Mike Mayock's evaluations (1 Viewer)

canuckredux

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I've been following his evaluations for a few years and every year I think less and less of him. For example, in 2006, he was bad-mouthing Marcus McNeill, calling him a "heavy-legged waist-bender," fast forward 2 seasons, he might be the best player, at any position, to come out of that draft. Same year, Reggie Bush is "The best prospect I've seen in 10 years at any position" fast forward 2 seasons, he's hardly lived up to the hype. Now, he was following the Reggie Bush hype machine, for sure; everyone was impressed by him and Marcus McNeill DID fall to the 2nd round, but he's supposed to be able to get past they hype and consensus and maybe even go against the grain from time to time. Now we have this, his evaluation of RBs:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806a7d2e

Kudos to him for going against the grain and pegging Mendenhall as his best RB. At least he's saying he's not being bowled over by the hype, but what can we really get out of his evaluations? How insightful are his little highlight reels? Look at the 40 second mark, when describing Mendenhall:

"That cut, right there, told me everything I needed to know about him."

So you're basing your analysis of a potential 15 year career because he made a cut? Care to show any highlights of McFadden cutting through LSU's defense like a hot knife through warm butter? He freely admits he's only seen a few tapes of these guys; it seems that he doesn't really follow college football, what does he do the rest of the year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UX_UrxOKRA

Talking about McKelvin, at 4:36:

"He's so quick to jump the route, that the ball actually goes over his head... and it's caught by the offensive receiver."

So what he's telling us is that he DOESN'T have a feel for timing and route-jumping and also says that he has poor ball skills. Remind me why this guy is the #1 CB?

Anyone else think that Mayock may need to start following college football, rather than watching a few highlight reels after the season is over?

yeah , he was crazy about houston and he wasn't the best cb, but he loved cutler and he turned out ok, but I wish there was one that was close to how the nfl saw them, houston for instance wasn't drafted in the first round let alone first, had the measurables but hadn't shown anything on the field and that counts more.

The Draft is always going to be a hit an miss game. Its certainly not a perfect science.

Also bear in mind that Maycock is making his evaluations in exactly the same way the GM and coaches who make the actual picks will be making their evaluations. I dont think the GM and coaches watch that many college games, my bet is that they do most of their evaluation from highlight reels and game film as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom