Mike Pereira alleges Roger Goodell shoved him during an argument in 2001 (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mike Pereira: Roger Goodell shoved me during argument about officiating | ProFootballTalk

Former NFL head of officiating Mike Pereira has leveled a serious allegation of workplace misconduct against NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Pereira writes in his forthcoming book that Goodell shoved him during a heated argument about the infamous 2001 “Bottlegate” game, when referee Terry McAulay stopped the game with 43 seconds left while Cleveland fans threw bottles on the field.

“Goodell persisted, but I refused to give in. What happened next was anything but good. The conversation escalated, and when he was down in front of my office, with others present, he was so frustrated and, I’m sure, getting so much heat from Cleveland that he gave me a hard shove into my door to try and continue the argument about McAulay in my office. Quite frankly, it startled me, and I think it startled him a little because the discussion ended shortly after that,” Pereira writes, in an excerpt published by Deadspin.

I wonder how much traction this will get. In many work places, that's a fireable offense.

Now, it could just be a little creative license from the writer to add some drama to the story. But, this might be the thing that ends Goodell's tenure. If true, how many others did he berate, shove, get physical with?

That's all we need to get rid of that clown. I'll start with this analysis. We definitely don't need this animal in control of our league when he can't keep control of his own temper. He is a thug who should be banned from the sport for officiating domestic violence. He is a disgrace to the shield and we would be much better off with him in exile.

15 years ago?
Kind of beyond the statute of limitations.

(not to mention, it sounds really cry-baby-ish)

This thing won't get any traction whatsoever.

While it wouldn't surprise me I doubt if he ever got physical with any players. It would have come out immediately and and he probably would have received a beat down. Refs, on the other hand, that I could see as well as other employees of the league. Can they just fire this guy already?

Roger-Goodell.jpg

just out of curiosity what was Goodell persistent about and what did Perieria refuse? The article doesn't say so the context of what the disagreement was about is really unclear.

this is going to come down to whether he was looking back for the ball. You can get away with so much more of the ticky tack stuff if you get your head around.

(really wouldn't it be nice if this meant something but it just wont)

just out of curiosity what was Goodell persistent about and what did Perieria refuse? The article doesn't say so the context of what the disagreement was about is really unclear.

Well, we'd have to read the book. It's not out yet, just an excerpt.

I don't think the angle was to make it an allegation of work place violence, it's just part of the story about the argument about the reffing or whatever.

PFT just pumped the brakes when they read that to say.. hey.. that's not cool Roger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom