Mike Huckabee (1 Viewer)

BCLEMMS, thanks for the post of the day. I swear I learn more from this site on politics than any college class I have taken. Very well done.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/06/AR2008010602261.html

Money quote:

The Evolution Question:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t4Cc8t3Zd5E&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t4Cc8t3Zd5E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

"God's Army", Good Vs. Evil and an ability to utterly reject reason and fact when it doesn't suit one's preconceived ideology.

Yeah, that's the finger I want on The Button.

PS: With the possible exception of Romney (depending on how narrowly one defines "Christian") every single one of the Presidential candidates is a Christian. This has been the case for every election in my lifetime.

IIRC, there's only one or two non-monotheists at the federal level in any elected position.

Paul is an excellent candidate for president. What issues are you most interested in for this presidency?

There's my problem. No candidate fully encompasses what I want (not that I'm the only one).

I'm socially conservative (huge Pro-Life, for civil unions with full rights but believe marriage should be between a man and a woman) but I seriously doubt that anything would happen with either of those issues during this term.

I think the more money you have the more taxes you should pay.

I don't think their should be a timetable on Iraq (we screwed it up we should clean it up) but I do think its time to start downgrading and letting the people of Iraq start taking over.

I'm torn on immigration. I think something needs to be done ASAP. The border needs to be seriously beefed up and the illegal immigrants need to start paying taxes...but, and I know this sounds stupid, I feel amnesty is way to light and deportation is a little harsh.

Searching for alternitive fuels is a MUST and I like the idea of rewarding or punishing businesses for helping or hurting the environment...and Huckabee's reward for a 100 MPG car was great.

IMO, the government should not get involved with health insurance and welfare programs need to be more about teaching people skills as opposed to handing them cash or food stamps.

That's all I can think of right now but when I take those dumb quizzes, I rarely get higher than 30% with a candidate.

I thought I was a staunch conservative but maybe I just really hated Gore and Kerry and now Obama is appealing to me...as my 3rd or 4th favorite but much higher than I would have thought.

EDIT: I almost forgot, the thing I like most about Obama (and Edwards) is his stance against lobbyist. Get this trash over with and get politicians out of there pockets. I also like Obama (and McCain's) ability to work with both parties and feel this is the way politics needs to head.

Last edited:
There's my problem. No candidate fully encompasses what I want (not that I'm the only one).

I'm socially conservative (huge Pro-Life, for civil unions with full rights but believe marriage should be between a man and a woman) but I seriously doubt that anything would happen with either of those issues during this term.

I don't think their should be a timetable on Iraq (we screwed it up we should clean it up) but I do think its time to start downgrading and letting the people of Iraq start taking over.

I'm torn on immigration. I think something needs to be done ASAP. The border needs to be seriously beefed up and the illegal immigrants need to start paying taxes...but, and I know this sounds stupid, I feel amnesty is way to light and deportation is a little harsh.

Searching for alternitive fuels is a MUST and I like the idea of rewarding or punishing businesses for helping or hurting the environment...and Huckabee's reward for a 100 MPG car was great.

IMO, the government should not get involved with health insurance and welfare programs need to be more about teaching people skills as opposed to handing them cash or food stamps.

That's all I can think of right now but when I take those dumb quizzes, I rarely get higher than 30% with a candidate.

I thought I was a staunch conservative but maybe I just really hated Gore and Kerry and now Obama is appealing to me...as my 3rd or 4th favorite but much higher than I would have thought.

The only place you strongly differ from Paul is on taxes.

On immigration Paul has a stronger opinion on beefing up security.

He is just a little different on Iraq since he wants to immediatly announce troop withdrawal and bring them home as quickly as possible.

On alternate fuels he believes allowing the market to come up with a solution will bring an alternate source to the table.

Huckabee's Billion dollar to the first alternate energy vehicle sounds good in theory but a billion dollars is chump change to oil companies and a billion dollars is chump change compared to what the first reliable alternate energy vehicle would make on an open market. People are working on it. There are cars being run on water, air and hydrogen that are not really that far off.

Paul also has some issues with racist newsletters in the past. He did not write them but over a ten year period several people wrote them in his name and there is thick racism in the letters. Paul has denounced them and never spoken a racist word in 30 years as a public servant. There is a lot of mixed opinions out there and the story is still new so I'm still not sure what to think.

I love Paul's message but he has to clear those up.

Last edited:

Just go write yourself in on the ballot. :)

A vote for Democrat is a vote for socialized medicine. Once the government gets involved in our healthcare, if it will be anything like FEMA, or countless other federal departments, it's a pretty scary thought.

For the Iraq war, it's pretty touchy around here. I mean if you look at all the money we have spent. How long they plan to be over there. The question is pull out now or pull out later, with another few trillion spent. There is too much profiteering going on. Oil has gone from $30 a barrel before Iraq to $100. What exactly are we accomplishing. In South Iraq the british troops have pulled out and it's peaceful there.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UuPUFRusOBo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UuPUFRusOBo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

>>bclemms;879865]It isn't. Most of the candidates are Christians. The difference is Huckabee doesn't shut up about being Christian. He acts as if he is more Christian than the other candidates and is trying to use religion for political gain. If you ask me it is pretty sick and unchristian.

(I think what is important is that he's maintaining consistency with his Christian principles on moral issues [e.g. abortion...nearly every Christian Religion is against abortion and pro-life but many candidates who claim to be Christian support abortion in direct opposition to their Christian Faith], although I understand the logic of Christian who support positions in direct opposition to their Faith because they believe the Constitution and the Supreme Court are more influential than their Religion, I have a difficult time supporting anyone who supports this incongruent position.)

He wants to get rid of the IRS and establish a flat tax. I love the idea but doubt it would ever happen under him. Less tax? Wow, why didn't he use this in Arkansas.

I believe the context of these statements is balancing the budget. If revenue has to come from somewhere to balance the budget taxes seems like a likely candidate. I don't know whether or not taxes were the best source, but that was for the legislature to decide. As a side note: Huckabee's not proposing a flat income tax but rather a shift from an income tax to a consumption tax (think Sales tax).

Huckabee was being smashed pretty good for using god about the time the political christmas commercials came out. Instead of using a cross in his Christmas commercial he decided to use a window with some interesting lighting to say the least.

(Huckster responds on NBC News.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/19/huckabee-defends-ad-the-_n_77562.html
http://www.youtube.com/v/iKyZl_XYInU&rel=1<object height="355" width="425">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKyZl_XYInU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>Huckabee's son killed a dog at a summer camp by hanging it over a tree. I know this has nothing to do with Huckabee, until he tried to cover it up and used his political power to keep his son out of trouble.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/huckabee/dog.asp

(Read the article very carefully..."it's a he said, he said" item. It's inconclusive what happened here.)

Huckabee preaches about cutting government spending but in Arkansas he increased spending 220% during his tenure as Governor.

Huckabee has now started stealing pieces from Ron Paul's campaign. Calling it the Huckabee Revolution, talks about printing dollars (but doesn't get into specifics) and uses some of the same lines Paul has been using for quite some time, among other things.

Huckabee personally went to a parole board to urge for the release of a rapist. The rapist was released thanks to Huckster on the condition he moved out of state. The guy moved to Missouri then raped and murdered a woman.

(Huckabee tells a different story to CBS News).

http://www.youtube.com/v/Op9JHYPwmgA&rel=1<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Op9JHYPwmgA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Huckabee had 17 ethics violations while governor of Arkansas.<object height="355" width="425">

(</object>I'm concerned about his ethics issues. I wonder if he's the only candidate who may have a problem with accepting gifts or nepotism.)

http://matthewyglesias.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/01/mike_huckabees_catholic_proble.php

Huckabee has been real easy on illegal immigration while governor of Arkansas including giving scholarships to illegal aliens from state funded money.

(I believe this not punishing the child for the sins of the Parent. I agree with this stance as I believe most Americans do [mark it down, I may be with the majority on an issue]).

Just a few weeks ago he made political ads throwing mud at Romney. The day the commercials were supposed to air he called a press conference to announce he wasn't going to air the ads and then showed the media which ads he wasn't airing so they could play them on the news for him. In other words he was out of money, tried to use the media for free press, tried to make himself look good for running attack ads and then showed the attack ads to the media so they could run them. This was in Iowa but now in South Carolina he thinks it is ok to run the same attack ads against Romney. Glenn Beck puts it best from his bedroom.

I'm not too swayed by Beck in his Yale T-shirt. Looked like he had a personal axe to grind.

He carries a lot of dirty laundry and has pretty short political history. The reason you hear him bashed so much about his christian background is because he hasn't acted very christian.

(I believe, as do many Christians, that we all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God; however, we should not lower the bar in an attempt to lessen our transgressions. If you can show me the PERFECT candidate, s/he has my vote. I'm not saying I'm declared for Huckabee yet, but I'm not going to hate him because he's Christian.)

Racist things brought up from 20 years ago. Someone brought it back up right before the primary. Anyway Dr. Paul released an explanation with this press release

January 8, 2008 5:28 am EST

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – In response to an article published by The New Republic, Ron Paul issued the following statement:

“The quotations in The New Republic article are not mine and do not represent what I believe or have ever believed. I have never uttered such words and denounce such small-minded thoughts.

“In fact, I have always agreed with Martin Luther King, Jr. that we should only be concerned with the content of a person's character, not the color of their skin. As I stated on the floor of the U.S. House on April 20, 1999: ‘I rise in great respect for the courage and high ideals of Rosa Parks who stood steadfastly for the rights of individuals against unjust laws and oppressive governmental policies.’

“This story is old news and has been rehashed for over a decade. It's once again being resurrected for obvious political reasons on the day of the New Hampshire primary.

“When I was out of Congress and practicing medicine full-time, a newsletter was published under my name that I did not edit. Several writers contributed to the product. For over a decade, I have publicly taken moral responsibility for not paying closer attention to what went out under my name.”

The only place you strongly differ from Paul is on taxes.

On immigration Paul has a stronger opinion on beefing up security.

He is just a little different on Iraq since he wants to immediatly announce troop withdrawal and bring them home as quickly as possible.

On alternate fuels he believes allowing the market to come up with a solution will bring an alternate source to the table.

Huckabee's Billion dollar to the first alternate energy vehicle sounds good in theory but a billion dollars is chump change to oil companies and a billion dollars is chump change compared to what the first reliable alternate energy vehicle would make on an open market. People are working on it. There are cars being run on water, air and hydrogen that are not really that far off.

Paul also has some issues with racist newsletters in the past. He did not write them but over a ten year period several people wrote them in his name and there is thick racism in the letters. Paul has denounced them and never spoken a racist word in 30 years as a public servant. There is a lot of mixed opinions out there and the story is still new so I'm still not sure what to think.

I love Paul's message but he has to clear those up.

I tried to like Paul. I wanted to like Paul....but he just has this aire about him like a rambling old loon. I love his ideas, but I just feel like the figurehead of this country needs to be a little stronger (not just sitting there while others bash him) and have a little more charisma.

Most people would agree that when it comes to the actual issues, a president's cabinet is more important than the actual president's opinions and that makes me feel like Paul would make the perfect cabinet member or VP.

AND what the heck is up with the 'interesting lighing in the window' in the Christmas commercial? I'm not seeing it in those videos.

>>bclemms;879865]It isn't. Most of the candidates are Christians. The difference is Huckabee doesn't shut up about being Christian. He acts as if he is more Christian than the other candidates and is trying to use religion for political gain. If you ask me it is pretty sick and unchristian.

(I think what is important is that he's maintaining consistency with his Christian principles on moral issues [e.g. abortion...nearly every Christian Religion is against abortion and pro-life but many candidates who claim to be Christian support abortion in direct opposition to their Christian Faith], although I understand the logic of Christian who support positions in direct opposition to their Faith because they believe the Constitution and the Supreme Court are more influential than their Religion, I have a difficult time supporting anyone who supports this incongruent position.)

He wants to get rid of the IRS and establish a flat tax. I love the idea but doubt it would ever happen under him. Less tax? Wow, why didn't he use this in Arkansas.

I believe the context of these statements is balancing the budget. If revenue has to come from somewhere to balance the budget taxes seems like a likely candidate. I don't know whether or not taxes were the best source, but that was for the legislature to decide. As a side note: Huckabee's not proposing a flat income tax but rather a shift from an income tax to a consumption tax (think Sales tax).

Huckabee was being smashed pretty good for using god about the time the political christmas commercials came out. Instead of using a cross in his Christmas commercial he decided to use a window with some interesting lighting to say the least.

(Huckster responds on NBC News.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/19/huckabee-defends-ad-the-_n_77562.html
http://www.youtube.com/v/iKyZl_XYInU&rel=1<object height="355" width="425">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKyZl_XYInU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>Huckabee's son killed a dog at a summer camp by hanging it over a tree. I know this has nothing to do with Huckabee, until he tried to cover it up and used his political power to keep his son out of trouble.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/huckabee/dog.asp

(Read the article very carefully..."it's a he said, he said" item. It's inconclusive what happened here.)

Huckabee preaches about cutting government spending but in Arkansas he increased spending 220% during his tenure as Governor.

Huckabee has now started stealing pieces from Ron Paul's campaign. Calling it the Huckabee Revolution, talks about printing dollars (but doesn't get into specifics) and uses some of the same lines Paul has been using for quite some time, among other things.

Huckabee personally went to a parole board to urge for the release of a rapist. The rapist was released thanks to Huckster on the condition he moved out of state. The guy moved to Missouri then raped and murdered a woman.

(Huckabee tells a different story to CBS News).

http://www.youtube.com/v/Op9JHYPwmgA&rel=1<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Op9JHYPwmgA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Huckabee had 17 ethics violations while governor of Arkansas.<object height="355" width="425">

(</object>I'm concerned about his ethics issues. I wonder if he's the only candidate who may have a problem with accepting gifts or nepotism.)

http://matthewyglesias.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/01/mike_huckabees_catholic_proble.php

Huckabee has been real easy on illegal immigration while governor of Arkansas including giving scholarships to illegal aliens from state funded money.

(I believe this not punishing the child for the sins of the Parent. I agree with this stance as I believe most Americans do [mark it down, I may be with the majority on an issue]).

Just a few weeks ago he made political ads throwing mud at Romney. The day the commercials were supposed to air he called a press conference to announce he wasn't going to air the ads and then showed the media which ads he wasn't airing so they could play them on the news for him. In other words he was out of money, tried to use the media for free press, tried to make himself look good for running attack ads and then showed the attack ads to the media so they could run them. This was in Iowa but now in South Carolina he thinks it is ok to run the same attack ads against Romney. Glenn Beck puts it best from his bedroom.

I'm not too swayed by Beck in his Yale T-shirt. Looked like he had a personal axe to grind.

He carries a lot of dirty laundry and has pretty short political history. The reason you hear him bashed so much about his christian background is because he hasn't acted very christian.

(I believe, as do many Christians, that we all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God; however, we should not lower the bar in an attempt to lessen our transgressions. If you can show me the PERFECT candidate, s/he has my vote. I'm not saying I'm declared for Huckabee yet, but I'm not going to hate him because he's Christian.)

If he had to tax to get cut into Arkansas' deficit what will be different if he wins the election and steps into a $9 trillion deficit and a $53 trillion social security and medicare deficit?

I didn't ask you to hate him, just asked you to look at him objectively. Huckabee is one of a dozen Christians in the race.

Huckabee tells a lot of different stories but they usually aren't told with facts, instead they are told with emotion.

"I believe, as do many Christians, that we all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God; however, we should not lower the bar in an attempt to lessen our transgressions"
If that is the case then all of the candidates are really good people. I'm not saying that isn't the right way to live but don't hold Huckabee under this light and forget it when the rest of the candidates have major issues come up.

He is far from the only candidate accepting gifts. In fact all of them accept Paul and Kucinich have.

I don't care if you like Beck's opinion. I think Huckabee was extremely shady with the attack ads and he tried to make himself look like a nice guy by not running the ads, then showed them to the press so they would run it for him. He even talked about how he was above attacking a candidate with ads in Iowa at the same time he was running the ads in South Carolina. Is that Christian? This isn't an oops, I made a mistake. This is calculated decisions trying to manipulate the vote with different messages to different people.

I have nothing against Christians. I just don't like hypocrisy.

The lighting in the background of the window makes the shape of a cross. He didn't want to put a cross in the ad because he would get slammed for trying to use religion to sway votes, so instead he made another calculated decision to use lighting to make a window frame look like a cross. It really isn't a big deal but just another example of Huckabee being a politician.

Last edited:
>>A vote for Democrat is a vote for socialized medicine. Once the government gets involved in our healthcare, if it will be anything like FEMA, or countless other federal departments, it's a pretty scary thought.

Socialized Medicine is a red herring term that goes back to like the turn of the 20th Century when it was used as a lobbying point by the AMA. Can you even define socialized medicine? You have to go to probably the British system to have that which is where the government owns the hospitals, clinics, facillities and pays all the checks. The likelihood of anything like that coming to America is slim and none. Charges of "Socialized Medicine" have come up in the 40's 60's 70's and since. And every single time it is a bogus charge.

FWIW, we have numerous systems in place now from govermental/university care to completely private care. However, the majority of our healthcare now is controlled by insurance companies who have a vested interest in making money. YOURS. The more they save, the more they can pay on their dividends and annuities. How this is right is beyond me.

Here's a paraquote from Senator Obama's speech last night, "We're going to sit people and doctors down at the table. Sure, insurance and pharmaceutial companies will have a seat at the table too, but they won't be able to buy them all."

That's the kind of government I want, you know, a government for and by the people and not controlled by corporate interests. You are apparently more interested in a strict-constitutionalist system where the government performs their constitutional duties and nothing else. I appreciate that rhetoric, but it's impratical.

TPS

>>A vote for Democrat is a vote for socialized medicine. Once the government gets involved in our healthcare, if it will be anything like FEMA, or countless other federal departments, it's a pretty scary thought.

Socialized Medicine is a red herring term that goes back to like the turn of the 20th Century when it was used as a lobbying point by the AMA. Can you even define socialized medicine? You have to go to probably the British system to have that which is where the government owns the hospitals, clinics, facillities and pays all the checks. The likelihood of anything like that coming to America is slim and none. Charges of "Socialized Medicine" have come up in the 40's 60's 70's and since. And every single time it is a bogus charge.

FWIW, we have numerous systems in place now from govermental/university care to completely private care. However, the majority of our healthcare now is controlled by insurance companies who have a vested interest in making money. YOURS. The more they save, the more they can pay on their dividends and annuities. How this is right is beyond me.

Here's a paraquote from Senator Obama's speech last night, "We're going to sit people and doctors down at the table. Sure, insurance and pharmaceutial companies will ahve a seat at the table too, but they won't be able to buy them all."

That's the kind of government I want, you know, a government for and by the people and not controlled by corporate interests. You are apparently more interested in a strict-constitutionalist system where the government performs their constitutional duties and nothing else. I appreciate that rhetoric, but it's impratical.

TPS

Both systems are impractical if the insurance and drug companies continue to buy the laws. Both Paul and Obama have very good points and both are very strong against lobbyists and special interest policies. There are plenty of examples of the government getting involved in business and screwing it up royaly. The main problem is the special interest groups. That is why lobbying is such a huge issue to me.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2KdJ0D_aiVA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2KdJ0D_aiVA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
you have to appreciate the genius of Huckabee with that trick though. It may be true that Huckabee is a politician and not straightforward genuine guy, but he is better at being a politician than the other politicians. Im very skeptical of this Glen Beck piece, this guy with a nationally syndicated Clear Channel show assassinating Huckabee and then lamenting "if only someone in the media would report on this..." No surprise that Romney's biggest competition is taking a beating right now from the corporate media, but its funny that Beck uses the same technique he criticized Huckabee for.

I wouldn't worry to much about voting for a new president. Bush will be the first American King and the heads of all these candidates will be mounted on bloody spears outside the "White Palace" gates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom