Mike Mayock... "There are no Safeties in the 2008 draft worth a 1st round pick." (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
I was watching Senior Bowl practices last night on NFLN, and heard draft "expert" Mike Mayock make that statement. He said Kenny Phillips is the best FS in this draft, but that he would not go until the 2nd round. I know alot of people around here (myself included) have really thought Phillips is a real possibility at the #10 spot... but this guy's saying he's not even worth a 1st rounder, let alone a top 10 pick.

Anybody else here this?

Kenny has slipped on alot of draft boards. I've seen most still having him in the first round, but not til the 20s.

I agree, I really don't understand the Kenny Phillips love. It's mostly because of the Josh Bullocks hate, which isn't warranted.

This makes me think more and more than the pick is gonna be Keith Rivers if he is there...

I personally want to trade down a few spots....into the 17-20 range...we are in a tough position in Rivers is not there...

This makes me think more and more than the pick is gonna be Keith Rivers if he is there...

I personally want to trade down a few spots....into the 17-20 range...we are in a tough position in Rivers is not there...

I'm starting to like Dan Conner more and more too. He has shown better athleticism than many thought, and he's got great instincts... you can't teach that.

Mayock thrives off of being unconventional in his opinions and attempts to distance himself from the Mel Kipers and Todd McShay's of the world. A lot of what he says is him just going out on a limb to be different. I'm not saying that doesn't mean he will be correct in the long run, but I do sometimes question his exact motives.

The knock against Kenny Phillips is that for all of his athleticism he didn't consistently make plays for the hurricanes...

He has a habit of disappearing in games.

I ask this question in a long thread I just posted:

We all know that Phillips is a playmaker, but how much of a contribution will he make on a scheme where he will be restricted by assignements instead of roaming the field as an outfielder?

And Mel Kiper has Keith Rivers and Dan Conner going 30 and 31. These draft gurus are just trying to go out on a limb to hopefully look smart. I'll be my left nut Phillips goes in the top 15.

And Mel Kiper has Keith Rivers and Dan Conner going 30 and 31. These draft gurus are just trying to go out on a limb to hopefully look smart. I'll be my left nut Phillips goes in the top 15.

Yeah, but so did Ryan Leaf. Phillips is a guy that will thrive if he's in a certain scheme and scenario. We don't have that.

Ahhhhh Draft season

This time of the year is always so crazy........ After the combine things will start taking a little more shape but outside of the top 2 or 3 picks it is pretty much a crap shot as to what players are going where every year. Of course we all have our own thoughts on what is going to happen but those dang NFL GM's mess everything up and do stuff no one is expecting. I am looking forward to see what surprise will take place this season..... will it be a player dropping (Quinn) or someone jumping up and grabbing someone throwing the whole draft upside down and shaking things up.

Yeah, but so did Ryan Leaf. Phillips is a guy that will thrive if he's in a certain scheme and scenario. We don't have that.

We play a majority of man with 1/2 deep zones. So yeah, we do have that. The Ryan Leaf comparison can be made with every player in the draft. Noone is a sure thing.

I am not a huge Kenny Phillips fan.

I would prefer to get a guy like Marcus Griffin in the 2nd round.

I think our love for Phillips has more to do with our dislike for the guy that currently plays the position... I'd take Ellis (dreaming that he falls) or Rivers... after the Senior Bowl my wish list will probably change...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom