Mike Greenberg's Best Player in the NFL. Guess who. (1 Viewer)

I agree with everything. Mike Thomas is the best player in the league and personally, he's my favorite player.

However, how does he have 0 drops? If I remember correctly, he dropped a TD vs the Bucs last week.

Drops are considered catchable passes that are dropped, even difficult ones.

That one was more of a throwaway that he actually made close...therefore not considered a drop.

From just yards away, it was fired behind him and below his back knees.

Brees didn’t have what he wanted and safely got rid of it.

But darned if Mike didn’t spin and get his hands on something he had no business touching.

But definitely not a drop.

2nd Quarter - 5:19 Remaining
Looking at the highlights the play at 5:19 was the touchdown to Cook. So obviously it was the first down play just before that, but I don't remember what we did there. Can you describe it?

Looking at the highlights the play at 5:19 was the touchdown to Cook. So obviously it was the first down play just before that, but I don't remember what we did there. Can you describe it?
See Outbackjack's post above. I agree it wasn't a simple perfect pass and he made a great effort to spin around and get hands on it. But, he did get both hands on it. I guess I just don't have a real good understanding of what criteria are required to pencil in a drop on the stat sheet.

His career catch rate of 78.3% is not only historic but mind blowing. Only other player in history that ended their career as a WR with an over 70% catch rate, Wes Welker. And he barely made it. The great receivers are almost all between 63 and 66 %.
MOST of Welker's catches were from the slot on short to intermediate passes. That's one of the main reasons for his high catch rate (not saying he wasn't great). Thomas is working on an entirely different plane.

Last edited:
Drops are considered catchable passes that are dropped, even difficult ones.

That one was more of a throwaway that he actually made close...therefore not considered a drop.

From just yards away, it was fired behind him and below his back knees.

Brees didn’t have what he wanted and safely got rid of it.

But darned if Mike didn’t spin and get his hands on something he had no business touching.

But definitely not a drop.

Now I remember the pass, thanks.

That first statement you made isn't true because the pass to Thomas would have been then been deemed a drop. Because as someone alluded to he got both hands on it. Do I think that should be a drop? No. And neither does the NFL, because it is indeed a "difficult" catch that you can't reasonably say someone should catch.

Mind blowing. But I also think the 0 drops is a tad generous. I thought there was around 3 that I had seen, but the one that sticks out to me is when Teddy came in for Drew in the Rams game. The timing was a bit off with Teddy waiting for Mike to square in at the line to gain and the throw was barely behind him, but I thought he should’ve caught it and expected him to catch it every time. I also thought he dropped a touchdown from Teddy on a hook at some point.
Regardless, he is still producing at an unprecedented rate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom