short term deals.

Arguably we should be doing less. Certainly not more.

But, since you asked, Saints FA successes
Ben Grubbs
Curtis Lofton
Jabari Greer
Darren Sharper
Darren Sproles
Drew Brees

We've had some success. Franklin wasn't that bad for us either, our decision to not retain him had more to do with Spags replacing Williams than his performance I think (less 3-man fronts).

While I was reading this thread, did we sign anybody? And why don't we have a live skycam over the facility?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom